Open Carry Without a Permit

I would prefer minor government involvement to seeing a new posted business every time I go somewhere.

To be honest I see far more postings here in this TN based forum about posted business than I do in the EXTREMELY large and active MI based forum and again I so rarely see an actual posted sign that I've yet to have it affect my lifestyle...

[quote name="teecro" post="1137605" timestamp="1397305724"]To be honest I see far more postings here in this TN based forum about posted business than I do in the EXTREMELY large and active MI based forum and again I so rarely see an actual posted sign that I've yet to have it affect my lifestyle...[/quote] Probably because here those signs carry the force of the law. I suppose if they didnt, less businesses would bother posting and most HCPers wouldn't care about the ones that did. Just about every bank in my town is posted. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably because here those signs carry the force of the law. I suppose if they didnt, less businesses would bother posting and most HCPers wouldn't care about the ones that did. Just about every bank in my town is posted. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still not holding water here.... MI signs carry force of law and this means ANY sign even one scribbled in crayon...

[quote name="teecro" post="1137609" timestamp="1397307021"]Still not holding water here.... MI signs carry force of law and this means ANY sign even one scribbled in crayon...[/quote] Did not know that. Guess I broke some laws up there. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the biggest issue I've seen (including on this forum and in my own family) from "pro-2A citizens" - they don't support it because they HAVE or CAN GET an HCP and they don't want other's rights expanded for fear of additional postings.  I can guarantee if you were in a position where you were  a law abiding citizen but could not get an HCP for some reason, you would be all for it.  I have yet to see all of those with the Gadsden DTOM and mall ninja Facebook pictures put their money with their mouth is and actually support one of the biggest advances in TN Firearms laws in the past decade.  I can guarantee you, not all people who would be open carrying if this law passed would be the **** that walks around Walmart with a 6" Taurus Judge in a nylon Uncle Mike's Holster to act like a badass. While OC isn't ideal, if its passed, I damn sure will carry everywhere that isn't posted because its MY only option.  

*I'm sure this post will piss people off, so rant over - I don't mean to anger anybody, but provide another perspective on this bill*

• Like 3

Here's the biggest issue I've seen (including on this forum and in my own family) from "pro-2A citizens" - they don't support it because they HAVE or CAN GET an HCP and they don't want other's rights expanded for fear of additional postings.  I can guarantee if you were in a position where you were  a law abiding citizen but could not get an HCP for some reason, you would be all for it.  I have yet to see all of those with the Gadsden DTOM and mall ninja Facebook pictures put their money with their mouth is and actually support one of the biggest advances in TN Firearms laws in the past decade.  I can guarantee you, not all people who would be open carrying if this law passed would be the **** that walks around Walmart with a 6" Taurus Judge in a nylon Uncle Mike's Holster to act like a badass. While OC isn't ideal, if its passed, I damn sure will carry everywhere that isn't posted because its MY only option.  

*I'm sure this post will piss people off, so rant over - I don't mean to anger anybody, but provide another perspective on this bill*

I'm confused. Why would OC be your only option? Is there a reason you can't get a HCP at the moment? (Not trying to cause an arguement. I'm actually just curious.)

I started messing with pistols when I lived in Kentucky (roughly 40 years ago). Open carry has always been legal there. I only recall seeing one guy open carrying. I still spend quite a bit of time in KY, and still haven't seen anybody carrying openly. So, if a bunch of folks strap on their hoglegs when it passes here, it will be because it's a new thing.

I think before anyone is allowed to carry a pistol, they should have some knowledge of the legal use of a weapon.  We've had too many incidents of permit holders improper use of firearms after having training.  The thought of allowing weapon carry without training disturbs me.

In al honesty this is going the be an issue that many many businesses are going to have to struggle with. If it does get to the Governors desk and he does actually sign it. There are going to be far more people businesses are going to have to deal with. with even more people having the right to open carry the businesses will finaly be forced to make a decision on just how many customers they are willing to give up before they accept the fact that people are going to carry guns and just how many will be taking the signs down to keep their customer base in tact.............jmho 

[quote name="luvmyberetta" post="1137685" timestamp="1397318161"]I'm confused. Why would OC be your only option? Is there a reason you can't get a HCP at the moment? (Not trying to cause an arguement. I'm actually just curious.)[/quote] Age? I owned a pistol when I was 18 in an apt complex in the ghhheeeetttoo. Wasn't legally allowed to leave my apartment with it. I did. I was breaking the law each time. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by TMF
  • Like 3

I think before anyone is allowed to carry a pistol, they should have some knowledge of the legal use of a weapon.  We've had too many incidents of permit holders improper use of firearms after having training.  The thought of allowing weapon carry without training disturbs me.

We ain't blazing a trail. Just catching up.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
[quote name="TMF" post="1137696" timestamp="1397319510"]Age? I owned a pistol when I was 18 in an apt complex in the ghhheeeetttoo. Wasn't legally allowed to leave my apartment with it. I did. I was breaking the law each time.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote] "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." Frederíc Bastiat
[quote name="Chucktshoes" post="1137703" timestamp="1397320028"]"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." Frederíc Bastiat[/quote] Funny you mention that, I used to run a red turn light for several years, every day on principle. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Training doesn't stop Darwin.

• Like 3

Still not holding water here.... MI signs carry force of law and this means ANY sign even one scribbled in crayon...

Isn't private posted property there just treated as a possible trespassing charge if you violate it and refuse to leave if asked?  If that's correct, that's quite different concept from the Class B 'meanor in TN specifically for ignoring a sign.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I think this bill needs to be approved. I have read some of the posts about training, etc as a concern. IMO training comes with just being safe, some basic hundgun training and practice, it has nothing to do with gorilla warfaire or military or police type training. It is the first step to carrying a handgun without a carry permit, either concealed or open. Very few people will ever get into a shoot out.

Being able to exercise your constitutional right is what is important not being a bullseye shooter, tactical shooter, and on and on.

Being able to exercise your constitutional right is what is important not being a bullseye shooter, tactical shooter, and on and on.

The currently required training rarely even touches on how to shoot--it's mostly about legalities. Yes, there is the 50 round qualification that my five year old daughter could probably ace, but it is a half-hearted eye-rolling attempt to prove the applicant's marksmanship.  Rangemaster in Memphis is the one of the few places that spends the last hour or two of class teaching some shooting basics instead of telling LEO war stories.  Most places don't get into how to use a gun until you get to their tactical ninja level 2 class, etc. 

Please refresh my memory. Before there was HCPing, wasn't it okay to open carry a handgun or unloaded long gun / shotgun in Tennessee (Knoxville specifically)? I seem to recall in Knoxville in the 60's being told by a LEO it was okay to strap on a six-shooter and walk down Gay Street (that's the name of the main business street in Knoxville). Am I dreaming? I think this Bill simply sets things back to the way they were. That said, I am all in favor of a minimum age and hunter safety / gun safety training as long as it's reasonable. Some states have gone beyond reason with unnecessarily long training requirements that discourage new hunters and keep people who should be trained out of classes.

Edited by Vistar

Isn't private posted property there just treated as a possible trespassing charge if you violate it and refuse to leave if asked?  If that's correct, that's quite different concept from the Class B 'meanor in TN specifically for ignoring a sign.

- OS

Yes OS you are correct in that in MI it is a trespass charge, and I see that TN has placed the charges higher on the shelf; I'll surely be cautious of this once I'm on your soil. My point was more to indicate that MI has had open carry without permit/training for quite some time and very few business are posted as no carry zones...