Open Carry Without a Permit

So let me get this straight. A bill that was overwhelmingly passed was shot down by a 10 man subcommittee because they, out of the blue, decided there was a $100K cost attached to it because in their minds a line about “concealed carry” would have to added to our permits?
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight. A bill that was overwhelmingly passed was shot down by a 10 man subcommittee because they, out of the blue, decided there was a $100K cost attached to it because in their minds a line about “concealed carry” would have to added to our permits?

And the sponsor thinks they killed it 'fair and square'?  What is fair and square about not even allowing the bill to come to a floor vote to really be passed or killed, fairly?

I've already gone through the trouble and aggravation and paid the initial $115 ransom that the state places on my rights in this case.  Heck, I have about another two and a half years before I have to pay the next $50 installment of the ongoing ransom that Tennessee attaches to the 'privilege' of exercising a natural right, plus I would keep the permit, regardless, because I prefer to carry concealed.  That said, all the back room dealing and Republican, "We are for your rights at election time as long as you don't actually expect us to support those rights in the legislature," bull#### and the way Haslam talks down our rights any time he gets a chance turns my stomach.  Even with wishy-washy Republicans in the House this bill would at least have had a chance if "I quit MAIG to join the NRA" Haslam had spoken in support of it.  At this point I think I'd almost rather have a Democrat who is openly hostile to our cause in office rather than Haslam and his freakin' bunch of Republicans who continually stab us in the back.

Edited by JAB

And the sponsor thinks they killed it 'fair and square'?  What is fair and square about not even allowing the bill to come to a floor vote to really be passed or killed, fairly?

Somebody read the riot act to him. Probably threatened to disappear his first born or something.

- OS

• Like 3
The way the law is worded makes a big deal. In MI if you drop the mag and empty chamber you are unloaded. Not so in TN. A loaded mag is considered a loaded gun. This is so because in MI a car is considered concealed. I had a permit the whole time I have carried in MI an to my understanding a sign has the weight of ask you to leave and if not trespassing. Ccp in MI gets around that unless federally protected. This from my FIL who lives there. A TN HCP is equivalent to a CCP in MI. You were probably good TMF. The wording of this law is very important. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

More Campfield - this on park carry - There Will Be Blood.

My parks protection bill (allowing guns in parks) was set to be heard after the budget. My house sponsor was there and ready to present the bill when the committee chair told him his bill was taken off notice NOT by him (the sponsor) but BY THE COMMITTEE!

That's a new one! I don't even recall Naifeh doing that.

I know we've made some gains, car carry is big...but still feeling more than a little betrayed by the triumvirate of Haslem, Harwell, and Ramsey. Now if Haslem vetoes car carry...

More Campfield - this on park carry - There Will Be Blood.

I know we've made some gains, car carry is big...but still feeling more than a little betrayed by the triumvirate of Haslem, Harwell, and Ramsey. Now if Haslem vetoes car carry...

and why would he not?  A few wheels, glass, and a frame makes little difference compared to OC. Especially when the gat is out on the seat.

Edited by R_Bert

Here's how I feel the law should be - either drastically improve the current training or remove it.  I personally feel that the training received in the cookie cutter 50-person classes is as I've said before " a piss poor excuse for training".  The fact that people I know have been through the class and still muzzle me and fail to remember basic TN Carry Laws amazes me - but thats society.  I feel that anybody who can own a gun has the right to carry it (with or without training - as the law permits).  If you are responsible enough to own a gun, you should be able to carry it...  

Reader's Digest Version - Improve or Remove Training & Allow All Gun Owners the right to Carry.  

Now if Haslem vetoes car carry...

and why would he not?  A few wheels, glass, and a frame makes little difference compared to OC. Especially when the gat is out on the seat.

Glad you highlited that in red for me, for as Camp said, there will be blood.*

* Speaking in terms of political rhetoric of course. No actual scum or villians were harmed by this bit of hyperbole.

Open carry without a permit is legal in many states and it has been that way for years. The irrational fears some of you are mentioning are the exact same used by the anti-gunners.

Very few people in TN open carry today. Why do you expect this would suddenly change if they made it legal without a permit?

I suspect the impact here will be minimal.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2

Open carry without a permit is legal in many states and it has been that way for years. The irrational fears some of you are mentioning are the exact same used by the anti-gunners.

Very few people in TN open carry today. Why do you expect this would suddenly change if they made it legal without a permit?

I totally agree, even though I prefer to carry concealed I wish this bill would pass.
  • Like 1

I totally agree, even though I prefer to carry concealed I wish this bill would pass.

I've met MANY people with this attitude who have taken the TN HCP courses and come out with a piss poor knowledge of TN Carry/Firearm laws, and refuse to listen to others because of what their instructor said. 

Do yourself a favor, (if you are bothered by those who don't know anything about TN gun laws) never go to LP and do a walk around and talk to the legislators, I have never met a group with less knowledge of the laws than that gaggle.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 4

So, we are ok with someone with no gun handling experience carry a gun?  That person will get themselves (or worse someone else) shot/ killed.  I agree that 2A rights shouldn't be limited but I also think people need to prove they have adequate knowledge to USE a gun.Just carrying it doesn't help anybody.  Come up with a way that keeps our freedoms free, but requires sufficient training to use a firearm and then you have my vote.  You have to keep the irresponsible and uneducated from just strapping on a gun and feeling empowered and then trying to use.  

Bring on your arguments

So, we are ok with someone with no reporting experience writing a blog?  That person will get themselves (or worse someone else) enraged/killed.  I agree that 1A rights shouldn't be limited but I also think people need to prove they have adequate knowledge to USE words.Just carrying a laptop doesn't help anybody.  Come up with a way that keeps our freedoms free, but requires sufficient training to use a blog and then you have my vote.  You have to keep the irresponsible and uneducated from just starting a blog and feeling empowered and then trying to use.  

Bring on your arguments

My argument is that rewritten this way it's ridiculous....

Why is the 2nd any different than the 1st?

Note: The quoted text has been altered.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

I agree that 2A rights shouldn't be limited but I also think people need to prove they have adequate knowledge to USE a gun.

These two statements are utterly and totally irreconcilable.  You fail at logic, and apparently freedom. 

• Like 9

So, we are ok with someone with no child handling experience produce a child?  That person will get themselves (or worse someone else) hurt/ aborted.  I agree that parenting rights shouldn't be limited but I also think people need to prove they have adequate knowledge to PRODUCE a child. Just having the plumbing doesn't help anybody.  Come up with a way that keeps our freedoms free, but requires sufficient training to produce a child and then you have my vote.  You have to keep the irresponsible and uneducated from just strapping on a woody and feeling empowered and then trying to use.  

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 7