Getting impatient.

My HCP expires in October of this year, seems that last time they sent my renewal about 6 months before it expired but I may be wrong.

How long has it taken for anyone else to get their renewal form?

The good news--the turn-around time, once you do submit the renewal, is only about three weeks...at least it was for me at my last renewal (February).  I suppose it could vary from month to month....

As long as you have your renewal form from the DMV you can still carry.

Or the letter from TNDOS, which they send to acknowledge your received application.

Btw, if you don't want to trust waiting on TNDOS to automatically send you renewal app at around the 3 month mark, you can simply call once you hit the six month window and they'll send you one earlier. I did that (and did receive the automatic one later, too).

Btw, my renewal took over  4 months. Had forgotten about it really, until it hit me I only had a couple weeks or less before I would have to start carrying the letter too. Called and they had no real explanation at all, said they'd "check on it". And got it days before I'd have to carry the letter.

'Course, my original permit took the whole 90 days, and obviously wouldn't have gotten it then without a bunch of communication on my part. Again, no real reason ever given. My illustrious checkered past or something,  I reckon. :) 

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I didn't really pay much attention to when my forms came because I went and renewed in person.  Luckily for me, the Rockwood, TN location isn't too far a drive from where I live and they still handle HCPs (many satellite offices/driver's testing centers - including the one in West Knoxville where I originally applied for my HCP, although in its old location, no longer do anything with HCPs - which seems pretty stupid, to me as I figure since HCPs are a 'service' the Dept, of Safety provides then all of their offices should handle those just like they do drivers licenses.)  It is a small office and there were only two or three other customers in there the day I went to renew.  They were actually calling my number to be served before I got the limited amount of paperwork for renewal filled out.  The nice lady at the counter even went as far as to fold my renewal receipt in some, specific way so that it had a 'pouch' on the front then she stuck my old HCP in that pouch.  That way if I hit the expiration date on my old one before the new one arrived I would still be covered and would have the receipt right there with my old HCP.

When it came time to renew my mom's HCP, she got forms in the mail but I took her to the DMV to renew that way.  The office was more crowded that day and they were having computer trouble so we had a bit of a wait but it still wasn't bad - and my mom also walked out with a receipt showing that her permit was good until the new one arrived.

Edited by JAB
It was never really a hassle for me to go to the DMV in West Nashville, I may just do that to get a new picture made. The old picture was taken long ago and I look a little older, plus i've lost a few pounds since then. If I haven't gotten the application by the middle of July i'll call them then go to the DMV after getting it, the reciept you get from the DMV is also recognized as your HCP.

If everything was the way "it should be", we would just keep a copy of the Bill Of Rights, 2nd Amendment in our wallet for our handgun carry permit. No expiration date, no renewal fees.

you can forget that idea. State has no intentions of losing that revenue they are getting from over 300,000 HCP  people and getting higher number every year..............jmho   That would be like issuing permanent drivers licenses or permanent license plates. Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime anyway............jmho

you can forget that idea. State has no intentions of losing that revenue they are getting from over 300,000 HCP  people and getting higher number every year..............jmho   That would be like issuing permanent drivers licenses or permanent license plates. Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime anyway............jmho

There's a scenerio or two where it could happen. If/when the economy tanks, and I really think it will some day maybe far off and we, the people, are in a bad way, crime skyrockets, many people weather they have a permit or not will take it upon themselves to carry a firearm, rules or no rules. It would be a scenerio where most people would just do it no matter what the government says.

P.S. I'm not advocating that, I just can see that happening as a possibility some day.

Also I thought there were now almost 450,000 HCP holders in Tennessee. Almost 1/2 million.

Edited by K191145

The May 2014 stats indicate 468,079 HCP holders in TN.  http://www.tn.gov/safety/stats/DL_Handgun/Handgun/Current_HG_PermitHolders.pdf

BTW, people always have and always will pack heat regarding what the law says.  I'm not condoning any type of behavior but it is the simple truth.

Especially if there's a bad situation like say some big natural disaster, many people who would not normally carry now would most likely choose personnal and family protection over the law. I wonder how many people without a permit stuck their nightstand .38 in their pocket after Katrina.

I got my renewal notice about three months prior to it expires in August. It only took about 2 weeks until it came in the mail.

Well mine expires Oct 28th. If I don't get it by the end of July i'll call sombody.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, got my renewal form today. I think I will go to the DMV this time to get another pic made, last pic was 8 years ago and I lost a few pounds since and my hair is not all brown anymore. What a difference 8 years can make.

• Like 1

Hey, got my renewal form today. I think I will go to the DMV this time to get another pic made, last pic was 8 years ago and I lost a few pounds since and my hair is not all brown anymore. What a difference 8 years can make.

Hit up the Dickson location. Much faster than West Nashville for all things DOS.

• Like 1

Hit up the Dickson location. Much faster than West Nashville for all things DOS.

They did not handle HCP's in Dickson a while back so I was told, if they do now I will definatly go there. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

Went ahead and mailed it yesterday, I called and they said a new photo wouldn't be on my DL if I took a new one for my HCP. I wish they would combine your DL and HCP and have them renewed at the same time. Of course not everybody who has a HCP drives so they would be issued a seperate HCP.

I'm assuming that your photo HCP is an official ID that can be used to vote.