Random PC thoughts on Redskins

There have been no "native americans" alive for a good 5,000 years.  They disappeared about 5,000 years after the mongols crossed the land bridge and invaded N. America.  The exact name that taxonomists and anthropologsts use for the American Indians is "mongoloid".  Derived from their Mongolian heritage.  Some of us are negroids, some of us are caucasoids, they are mongoloids.  Nothing offensive, just good scientific and technical terminology.  But it gives you a hint as to their derivations.

If the government can steal your intellectual property (patents and trademarks) they can steal you bank accounts, lawn mowers and big screen TVs.  Stealing is generally defined as illegally taking your property without permission or depriving you of  it's lawful use.

If the term were really offensive, the team would fail in the marketplace.  The marketplace being a better judge of most things than politicians.

There is no freedom to be not offended.  

Edited by jaysouth
  • Like 5

If Redskins is a derogatory term, and the government has a right or "responsibility" to step in, then we need to get a kickstarter campaign started to fund my wife's case on suing Little Debbie over the use of the derogatory word "Brownies"

Stupid  people have NO clue what they opened the door to.

• Like 1

What if the only part of my skin that's red is my neck? Am I supposed to be pissed about someone using the term redneck?

God, I'm sorry. I just can't work up an offended bone anywhere. Guess I'm just a normal, thick skinned, grown up American male.

Dammit.

Don't tell me your hair is white and collar blue, that is too American for today's society

Garfula, there are as many hundred scientists who would argue for this theory as would argue against it.  Seems to be a hotly debated subject on a very passionate level in academic circles.

Without arguing the science, or lack thereof, let's refer to your semantics.  You opine that they came from Mongolia or points further west.  If that is the case, they cannot be "natives".

Edited by jaysouth
My whole point is this. There's more important things for the government to do than this kind of thing. I don't believe any offense is intended and folks are just a bit sensitive. I'm called redneck, cracker etc and I don't care. People only have the power to offend if you give it to them. Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
  • Moderators
Saw this on Facebook this evening. The girl who said it makes a very good point.

The most interesting thing about the Redskins ordeal is that the brand “Redskins” is no longer protected under a trademark, because “it’s racist and defamatory.” Which means more people can use and mass produce this “racist, defamatory” name… Since... the entire point of the trademark was to give exclusive rights to the Redskins so others can’t use that image or that name. So… basically everyone was just given a green light on their racism. Way to go, government.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 3
I'm still trying to get people to call me a European, Irish, small bit of Indian American. The term "white" is very derogatory to me. I mean, I'm no where near "white". How dare they? I'm more peach colored than anything Edited by KKing
  • Like 4

I'm still trying to get people to call me a European, Irish, small bit of Indian American. The term "white" is very derogatory to me. I mean, I'm no where near "white". How dare they? I'm more peach colored than anything

Just when I was starting to accept being called white, things get complicated.....just "peachy"....

Dave

Seems like I deal with this kind of thing with my 10 year old daughter all the time.  "Daddy you should have seen the way she looked at me" or "she called me a name". In the semi grown up world it is the guy that flips you off going down the road, I laugh and wave and think is that the best you got. Your middle finger, really.  As others have said we choose what offends us.  If you are offended by the Redskins name then do not support the team or buy the merchandise but just because you are offended does not mean the rest of us are.

Edited by 45guy
  • Like 3

Good take on it Steelharp.

On a more serious note though. I've tried to stay out of this one.

I personally have no hatred for the name "Redskins" being used by the team. I sincerely believe it is not meant to insult nor antagonize anyone of native American heritage. Me, for example.

My Cherokee blood doesn't boil when hearing the word, nor do I feel personally offended.

Not saying there are not people who are, but in these days of taken offense from the slightest word; even the innuendo of hate or offensiveness sends some people into a sniveling, screaming fit. 

Next, we'll be saying that the Beavers and Bears as team names are offensive to the animals.

People...get a life.  And if possible, some sense. Please.

• Like 2
[quote name="Randall53" post="1162286" timestamp="1403653138"]A Native American group has sued the Cleveland Indians over their mascot.[/quote]while the indians should choose a new mascot, theirs is nothing like Washington's. I think the Cleveland team mascot makes a lighthearted novelty out of the past treatment, but is not racially offensive. Many people will group them together, I feel it is apples to oranges. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
[quote name="UncleJak" post="1162469" timestamp="1403711138"]while the indians should choose a new mascot, theirs is nothing like Washington's. I think the Cleveland team mascot makes a lighthearted novelty out of the past treatment, but is not racially offensive. Many people will group them together, I feel it is apples to oranges.Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee[/quote] How do you feel about the Braves? Not being sarcastic
  • Moderators

while the indians should choose a new mascot, theirs is nothing like Washington's. I think the Cleveland team mascot makes a lighthearted novelty out of the past treatment, but is not racially offensive. Many people will group them together, I feel it is apples to oranges. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

So what makes your feelings on the matter any more valid than theirs? Or hipower's? Or mine? Or Steelharp's? Or Dan Snyder's? Also, while one person or group may have a particular view or feeling on the matter, what right do they have to impose that view on others by use of the aggressive force of government such as is the case here with the Patent & Trademark Office.

[quote name="KKing" post="1162470" timestamp="1403711367"]How do you feel about the Braves? Not being sarcastic[/quote] I don't know enough about the braves to say one way or the other. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

So what makes your feelings on the matter any more valid than theirs? Or hipower's? Or mine? Or Steelharp's? Or Dan Snyder's? Also, while one person or group may have a particular view or feeling on the matter, what right do they have to impose that view on others by use of the aggressive force of government such as is the case here with the Patent & Trademark Office.

I am simply providing an opinion of my own. I do speak  sentiments similar to several tribes but I do not speak for them, they speak for themselves. 

One thing I do know: each of these mascot cases are different. I cannot group them together and make one decision that blankets every case.