TN Bill 1774 -- Lawful carry in vehicle without permit

Yes. That whole section is deleted and replaced.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/79761-metro-pd-encounter/page-3#entry1163359

- OS

Heh... I'm not so lazy after all and found this...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/79761-metro-pd-encounter/?p=1162965

thanky.  :hat:   And I'm glad that changed... it never made much sense to me, though that applies to lots of things.  :)

I noticed that 'the commie appeal' didn't bother to report this or the knife law in today's paper with other new laws  taking effect today.

Actually the knife law was in today's paper if you get the Nashville Tennessean, it was on page 6
[quote name="Clod Stomper" post="1164432" timestamp="1404268657"] The new guns in cars law was not mentioned as far as I could tell. Haven't heard about it anywhere.[/quote] We certainly can't have the general public informed about new gun laws otherwise they might exercise their rights.
  • Like 4

Just have to ask since I have a daughter that is 19... since you can legally purchase a handgun at 18, would she be able to have one in the car she drives? The car is titled in my name, so legally the car is mine, but she would be in legal possession of the car. If there was a handgun in the car, wonder what would happen?

[quote name="charlessummers" post="1164525" timestamp="1404314537"]Just have to ask since I have a daughter that is 19... since you can legally purchase a handgun at 18, would she be able to have one in the car she drives? The car is titled in my name, so legally the car is mine, but she would be in legal possession of the car. If there was a handgun in the car, wonder what would happen?[/quote] Just asking a question since I don't know the laws very well. If you have to be 21 to purchase a handgin from an FFL, would her being 19 cause any issues?

Just asking a question since I don't know the laws very well. If you have to be 21 to purchase a handgin from an FFL, would her being 19 cause any issues?

No. Perfectly legal to buy a handgun in private sale at 18.

Matter of fact, perfectly legal to give a handgun to a minor "for lawful sporting purposes", so seems even a 16 year old could have a loaded gun in the auto also -- comes down to perhaps splitting hairs as to when having it in there is pursuant to those purposes I guess.

- OS

Juveniles under the age of eighteen (18) are prohibited from using handguns for the purpose of hunting. Straight from the hunting guide

Yup. That's just a small part of lawful sporting purposes however.

- OS

Don't make the mistake of thinking this bill actually accomplishes anything wonderful...like the so-called "guns in trunks" bill of a couple of years ago; it's nothing more than a bone thrown to the "pro-gun" crowd to keep them (us) quiet since the Republican triumvirate doesn't have the guts to pass anything truly meaningful.

• Like 2

Actually the knife law was in today's paper if you get the Nashville Tennessean, it was on page 6

I saw the article in the Nashville paper.  My comment was that the memphis newspaper didn't want to inform its readers of the new laws.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this bill actually accomplishes anything wonderful...like the so-called "guns in trunks" bill of a couple of years ago; it's nothing more than a bone thrown to the "pro-gun" crowd to keep them (us) quiet since the Republican triumvirate doesn't have the guts to pass anything truly meaningful.

I kind of agree with you but think the law may have 'unintended consequences' for the 'pro-gun lip service but really anti' gang.  I have to wonder if it might not end up resulting in more folks - after getting used to having their loaded handgun in their car - deciding they want to carry outside their car.  This might result in two outcomes, both of which could be good (yeah, I consciously used the qualifiers 'might' and 'could' because nothing may come of it.)  I am thinking that either:

1.  Those folks might decide to get their HCP so that they can carry in more places.  More people - and more voters - with an HCP could result in more pressure being put on politicians to pass 'carry friendly' laws - the first of which I would like to see being that the stupid 'No Guns' or gunbuster signs would lose the weight of law and (like other states) it would be a simple trespassing charge if a person legally carrying is asked to leave a business and refuses.

2.  Those folks might decide that they don't want to have to get an HCP but do want to carry outside their car - which could result in more pressure being put on politicians to pass 'Constitutional carry' laws.*

So car carry, if it swells the ranks of folks who vote from a position of a person who carries outside their home (at least in some, limited fashion) might be a step in the right direction.  Maybe.

*Personally, I think that (for our own good) folks who want to carry should work on removing the 'weight of law' from signs before working on open carry without a permit or 'Constitutional carry'.  I say that because, as soon as we have a large number of people open carrying, I foresee more businesses putting up signs.  Too much chance of someone getting into trouble over a stupid sign as long as those signs have the weight of law.

• Like 1

JAB-

I completely agree with you.  You only have so much political capital in a year and I think that political capital should have been used on the stupid no guns signs, parks, and possibly schools this year instead of the open carry without a permit.  In principal, I agree with open carry without a permit or any carry without a permit, but I think the efforts should have been mainly spent on helping the people that are presently paying money for handgun carry permits.  Fix the stupid off limits places for the permits THEN fix the open carry/constitutional carry issues.  I think the handgun carry permit off limits fixes are easier to accomplish politically than the open/constutitional carry.  The folks that have been carrying rifles in Target and Starbucks have given a lot of bad publicity to the open carry movement.

I do think the car carry deal was easy to pass because it was flying under the radar.  It will benefit a lot of people, in my opinion.  At least now I can't be charged with a crime for having a shell in my shotgun chamber when transporting it in my vehicle.  People who are traveling and may not have a handgun carry permit for whatever reason benefit a lot from this.

Yeah, I gotta respectfully disagree with Robert on this one.  This law change is a pretty big deal.... IMHO the biggest positive change since HCP reform back in '94.

Full-on constitutional carry and TICS exemption for permit holders are really just about all we have left to win on the state level. 

• Like 2