Need a new deer rifle.

94user

ALL the nra cares about is $$

you think they care about made in the USA?  Their membership mags have ads for fake collectables (polished and re-numbered etc to look new) from a known scam company.  And that is one of a couple of very questionable ads allowed in there.

Hmm.. I don't follow them closely outside of NRA political interactions so I didn't know if i'd missed something. I didn't renew my membership this year and sent my money to NAGR instead. I just feel that they have been more effective and a newer more fiery voice. I had no idea of anything you've mentioned other than only caring about the money, they are in the business of soliciting funds after all. Last year another member here signed up with the NRA and part of the deal was that as part of the membership he would receive a small cheap chinese pocket knife. When he received his membership packet there was no knife and in it's place was a sheet to fill out that stated something to the effect of "we've sent you this form in case you would like for the cost of the knife to go to us as well but if you must have the knife the fill out the form and mail it back" If i'm not mistaken they even asked for S&H but that could be me remembering a joke we made about it after we read the form.

Sorry to report the old girl has sold. She can easily knock down a deer out to 200 yds and further, iron sights and all.

[URL=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/01_zps3c699257.jpg.html]01_zps3c699257.jpg[/URL]

I hope you find the gun your looking for at the price you want to pay.

If it wasn't for the NRA, we would all be shooting single barrel shotguns right now

So true. Love them or hate them, we NEED them.

I may also add a marlin xl7 to the line up of potential next deer rifles. Im in the same boat as the OP pretty much. However I dont really care what a hunting rifle (read "tool") looks like. A bolt action rifle is a bolt action rifle, they all look kinda the same to me minus synthetic or wood stocks, or blued and stainless barrels. I actually prefer a synthetic stock on a hunting rifle, cause I know its going to catch hell over the years. As long as the quality is there with decent accuracy I'm good. Im not trying to shoot a quarter from 100yds, I'm trying to hit a soccer ball sized target from (most of the time) within 50-75 yards.

I didnt even know about the Savage Hog Hunter. May take a look at those as well. So many choices in this category!

ETA: OP you asked if anybody had experience with a mossberg atr. Up until last year thats what my brother hunted with, I held it and looked it over more than once and was actually impressed with it. The action was pretty smooth, and just the overall appearance/quality of it seemed up to par. IIRC his had a fluted barrel and was chambered in .308.

Edited by reed1285

If it wasn't for the NRA, we would all be shooting single barrel shotguns right now

past accomplishments and past wrongs, call it a wash on that.  They have done great things.  They have also had their hand in getting gun control passed, burdens that we STILL live under, and accomplishments that we still enjoy.   FINE.

My complaint is the CURRENT NRA -- which is borderline dirty right now.  A *short* list of what I have seen over the past 5 years would include:

- attempts to panic the members to bilk more money out of them.   Every day its a new phone call about a new "crisis" that if we don't send in our dollar they will TAKE OUR GUNZ!!  Some of it is true, but all of it is hyped up to panic people into giving more than they can afford, and the begging calls and emails are CONSTANT.

- again, allow disreputable ads in their mags

- public assault on the first amendment (blame video games speech after sandy hook)

- support of some very questionable politicians, including some of TN's "finest"

- tactless handling of the texas rifle group

- lack of backbone -- policies like "enforce the existing laws" is quiet support for unconstitutional laws more often than not

and there are more but as I said just a short list of things that are not going well under the current leadership.  I agree, we need them.  I agree, they have done good things, even under the current administration they have done some good.  But I am very unhappy with the current leadership, period.

• Like 1
Guest ryates217
I had a Mossberg ATR in .270. It was a decent enough rifle, acceptable accuracy, but for the money there are better options out there. My Marlin 336 is a tack driver at 100 yards and since I'll never likely be shooting deer beyond that distance it is my go to rifle.

Insofar as bolt action hunting rifles, well the sky's the limit so do your own due diligence. Another option should you reconsider the AR platform is 7.62x39 which is effective at any reasonable 30/30 Winchester caliber range. I've had one for years and only recently placed it on consignment for sale. My only reasoning being its sat too long w/o being used and I've no further desire to own it.

Now some other options for your consideration are NEF single shot rifle...nicely prices, accurate and barrels/calibers can be swapped. The Ruger &1 and Thompson Contender are more expensive but higher end manufacturing. But regardless, avoid new hunting rifles and focus on used ones instead.   .  

Remington 783 $343

Basically its a Savage rifle with Remington stamped on it. Dad has one in 30-06 and we are shooting sub 0.5" groups at 100 yards.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/remington-783-308-syn-bolt-matte-36400

Can't find it right now but Dolomite_supafly made a very informative post about them. If I find it I'll link it below.

Great rifle. I bought one in .308 Win. Haven't tried it @ 100yds yet, but shot .261 @ 50 yds

with Hornady American Whitetail 150 gr. SP.

Working up some handloads for Sierra 150 gr. BSP.

Won't win any beauty contests, but...........

• Like 1

If you are thinking about a used 308 bolt action rifle, take a look for a savage or an older remington.  You can pick up a nice clean savage with the accutrigger used in that range.  Sometimes you can pick up a used remington 700.

If I was looking at new, I'd consider that Ruger American 308, Marlin XS7 308.  Those are both solid feeling rifles and have good triggers on them.

You can also pick up a new Remington 700 ADL at Bass Pro, Wal Mart, Dick's, under 400.  I think I'd go with a Savage for 400 because you can tell the fit and finish is better on the Savage 110 blued, accutrigger, and synthetic stock than the Remington 700 ADL.

Of course all these are without the scope.

I saw you got a Marlin 336.  That is all the gun you'll need in this part of the country.  Those are nice, short, and light weight. A little low powered shotgun scope or peep sights and you are set.

Edited by 300winmag