Hey y’all, what’s wrong with a drawl?

RED333

From fox news web site, federal government bureaucrats do not like the way we talk.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/01/hey-yall-whats-wrong-with-drawl/?intcmp=latestnews

And even though I’ve lived in New York City for the past decade, I still take my tea sweet, my chicken fried and my biscuits buttered. I’m proud to call myself a gun-toting, Bible-clinging Tennessee Volunteer.

Friends, the South is suffering from something call culture creep and it’s spreading across Dixie like kudzu. One day your neighborhood diner is serving unsweetened tea –and the next day your neighborhood is home to a yoga shop, a Prius dealership and a farm to table restaurant serving eggs delivered by an Amish midwife.

I really did take offense when I read this earlier in the week.  In my job, I have to converse with people from Ohio, Michigan and over seas.  Though I am sure I am the butt of jokes with my accent, but I don't care, its who I am!  As a famous person once said, "I yam what I yam..."

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/popeye_zpsa980bed3.jpg.html]popeye_zpsa980bed3.jpg[/URL]

If society is really concerned, why do we all have lessons to speak like they do in London, England, the queen's accent?  :rant:

I really did take offense when I read this earlier in the week.  In my job, I have to converse with people from Ohio, Michigan and over seas.  Though I am sure I am the butt of jokes with my accent, but I don't care, its who I am!  As a famous person once said, "I yam what I yam..."

popeye_zpsa980bed3.jpg

If society is really concerned, why do we all have lessons to speak like they do in London, England, the queen's accent?  :rant:

At the lab, there is diversity, except when there isn't.

At the lab, there is freedom of thought, except when there isn't.

At the lab, there are rules & procedures, except when there isn't.

At the lab, there is room for professional development, except when there isn't.

At the lab, there is encouragement to rise, except when there isn't.

At the lab, there is rugged individualism, except when there isn't.

At the lab, culture and roots are everything, except when it isn't.

At the lab, there is dispensation, except when there isn't.

Labbies get it. At the lab, we'uns jus staff.

Edited by R_Bert

From fox news web site, federal government bureaucrats do not like the way we talk.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/01/hey-yall-whats-wrong-with-drawl/?intcmp=latestnews

this is only a bubble popping on the cesspool. And  in this case it's not federal government bureaucrats, it's the lab contractors below the feds (beyond contractual terms of ES&H, the feds have little direct say in how the contractor operates the facility and manages the staff of the labs day-to-day)

Edited by R_Bert
That's just stupid. I've learned to suppress my accent, not because I don't like it, but because the people that hear me talk with it assume I'm an uneducated dolt capable of drooling and scratching my butt. This attitude is especially stronger with the New England folks who speak with an unbearable accent, twisting pronunciations and skipping their "r"s.

No offense to New Englanders. I hate to say it, but most people who have held the opinion that southerners, especially with a thick accent, are generally stupid, aren't the sharpest tool in the shed themselves. Often times, they are intolerably dim.

This company is probably trying to avoid customers and the public from thinking of their employees in this way. That's what I would assume.

Just my opinion, of course....
Edited by Ted S.

the tea thing is a mystery to me, and I grew up here.  I just do not understand how coffee comes black and you adjust to your personal tastes but tea come in 3 flavors ... water,  sugar water,  and once in a blue moon if you find a half decent place, tea flavored.   The places that sweeten it for you add 1 cup of sugar per pint, but still only use 1 teabag per 10 gallons.  Yuck!

Personally, I would like to get mine unsweet (because yall can't do it right),  dark as coffee strong (3-4 bags per gallon already), and cold as ice without any ice in it (adding yet more water to the watered down crap).  If you insist on ice, freeze tea in an ice tray and put that in it.

That is all.  I guess we all want something we can't have.

the tea thing is a mystery to me, and I grew up here.  I just do not understand how coffee comes black and you adjust to your personal tastes but tea come in 3 flavors ... water,  sugar water,  and once in a blue moon if you find a half decent place, tea flavored.   The places that sweeten it for you add 1 cup of sugar per pint, but still only use 1 teabag per 10 gallons.  Yuck!

Personally, I would like to get mine unsweet (because yall can't do it right),  dark as coffee strong (3-4 bags per gallon already), and cold as ice without any ice in it (adding yet more water to the watered down crap).  If you insist on ice, freeze tea in an ice tray and put that in it.

That is all.  I guess we all want something we can't have.

Blasphemy!!!!! 

But seriously, sweet tea isn't the same very many places. I don't like it so sugary that it's floating in the tea, but no-go on unsweet for me. Like you said, we all want something we can't have--perfect tea.

You see there is history behind southern sweet tea. Before sodas, the sweet drink of choice was tea(in the south), and the more wealthy you were the sweeter you made your tea in order to show your wealth to your guests. Now the real head scratcher is when people put lemon in their extra sweet tea.

That is a HUGE no no (for me)! I will flat out return the sweet tea over that because I always ask and repeat "No lemon". I love lemonade, and love sweet tea, just separately. Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2

I don't trust New Englanders, anyone that treats the letter "r" as silent when talking is suspect in my book.

And in NYC they put the letter "r" at the end of almost everything:

Coca-cola = Coca-colar

Jamaica = Jamaicar

Law = Lawr (pronounced "loor")

And since I used to live in MN, I'll pick on them too; "How about a can of pop, eh?"

You see there is history behind southern sweet tea. Before sodas, the sweet drink of choice was tea(in the south), and the more wealthy you were the sweeter you made your tea in order to show your wealth to your guests. Now the real head scratcher is when people put lemon in their extra sweet tea.

And I always thought iced tea was so popular in the south because it can get soo freaking hot here.

The southern old timers would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it, take you in and feed you, help you get your tractor out of the mud, just plain good ol southern hospitality. Now if you didn't like or complained how they do something or how they dress, or how they talked the old timers used to have a saying they would tell the rude yankees. "GO F#*K YOURSELF". That's what I pretty much tell them today. :)
"Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know the feller that... who wrote the writin' was writin' the writin' right? See it could be that he wrote the writin' all wrong. Here I'd be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see? You probably been doing it your whole life, just a readin' wrong writin' And not even knowin' it."

~Festus Haggen~

I have been noticing more and more that the many southern traditions are going away as more and more Yankees move south to retire. Way I figure it, we didn't invite them to retire in the south. That was their idea so when in Rome you do as the Romans or you get the hell out but don't expect the Romans to change their way of life to suit you. Thing is for some damn reason the Romans are changing and catering to these carpetbaggers from the north and for what reason I have no clue. I guess if you get far enough out of town you can still see some of the old traditions like when two vehicles pass each other they both wave howdy to each other and folks still help their neighbors when or if a problem arises that they need help. You don't see those things in the city any more and as the older generations pass away it becomes less and less a common practice.....................jmho

"A southern man don't need them around anyhow"

quoted from the same guy that sang "handguns are made for killing, no good for nothing else" .... 

rather than speak ill of the dead, I will let the implications speak it for me.

Tea so sweet it makes your enamel on your teeth float away. It seems that's the norm around here Not  my cup of tea,so to speak.. :)

I have a little accent...Some can tell I am German..some think I am from up north. I think southern accents are neat

Thankya mayyum.  Thankya burry,burry much!

Tea so sweet it makes your enamel on your teeth float away. It seems that's the norm around here Not  my cup of tea,so to speak.. :)

I have a little accent...Some can tell I am German..some think I am from up north. I think southern accents are neat

There was some movie or tv show, don't remember but some girl from up north was visiting her sister down south and took a big gulp of her sweetened tea. She almost gagged and said, "this is liquid diabetes".

Southern accents are a mix of many different accents from around the world, i've noticed that the English use the word "recon", i've even heard James Bond say it. When I say the word "school", I pronounce it "schooweel" or something like that. Southerners know what i'm saying but i've noticed in some movies that Irish people will pronounce it that way. Pool,(pooeewl) etc.