Who here loads their carry ammo?

I do both. My SR40C is loaded with Hornady Critical Duty and Speer Gold dots. It is my primary edc, I just haven't bought quality hollow points to reload.

My 9mm I have reloads, using Speer gold dots.

My 1911 is also reloads, Hornady XTPs.

Before I loaded thoae pistols I reviewed several manuals and read online postings, found a mid level charge rated for same velocity as what is on the box and then shot several magazines though to test function. I think the 9mm reloads were actually from a manual that had it listed as a close duplicate for LE rounds.

I do a mix.

I carry factory loads in my 9mm Glocks...but have some premium components stored back for their replacement.

When I purchased my 9mm carry ammo several years back it was markedly less expensive than it is now days.

I carry plated full wadcutters with a sharp ogive in my J frame .38's. They are peppy, but easily controllable and quite accurate.

Man, I'll bet a 25acp is an aggravating little bugger to load! 9mm is borderline too small for me.

It is what it is, I cut a 22 shell down, fixed a wire to it to make a dipper for the powder, make things go a bit faster.

I carry all factory to date but that is because I carry a 380 or 2 while I'm out. I have shot factory reloads at the range and on had 1 FTF in about 800 rounds at the range so I would feel comfortable using them. Now that for the time being I own a 40 Caliber and all I have is new ammo I guess after some range time and practice with the 40, if I decide to keep it and carry it I will probably still use new ammo since I don't reload.......... :rock:  :rock: 

I've thought about it, and I have in the past, but I have decided that until I run out of good factory defense ammo and can no longer purchase more, I'll save the reloads for the range, or deep backup ammo like spare mags in the glove box/bag/etc.
There was a big thread on this here several years ago. I load Hornaday HP because that was all I could find for a while. I trust my work, but in the other thread some brought up how a lawyer could question your motives about loading a bullet to be more deadly than a factory HP.

There was a big thread on this here several years ago. I load Hornaday HP because that was all I could find for a while. I trust my work, but in the other thread some brought up how a lawyer could question your motives about loading a bullet to be more deadly than a factory HP.

This has been bantered about gun magazines and the internet for some time now.

It's an informed choice on my part as far as carrying my handloads. A justifiable use of force is a justifiable use of force...you'll probably have to hassle a lawsuit no matter what.

I am unaware of anyone actually being convicted of a wrongful death, murder, or manslaughter based on ammunition choice or for using handloads in self defense.

Of course I wouldn't consider carrying a factory round emblazoned with a skull and crossbones on the  box and labeled as DRT (Dead Right There) either. :cool:

I am unaware of anyone actually being convicted of a wrongful death, murder, or manslaughter based on ammunition choice or for using handloads in self defense.

Every time I've seen this come up on gun forums, and it happens with regularity, I've asked for anyone to link to a case in which handloaded ammunition has been a determining factor in a self defense case. Perhaps there's one out there, but so far I've not seen it.

I deer hunt with handloads. They do nothing magical that a factory load will not do.

I wonder if there were trial lawyers back in the cap and ball days.......EVERYONE handloaded!

• Like 2

Every time I've seen this come up on gun forums, and it happens with regularity, I've asked for anyone to link to a case in which handloaded ammunition has been a determining factor in a self defense case. Perhaps there's one out there, but so far I've not seen it.

I deer hunt with handloads. They do nothing magical that a factory load will not do.

I wonder if there were trial lawyers back in the cap and ball days.......EVERYONE handloaded!

Perhaps, but remember back then that "because the sumbich deserved it" was an viable defense ...

• Like 1

This has been bantered about gun magazines and the internet for some time now.

It's an informed choice on my part as far as carrying my handloads. A justifiable use of force is a justifiable use of force...you'll probably have to hassle a lawsuit no matter what.

Of course I wouldn't consider carrying a factory round emblazoned with a skull and crossbones on the  box and labeled as DRT (Dead Right There) either. :cool:

But it could be a problem in a Civil Case. Additionally, the predictable gun shot residue from factory ammo is documented and predictable. Possibly a factor that may save your butt and support your defense. Just because it has never happened, doesn't mean it can't. Edited by chances R

I carry factory. I reload lighter than my factory rounds, for target use. If the occasion should arise, I wouldn't hesitate

to use the reloads for defense. They will still ruin someones day.

You're going to have a rough day in court either way.