Check your PSA bolt carriers

This is not mine and I do not know the whole story but this looks pretty bad. He claims it did not come that way and that this is the result of 150 rounds and was not like that when he got it, which I SERIOUSLY doubt.

I suspect he bought the blemished bolt, along with an upper, and never noticed the problem because they probably came assembled.  

less then 150 rounds on this BCG from PSA it was a m-16 blemish. This is not what it looked like when I installed it...... This could have hurt me my gf(its her gun ) or someone we let shoot it.

From here:

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-general-discussion/173542-why-i-am-ak-guy.html

9006d1407902205-why-i-am-ak-guy-img_04579007d1407902206-why-i-am-ak-guy-img_04589008d1407902207-why-i-am-ak-guy-img_0459

Can't see the pictures in your post or the link. 

I'm very interested in this since I bought a blemished upper from PSA that came with a BCG.  It looked fine and is shooting fine, but I like to learn from other peoples misery if they have to endure it.

I got one from them that was part of a full non-blemish upper that was rough as a cobb about 3 months ago.  It isn't that the finish was missing in places (it was)...it is that in most places the finish was VERY rough in texture.  It looked the bolt carrier was made of cast iron...like a cast iron skillet.  I emailed them about it and they gave me an RMA and exchanged it for free. Took about ten days from the time I emailed them til the new replacement BCG came back.  

Only bad looking piece I have ever gotten from them, but they swapped it out pronto.  

Would like to see the pics of this one to see if it is the same appearance.  But mine looked like that out of the box.

Was this one of PSA's "PTAC" BCG?

Mine was not.  I have only ever bought CMV, Premium, and CHF components or uppers from them.  The upper I bought that had the bad BCG was a CMV M4 Upper (non-blem).  But I have bought those before and not seen an BCG like this.  

I believe that for uppers the following is true:

CMV = mil-spec, chrome-lined barrel (non FN) /Carp 158 MPI BCG

Premium = mil-spec, chrome-lined, FN barrel / Carp 158 MPI-HPT BCG

CHF = mil-spec, chrome-lined, Cold Hammer Forged FN barrel / Carp 158 MPI-HPT BCG

I think just the PTAC stuff would have a PTAC BCG.  I am not sure about the "Freedom" series.

Here are the Blurry pictures of the BCG that were posted on AKForum.net 

2ufd3co.jpg

25ext7p.jpg

2j2g6lg.jpg

He provides no other details!

HOWEVER........  Appears from the photos that he doesn't live with his GF (note the toilet seat).

• Like 3

Ok...yeah, mine looked nothing like that.  It was shaped normally...just made of cast iron.

Did he say he bought it straight from PSA?  Or was it just assembled from PSA parts by someone else who may have put the junk he found in his drawer in it?

Wow, how would you not notice that before shooting it?

I got a BCG from PSA a handful of years back that had the logo on a little crooked. Otherwise it was, and is, still a perfectly functioning part. I kinda like the crooked look to it.

Granted it came with a hammer forged FN barrelled upper, or whatever it was they used to push. I didn't feel like waiting the month to get it exchanged. It has ~1000 rounds through it with no problems.

• Like 1

Agreed.  On the other side of your question, how would they not notice that before shipping it out?  Quality check much?

Depends,  I'd say.

If it were just a BCG sort separately, I doubt if they look  at any of them individually. Same with other manufacturer brands they sell and also the PTAC, they just pass them along, no assembly required.

Now, if it were part of of a build PSA does that included BCG, of course they should notice it. They also test fire those.

- OS

Yea, I would say that should of been noticed by someone well before it went into the weapon.  QC at the Mfg should caught it, the builder should of noticed it, its not a part failure its a Mfg failure and very obvious.