I65 tanker explosion - Peytonsville area traffic mess

If you somehow missed the traffic jam or news reports, tanker hit the bridge pillar and exploded this morning, shutting down 65 both directions.

Latest update confirms the fear, both bridges (old and one under construction) are damaged and have to be torn down. One report said only the portion over I65 South will be torn down.

I65 North is supposedly reopened now. Southbound will be closed all weekend it sounds like. Estimated 3 months to get the bridge rebuilt and opened.

Traffic was a mess, going to be even worse now for a few months it seems like.

On my phone so sorry no links now. Edited by jonathon1289

That was CRAZY! My wife said this morning "What's up with all the tanker accidents within a few days?". Probably just sad coincidence. Just heard about an hour ago that the coroner was finally there and the driver was still in the wreck so they were moving the news crews away. I'm glad they thought to do that for the family's sake.

News originally said the driver made it out. That witnesses said they saw someone walk away.
I was a bit doubtful based on the pics I had seen, and a while ago they did verify the fatality was the driver.

I thought I'd heard them say someone walked away too on the earlier reporting.

They did report that a witness THOUGHT that they saw someone walk away from the wreck. After seeing the cab I called BS. It looked like they could relatively easily replace half of the bridge. Fortunately for the family they could not tell (signage) who owned the truck because of the damage. They would have to look up the VIN.

Spring Hill traffic was terrible. There isn't any good day really around here, but it was bad. Wife hit 65N to 840E with no issues though. Just when there was a little hope in getting the traffic almost fixed leaving Spring Hill and Columbia heading north, seems like it's going to get worse for a few months now that the bridge needs an overhaul/replacement.

Spring Hill traffic was terrible. There isn't any good day really around here, but it was bad. Wife hit 65N to 840E with no issues though. Just when there was a little hope in getting the traffic almost fixed leaving Spring Hill and Columbia heading north, seems like it's going to get worse for a few months now that the bridge needs an overhaul/replacement.

Yep. Already looking for a new clutch. This is gonna hurt.

TDOT tweets confirm what the OP said. Southbound will be closed all weekend with crews working around the clock to remove old and new span over the southbound lanes. Est. 3 months to rebuild.

The condition of the span over the northbound lanes is unknown at this point. TDOT engineers are still examining it, but northbound lanes are currently open.

Edited by monkeylizard

I am surprised I wasn't awoken by the boom this morning.  I live less than a mile from the overpass and didn't hear a peep.  I vaguely remember hearing a siren nearby but didn't give it much thought.  I work out of my house so I didn't even know it had happened until a buddy called who was stuck in traffic.  I guess I need to start turning my TV on in the morning.

Luckily for me I don't have to fight the traffic every day.  I really do feel sorry for those coming from the south as it is really going to be bad.  

My sympathies to Commuters affected. And the Family and Friends of the Truck Driver. I wonder if they'll be able to determine Medical Issues.

Personally, 65 south was my 3rd quickest option in the afternoons but I hadn't tried it since the widening project started. I'm dealing with both my #1 and #2 quickest ways home closed or under construction. I will NEVER understand why TDOT or Williamson Co. Highway Dept. works on 2 routes that are alternates at the same time. They did it out on the west side of the county 2 years ago and now they've done it in Brentwood. Very intelligent!

I was in Franklin on Friday about 230, what a mess, traffic backed up to Mack Hatcher on Franklin Rd.

Hillsboro Rd out to the high school, around the square was a mess.

All of Mack Hatcher south of 96 looked bumper to bumper to Columbia Hwy and to Cool Springs.

My advice, if you are headed south out of Nashville, 24 to 840 then south on 65.

My sympathies to Commuters affected. And the Family and Friends of the Truck Driver. I wonder if they'll be able to determine Medical Issues.

Personally, 65 south was my 3rd quickest option in the afternoons but I hadn't tried it since the widening project started. I'm dealing with both my #1 and #2 quickest ways home closed or under construction. I will NEVER understand why TDOT or Williamson Co. Highway Dept. works on 2 routes that are alternates at the same time. They did it out on the west side of the county 2 years ago and now they've done it in Brentwood. Very intelligent!

You expect intelligence from the government?

I live just off one of the alternate routes. It was bad enough with people trying to get around the construction on I-65 South. Now it will be an utter nightmare for the next three months.

I can't tell you just how much that blows.

Edited by daddyo

You expect intelligence from the government?

I live just off one of the alternate routes. It was bad enough with people trying to get around the construction on I-65 South. Now it will be an utter nightmare for the next three months.

I can't tell you just how much that blows.

No. Just spilling info.