Another AR question

Dane

I'm about as novice as they come to the AR platform.  I've handled a few at the LGS but I've never fired one.  I've tried to learn what I can about how everything works but not having one in hand makes that a little more difficult.  So i'm considering 3 options at the moment.  Can anyone tell me the difference between:

Colt LE6920 at $979

Sig M400 at $899 

Core 15 at $649

Basically I'd like to know what makes one 650 and the other near 1000. 

I would look elsewhere for a better price. If you dont care about brands, Palmetto State Armory (PSA) has some great deals such as this upper: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/12802/%5B/

And lowers are often listed for $150 with BCGs for $100 and handles under$20. The only bad thing about PSA is that they are very slow to ship, but the price is worth it and the blems they sell are usually very good and hard to see the blem. I for one could care less about brands, some of these so called top tier rifles shoot no better than ones from lesser priced companies. Save the money, you'll need it for ammo. Edited by Omega
In the marketing class they forced me to take at MTSU they said some brands charge more just to position themselves in the market as a prestige brand. Despite operating costs and other expenses being only slightly higher, the higher price that some brand names charge gives buyers a sense that the product is of higher quality whether it really is or not. This is seen as a status symbol among owners and the market seems to accept it. I have no clue if that's the case here. I'm sure Colt and Sig have higher operating costs than less expensive brands and that they really do spend a ton on advertising. However, mil-spec is a MINIMUM standard, not the pinnacle of quality. If a $700 gun is mil-spec and a $900 gun has more polished parts due to higher standards, all that extra labor and machine adds value to the product. The question is what value the buyer places on that added machining. Personally, I place little to no value on it because I'm a lousy shot and my AR isn't my life or death weapon anyway.
Folks that conduct intense rifle training classes will acknowledge reliability differences between various "quality tiers" of AR style weapons. Of the ones on your list most of those trainers would likely point you towards the Colt. It will also hold its' resale value better than many AR brands. You might wish to google Top Tier threads on both M4carbine.com and AR15.com.

The majority of AR owners rarely put their AR through routine heavy fire exercises so they may never notice quality differences.

A fellow on M4carbine made these suggestions for folks that might wish to "upgrade" their AR for heavy fire reliability purposes:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7376-quot-Oh-No!-I-bought-a-BM-RRA-Stag-before-I-knew-better!-quot

Here are items he mentions in the above link ...

Whether you have had the carbine for years with thousands of "trouble free" rounds through it (real-world rounds, not internet rounds) or you just bought the rifle, have hardly fired it, but are already starting to feel that buyer's remorse, don't fret. There are some very basic things you can do to improve your carbine and ensure better reliability.

1) Check the carrier key for proper staking. How do you know if it's properly staked? Go here and educate yourself. If yours doesn't look right, follow the instructions to correct it or send it out to have someone else correct it.

2) Check the extractor spring and insert to insure that the insert is black. Go here to learn about extractor inserts, springs, and O-rings. This is something anyone can install themselves.

3) Check the receiver extension end-plate for proper staking. How do you know if it's properly staked? Go here and educate yourself. If yours doesn't look right, follow the instructions to correct it or send it out to have someone else correct it.

4) Buy an "H" buffer if your carbine doesn't have it. Go here to learn why. Go here to see the different kinds of buffers. This is something anyone can install themselves.

5) Buy a properly tested, staked, constructed bolt carrier group (BCG) with the proper extractor insert. The bolt itself should be Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI), Shot Peened, and Proof Fired. You can buy a top quality BCG from Bravo Company, G&R Tactical or LMT for around $130. You can either change out to this BCG right away, or use the one that came with your rifle until it breaks and then switch it out. The choice is yours. Edited by Djay3
[quote name="tangojuliet" post="1180314" timestamp="1408220559"]ide build one myself..... you'll learn a lot more that way [/quote] I looked at that. Using the absolute cheapest parts on PSA it still came out at about $700. Since I know absolutely nothing about the ar platform I figured buying a built one and taking it apart a few times would be a better learning experience. At least I would know that I had a functioning gun before I monkey with it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

I have been very satisfied with my Sig M400.  I'd have been just as happy with the Colt and looked at both.  Before shopping I looked at specs online for quite a while and those were the two brands readily available that I felt best about.  The Sig is accurate and brings a smile to this old man's face.   

• Like 1

I looked at that. Using the absolute cheapest parts on PSA it still came out at about $700. Since I know absolutely nothing about the ar platform I figured buying a built one and taking it apart a few times would be a better learning experience. At least I would know that I had a functioning gun before I monkey with it.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would look again, with an upper for less then $300, a $120 BCG and handle and a $150 lower its way below $700. And since your buying the upper and lower already built its a rifle with little DIY involved. Again, assuming you don't care about brands. Edited by Omega

[URL=http://s824.photobucket.com/user/misohorniii/media/DSC03697.jpg.html]DSC03697.jpg[/URL]

I've had Palmettos and then I have a Colt. To me, the weight and feel of a colt surpasses the $600 PSA's all day. Plus the name is synonymous with quality in the firearms industry and that says alot to me not only as a gun owner but a gun owner with a limited amount of funds. I want the best I can get for the money. You can customize 1 just as well as the other. Go with what your wallet (in my case, my wife) allows you to.

If you are interested in the Sig M400, I traded for one today and just placed it up for sale in the classifieds. 

I have never had the fortune to own or even shoot a Colt, but the Sig is a nice rifle.

The couple I own are Palmetto State lowers and different uppers.

Sorry man, I hate to disagree but thats all in your head. But that is not a bad thing, we all have something that is the "best" because we own one. I carried Colts for the majority of my career and they are a fine rifle, but with its smaller pins on some models it makes buying after market triggers a tricky thing for some. I don't own a Colt or a complete PSA upper, but I know they are both gtg. I have a Spikes, a DPMS in 300Blk and a S&W 5.56 rifle, I do have a psa stripped upper I plan on making an 8.5" 300blk out of and I can tell you they all shoot just fine. And if I am not mistaken PSA offers FN cold hammer forged barrels that are used on the M4s and SAWs in the Mil.
[quote name="Troutburger" post="1180374" timestamp="1408234819"]The asset to buying a colt vs a PSA is resale value.[/quote] That's not necessarily true. You'll get what you have in either rifle -10% usually. Even in today's, buyers' market. I'm not by any means a fanboy just stating my opinion and I tend to lean torwards the colt over the two others mentioned, PSA included. Now you want to start talking Daniel defense or LWRC then I quickly jump off the colt bandwagon. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TheDude_Abides
  • Like 1

Sorry man, I hate to disagree but thats all in your head. But that is not a bad thing, we all have something that is the "best" because we own one. I carried Colts for the majority of my career and they are a fine rifle, but with its smaller pins on some models it makes buying after market triggers a tricky thing for some. I don't own a Colt or a complete PSA upper, but I know they are both gtg. I have a Spikes, a DPMS in 300Blk and a S&W 5.56 rifle, I do have a psa stripped upper I plan on making an 8.5" 300blk out of and I can tell you they all shoot just fine. And if I am not mistaken PSA offers FN cold hammer forged barrels that are used on the M4s and SAWs in the Mil.

Colt had larger pins on their "civilian" rifles for awhile. AFIK, they have never had pins smaller than milspec. Quality of some of the parts can vary. I built all my rifles. Never have owned a Colt. But, when it comes down to it, I doubt that you will get crappy parts in a colt.

I have found that the build cost of my guns has inched up over time. Lately, it's way over $1000

It isn't that its parts are any better or worse, I would say they are comparable.  That's why it is a good value.  That's the issue with AR's.  Almost all of them are made with Milspec parts nowdays.  That is actually a bit of a misnomer though because Milspec is essentially a minimum spec level each part must meet.  There are many parts out there that are better than milspec.  That is when you really start to see things costing more money outside of if it has a certain name.  

I have expensive AR's and I have a Smith M&P15 AR.  For sheer value, the Smith is great.  Will it shoot as small of groups as a couple of my other AR's, No.  But that is because I have target barrels on them.  Will the Smith shoot well enough to defend you and your family, or just to plink and have fun, you bet.  

Edited by Hozzie
Guest tangojuliet

of course it all depend on what you want to do also  thats the reason im building a spr cause i want to press on out there but if your after a rifle for under 300 yards after ai mean your looking at like recce rifle  or a 14.5 in barreled ar with a 1.5 comp i mean i really don't know what you're after so im kinda spitballing here LOL

of course it all depend on what you want to do also  thats the reason im building a spr cause i want to press on out there but if your after a rifle for under 300 yards after ai mean your looking at like recce rifle  or a 14.5 in barreled ar with a 1.5 comp i mean i really don't know what you're after so im kinda spitballing here LOL

I won't be going out past 200 yards let alone 300.  Beyond that I have no idea what you said.