Well apparently LEO's don't really care about people going 2 to 3 mph over the speed limit and since i've become an old fart i'm the one cussing people who don't completly stop at stop signs and drive way over the white line so I doubt i'll get a chance to try that out. THE WHITE LINE IS FOR THE FRONT BUMPER, NOT 3 FEET PAST YOUR REAR BUMPER DAMNIT.  :mad:

I get nasty looks from other drivers when I come to a complete stop. Gets kinda old. But I don't get ticketed for a rolling stop.
  • Like 1

They don't find out about all the armed people who don't have permits, though, so that's rather moot at this point I think.

- OS

Exactly.  That's why I'm more at ease when I see HCP status (not saying that they showed it to me...open wallet, computer, etc.).

Safety-wise, I really don't care if they show it to me or not.  A smart cop assumes everyone has a gun.  That's what makes me laugh everytime I hear stories of cops, on traffic stops, saying "You should have told me."

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1

As an officer I actually feel relieved when someone informs me of a HCP and them handing it over. I just assume there is a firearm in every vehicle and those that have a HCP are a lot less of a worry to me. I can not think of a single traffic stop where I have given a citation to someone who has voluntarily handed over a HCP.

But then again, there's always this.  :)

I had someone stop 4 ft back from the white line a couple of days ago. That caused some confusion for a couple of seconds.

I see this quite often and I always think: WTH is with that? The ones who irritate me when they do it is in the turning lane ( before or after the sensor) they make me wait an extra turn for the signal before they figure it out.

First, I totally agree that under Tennessee law you are not required to inform a LEO that you have an HCP or that you are armed.  That said, I'm sure the handgun class video, which is produced and distributed by the Department of Safety (Tennessee Highway Patrol) reflects their preferences concerning how a traffic stop is handled.  A couple of times a month we hear about some traffic stop that has gone horribly wrong.  A simple stop for a warning that a tail light is burned out becomes a crime scene, often with the LEO as the victim.  I don't blame police for being suspicious as they approach a strange car and driver, and if they suddenly see a handgun in the car they didn't know about, who can blame them for reacting defensively.  If, as depicted in the video, you start the conversation by telling (and showing) them you have an HCP, they will (usually) assume you are not an escaping killer (who certainly wouldn't divulge having a gun) and things can get right friendly after that; sometimes resulting in your being let go with a warning.

Great idea, let us know how it works out for you when you do this :)

I'm kind of curious about how this would come out also. It would seem that a person hollering out the window of a car several times that "I HAVE A GUN" would seem more like a threat to an officer than trying to make him feel safer. My decision is when the officer arrives at my window I offer him/her my DL HCP and Proof of insurance. In every case I have done this the officer told me why I was stopped and just tells me to be more careful and returns my papers and we go our own ways...........jmho

Geez, how often are you folks getting pulled over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got pulled over twice last year for seat belt law but didn't get a ticket either time............... :up:

I'm kind of curious about how this would come out also. It would seem that a person hollering out the window of a car several times that "I HAVE A GUN" would seem more like a threat to an officer than trying to make him feel safer. My decision is when the officer arrives at my window I offer him/her my DL HCP and Proof of insurance. In every case I have done this the officer told me why I was stopped and just tells me to be more careful and returns my papers and we go our own ways...........jmho

It would probably be a bad idea to hold your gun out the window to show him also.  :devil:

Naa, i'll probably just have my HCP ready with my DL to show him/her. My ultimate plan is to avoid getting pulled over in the first place.

• Like 1

I have been pulled over several times for various reasons and as a rule I always tell the Leo that i'm legally(all before the new law). They seem to appreciate the fact that I told them up front and I've only had one instance where the Leo actually asked to take possession of my weapon. Since in Tennessee, your HCP # is the same as your driver's license, most of the time if your driving a vehicle registered to you, they already know you have a HCP before ever leaving their car.

I have been pulled over several times for various reasons and as a rule I always tell the Leo that i'm legally(all before the new law). They seem to appreciate the fact that I told them up front and I've only had one instance where the Leo actually asked to take possession of my weapon. Since in Tennessee, your HCP # is the same as your driver's license, most of the time if your driving a vehicle registered to you, they already know you have a HCP before ever leaving their car.

I don't think if they run your plate the DL's numbers are provided on the owner(s). It shows who it is registered to. They run your license number separate from the plate to get a driving history.
Keep your bulbs lit and stay off the gas, problem mainly solved :)
  • Like 1

As an officer I actually feel relieved when someone informs me of a HCP and them handing it over. I just assume there is a firearm in every vehicle and those that have a HCP are a lot less of a worry to me. I can not think of a single traffic stop where I have given a citation to someone who has voluntarily handed over a HCP.

I do out of respect. I tend to get stopped a lot and I never get a ticker when I inform whether I'm armed or not. It's a good conversation starter besides the reason I was stopped! Plus I think most LEOs realize HCP holders are their last concern
  • Like 2

I've been pulled over [way too many times]. When the LEO approached my truck all my windows were down, so he could see in. When he got to my window I gave him my license and HCP at the same time. I have LEOs that are casual friends. They tell me that a traffic stop is the most dangerous thing they have to do. They don't know what they are going to get into.

Every time [and still too many] they would tell me that they already knew I had a HCP but thanks for letting him know. Please keep my hands on top the steering wheel and he'd be back with me in a couple of minutes.  

• 2 months later...

I got pulled over yesterday in Oak grove KY, had a headlight out so he pulled me over to let me know.  Didn't ask for anything, first thing he said is "First let me say you did nothing wrong" and commenced to let me know about the light and that I may consider changing my plate frame because he could not tell what kind of plate it was.  He even suggested that if I tap on the light it may come back on (it did).  He probably ran my plate just in case but had no reason to do anymore than that and it probably showed him that I had a CCW.

• Like 1

Plate checks do NOT contain information about whether the owner has a permit or not...  While some departments automatically pull information on the owner of a vehicle's drivers license, which would show that you had a permit, many others don't.

I got pulled over yesterday in Oak grove KY, had a headlight out so he pulled me over to let me know.  Didn't ask for anything, first thing he said is "First let me say you did nothing wrong" and commenced to let me know about the light and that I may consider changing my plate frame because he could not tell what kind of plate it was.  He even suggested that if I tap on the light it may come back on (it did).  He probably ran my plate just in case but had no reason to do anymore than that and it probably showed him that I had a CCW.

Just what I was thinking. I believe I was still a kid the last time I got pulled over.

I probably wouldn't bother announcing I have a gun or carry permit.

I have met an officer or two who were adamant about making sure I knew THEY had a gun.

*edit* I have been through a few roadblocks in the last several years. I'm not sure if that is counted as a traffic stop or not. Nothing ever mentioned about an HCP.

Edited by gregintenn

Has always seemed as certain % of TGOers just figure in a couple hundred or so a year in fines as normal part of driving. Really.

- OS

That's how I felt when I was younger. I used to call it a "speed tax". I got older pretty quick. Last time I got a ticket was over a decade ago, and that was less about speeding and more about me not paying attention to the speed limit in an unfamiliar area, and I was droned out from a long drive.

I see no benefit to speeding. The amount of time saved by speeding is marginal, and doesn't make sense when doing a cost/benefit analysis. It baffles me when I meet folks who are my age and complain about being pulled over all the time.

• Like 2

Has always seemed as certain % of TGOers just figure in a couple hundred or so a year in fines as normal part of driving. Really.

- OS

Sure, why not? If you're not driving inappropriately for the conditions, it's just another expense. I disagree on TMF with the cost benefit analysis for what it's worth [some of the interstate fines are a bit OTT though]. But don't forget the points too. I haven't got one in a good long while though.

Definitely glad it's not the UK though. Speed cameras everywhere and, almost as bad, about a dozen speed camera signs for every speed camera. Very "Big Brother"

Edited by tnguy
  • 2 months later...

The lady who taught my HCP class told us that... You are not required by law to inform the officer you have a HCP, or that you are carrying. BUT... she, and the deputy for the local Sherriff's department who was in the class (his wife was taking the class), said that she advises, and the deputy agreed....

If you are pulled over, put your hands on the steering wheel, and advise the officer that you are "LEGALLY ARMED". Don't just stick your head out the window and yell "I HAVE A GUN". Then wait on the officer to reply, and follow what ever instructions he gives you.

The Sherriff's Deputy agreed, and said that was the best way to hanle it, and most time during stops like this, if there was not a major infraction, he THANKED the people and told them to have a good evening.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you can now carry a loaded firearm in your car even it you don't have a HCP. Just don't get out of the car with it.

Edited by jbrownch