DoD 1033 Purchases

MacGyver

• Admin Team

So the New York Times published a complete listing of purchases of military equipment by police departments and other state agencies by locality:

https://github.com/TheUpshot/Military-Surplus-Gear

It's an interesting read regardless of where you place yourself in the current debate.  I'll say this...they get a heck of a deal on M14s and 1911s.

From what I'm reading, these transfers can be done at no cost other than shipping so DoD doesn't take a budget hit for the program.  It was another gem from the War on Drugs we have had great success with.

The spreadsheet should have the "original acquisition value" listed, which would explain the cheap prices (to our eyes) since those weapons would have been bought back when those amounts were a normal cost for buying in bulk via government contract.

I think I'm gonna set up my own police department.

At one point I was talking with POST certified friends about starting a business to contract certified LE out to various jurisdictions. Basically a jurisdiction which is in need of additional certified officers, and does not have time to go through the hiring process, would hire the contracted officers on a short term basis. When the need is no longer there the contract officers leave without the usual fuss involved with letting officers go. All contract officers would be up to date on all certifications and would be hired, then bonded, but the jurisdiction.

It never really got beyond a discussion so we never really looked into the viability. The thought of this came out of the fact jurisdictions have officers from other jurisdictions help them out form time to time. Or they have the constables or THP come in to help out. Using contracted LE would keep officers in their home jurisdictions.

• Like 2

Knox County for the win!  :lol:

238 M-16's

58 M-14's

49 1911's

I'm laughing my ass off here at my county. A $658K mine resistant vehicle for a county with no major cities. The biggest town is 40K people.

Killing me.

FL LAKE                      2355-01-553-4634 MINE RESISTANT VEHICLE 1 Each $658,000.00 9/13/2013 0:00 FL LAKE                      2355-DS-COM-BTV2 ONLY COMPLETE COMBAT/ASSAULT/TACTICAL WHEELED VEHICLES 1 Each $138,000.00 6/14/2010 0:00

Just remember if it wasn't for the cost of government regulations...  people would be able to buy M16's for $500 today.

Not really, they would be the same cost as a regular semi auto AR plus about $25 in extra parts. Colts, today, would still run $1,000+ if they could be purchased new as a full auto by civilians. Still, I would gladly give $1,000 for a full auto, of any kind, right now.

At one point I was talking with POST certified friends about starting a business to contract certified LE out to various jurisdictions. Basically a jurisdiction which is in need of additional certified officers, and does not have time to go through the hiring process, would hire the contracted officers on a short term basis. When the need is no longer there the contract officers leave without the usual fuss involved with letting officers go. All contract officers would be up to date on all certifications and would be hired, then bonded, but the jurisdiction.

It never really got beyond a discussion so we never really looked into the viability. The thought of this came out of the fact jurisdictions have officers from other jurisdictions help them out form time to time. Or they have the constables or THP come in to help out. Using contracted LE would keep officers in their home jurisdictions.

Dolo -

There's probably a great need for 'PRN' officers, dispatchers, etc....heck, even certified water and wastewater treatment operators, etc. Most cities in TN are fairly small, and when FMLA and other leave situations hit, having a pool of local, certified personnel from nearby cities that are trained, already in the payroll system, and ready to be called in as 'temporary' hires (usually doesn't need city council vote, but only approval from city manager/mayor) could keep overtime budgets to a minimum.....save the taxpayers some $$, even.

I doubt it would be feasible to set it up like a traditional 'staffing' company where you would 'employ' them and 'lease' them to the city (too much risk to insure, there), but you could set it up where you develop the pool of interagency contacts and bill for a 'professional services' fee for managing the emergent processes.

Just thoughts. 

They'd be even cheaper... think about how much of that $1000 is compliance cost with various government regulations.

Every time that gun changes hands, figure there is at least a $25+ cost in just documentation required for the government.

In theory Colt should be able to sell to the public cheaper than it can sell to the Feds (or at least the same price), because there would be less paperwork than a government purchase order.

Not really, they would be the same cost as a regular semi auto AR plus about $25 in extra parts. Colts, today, would still run $1,000+ if they could be purchased new as a full auto by civilians. Still, I would gladly give $1,000 for a full auto, of any kind, right now.

• Like 1

They'd be even cheaper... think about how much of that $1000 is compliance cost with various government regulations.

Every time that gun changes hands, figure there is at least a $25+ cost in just documentation required for the government.

In theory Colt should be able to sell to the public cheaper than it can sell to the Feds (or at least the same price), because there would be less paperwork than a government purchase order.

Then the Feds complain about the pricing difference.

Rutherford has a couple of "special containers" sitting at $250K+  each.

Special indeed.

I looked that one up by NSN (National Stock Number) and it returned the following;

8145-01-490-5543 CONTAINER,SPECIAL 58200-083 SPECIAL FEATURES: ELAMS 96" HIGH W/ECU GREEN 20KW W/TOC NUMBER 2

We had these in Afghanistan in 2002 and Iraq in 2003.  The closest analogy I could think of is a camper.

The container is usually on a trailer bed and has expanding sides to form a TOC (Tactical Operations Center) inside it with a 20KW ECU (Environmental Control Unit) to heat or cool it off as needed.  All in one container, you extend the sides, set them up and run the generator.  You can have a ready to go operational command post set up in about 1-3 hours (they vary by size and I don't know just how big this one is), depending on the time you need to set up desks, chairs, run computer or phone lines and set up your power generators to run all your gadgets. 

They were designed to be very portable (Air Force transport and helicopter sling load in addition to vehicle pulling) for a unit conducting operations in a more conventional type of war.  This probably isn't the exact model Rutherford County acquired since the Army had several variants, but here is a picture to give you an idea of what they look like.

EXPANDABLE LIGHT AIR MOBILE SHELTER (ELAMS)

Expandable-Light-Air-Mobile-Shelter.jpg
Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

I wonder if the difference in department policies would have been a hang up. Interesting idea to be sure. 

I suspect it would more likely be the union...  because that is overtime pay being taken from one of their members.

I wonder if the difference in department policies would have been a hang up. Interesting idea to be sure. 

I looked that one up by NSN (National Stock Number) and it returned the following;

8145-01-490-5543 CONTAINER,SPECIAL 58200-083 SPECIAL FEATURES: ELAMS 96" HIGH W/ECU GREEN 20KW W/TOC NUMBER 2

We had these in Afghanistan in 2002 and Iraq in 2003.  The closest analogy I could think of is a camper.

The container is usually on a trailer bed and has expanding sides to form a TOC (Tactical Operations Center) inside it with a 20KW ECU (Environmental Control Unit) to heat or cool it off as needed.  All in one container, you extend the sides, set them up and run the generator.  You can have a ready to go operational command post set up in about 1-3 hours (they vary by size and I don't know just how big this one is), depending on the time you need to set up desks, chairs, run computer or phone lines and set up your power generators to run all your gadgets. 

They were designed to be very portable (Air Force transport and helicopter sling load in addition to vehicle pulling) for a unit conducting operations in a more conventional type of war.  This probably isn't the exact model Rutherford County acquired since the Army had several variants, but here is a picture to give you an idea of what they look like.

EXPANDABLE LIGHT AIR MOBILE SHELTER (ELAMS)

Expandable-Light-Air-Mobile-Shelter.jpg

Thanks for the research!

Actually I do think that government contracts bring down prices due to the fact that factories have to gear up to produce the quantities they need for the contract.  Once they are finished with the contract and are in replacement mode they can generate some for the civilian market without the extra cost of retooling.  As for auto, I don't care for them.  Even in the military I never went full auto with my M4 unless it was at the range for fam, with the pig sure but that is what its meant for.  Now that ammo comes out of pocket, I'll stick to well placed semi auto shots :pleased:

I'm in agreement with you...  M4's are just for fun more than for defense...  but those same rules prevent us from picking up SAW's and M2's, which would be a lot more fun... and have some valid defense uses ;)

Actually I do think that government contracts bring down prices due to the fact that factories have to gear up to produce the quantities they need for the contract.  Once they are finished with the contract and are in replacement mode they can generate some for the civilian market without the extra cost of retooling.  As for auto, I don't care for them.  Even in the military I never went full auto with my M4 unless it was at the range for fam, with the pig sure but that is what its meant for.  Now that ammo comes out of pocket, I'll stick to well placed semi auto shots :pleased: