Getting calls from a number that is "not in service"

jgradyc

I've been getting calls all day from a local number (615 area code... same as mine).  No one says anything. If I say hello, there is dead air. I set the phone down and it was still connected three minutes later. If I say nothing, the line hangs up in about 10 seconds.  I tried calling the number back (since it was a 615 area code) and got a message "the number you have called is no longer in service?" 

Any idea what is going on?  The number is 615-XXX- 0706. They've called four times today (Saturday.).

Can you block that #? It's probably some kind of ghost, robo, telemarketing thing.

I listed all my #'s on the do not call list. It really helped a lot. No 100% though.

This is the case. I think if you pick up, it disconnects the program and allows a person to answer if they wish. If I don't pick up the call, I usually get a message telling me either I've won a cruise or that I can be helped out of my 10,000+ cc debt.

I got one yesterday that I decided to answer, I picked up and interrupted the  message. After I said hello several times, a mumbling voice identified himself with a name I couldn't make out and said his records indicated I owed over 20, on my credit cards and he could help me get it paid off.

As far as the National and Tennessee Do Not Call lists, yes they help some. But won't block all of them. You need to sing up all your numbers at least once a year to stay active on the lists.

But as we all know, the new dialing programs do seem to get around the DNC lists.

I started laughing and the guy asked why I was doing that. I told him his records were wrong and that I'd needed a good laugh and thanked him for the joke.

He really didn't seem to know what to say after that and hung up.

• Like 1
Also be aware there is a scam where they call you and hang up but when you call back they charge by the minute. They are based out of the Caribbean and according to the news reports nothing could be done to prevent it other than do not call back. And for those who contacted their carrier to dispute the charges the carriers would not. It was something insane too like $10 or $20 a minute.

The call lists get passed around and sold to various companies. One way to stop them is to record the disconnected tone to your answering machine or cell phone greeting. Record the tone then add your individual message right after. To a computer that is dialing it hears the disconnected tone and immediately hangs up. But not only does it hang up but records your number as disconnected in the call list. And from that point forward they will not waste the time calling and anyone else who works of that list will not call you. To a real person calling they hear the disconnected tone but before they can register that your phone is disconnected they hear your voice. So to them it is just a glitch in the system. I did this and after about a week I quit receiving automated calls on my cell phone.

Here is the tone but only record the tone, and not the speech, to your phone or answering machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVbyCZXc5s
I have been having this happen lately on my work phone. I requested a work cell for me to use so I would stop going over on my personal phone. The guy before me who had the phone was some sort of pimp I guess because I get calls from women especially on the weekend. I tell them that he doesn't have the phone now and they have decreased. But anyway, I would get a number calling it and I would answer and nothing. I woukd call back to hear it was "non working". A woman at work called Verizon and had it blocked. They said it was most likely a bill collector that uses an outgoing line only. Edited by glowdotGlock

Evidently the telemarketers, canvassers, and others can buy a relatively inexpensive device that, in effect, lies about what number that's calling... It's a little machine that evidently allows you to "reassign" your real number (...your land or cel line...) to a number you "reassign" that magically appears on your caller id... They are evidently used quite a bit to fool us delightful rustics into thinkin someone other than a telemarketer, pervert, or thug is callin our number....

leroy

It the caller from an unknown number can't leave a message, then I can't take the effort to answer or return calls to unknown people for unknown reasons. If they can't use the phone in a proper manner after the second call, the unknown number is blocked.

• Moderators

Evidently the telemarketers, canvassers, and others can buy a relatively inexpensive device that, in effect, lies about what number that's calling... It's a little machine that evidently allows you to "reassign" your real number (...your land or cel line...) to a number you "reassign" that magically appears on your caller id... They are evidently used quite a bit to fool us delightful rustics into thinkin someone other than a telemarketer, pervert, or thug is callin our number....

leroy

http://m.spoofcard.com/?gclid=CIqPq_PZhMECFeXm7AodLBIArQ

get them all the time.  they run in groups for several day then nothing for several days.  if i do not know the number i do not answer and i do not call back.  if you can not leave me a message i do not need to talk to you.  i done the do not call list and reported them to the list.  i answered some and asked to be taken off.  but,,, they still make it to my phone.  

I will answer every call unless I am asleep and then my ringer is turned off. What I do is ruin their call metrics. Most call centers have guidelines as to how long a call can be before they HAVE to make a sale. Most times I talk for 30 seconds then act like I can no longer hear them. Or I will talk for 30 seconds then lay the phone down next to the television that is on. It takes them a little while to figure out it is not me. I also argue with them over the fact they can barely speak American yet they ALL have American names.

I might start talking to them like they are a long, lost high school buddy I haven't talked to in a couple of decades.

"Rachel" from account services does that all the time to me.

If I have time I act like I'm really interested up until the time they start asking for my info, then I'll ask them how foolish they feel for wasting so much time on me when I've asked to be taken off their call list multiple times.

"Rachel" from account services does that all the time to me.

If I have time I act like I'm really interested up until the time they start asking for my info, then I'll ask them how foolish they feel for wasting so much time on me when I've asked to be taken off their call list multiple times.

Yes, we will take your name off our lists. Right.
Record it as the first noise your answering machine plays. Auto dialers listen for this tone to boot you from their system.
Record whatever you want to say after the tone. Once the tone plays the auto dialer isn't listening for voice after that.

Here is the tone but only record the tone, and not the speech, to your phone or answering machine.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVbyCZXc5s

My phone is set up where it tells me the name of the person calling and if it is not a name in my phone book it cuts the call off before it even reaches my voice mail. It will ring 1.5 times and if not in phone book it's bye bye. Saves me a lot of phone call answering just  to hang up on them................jmho

I got one of those calls today and pressed 1 to talk to him

after he talked and talked and I acted like I agreed.  He started asking for my info and I said no.  finally when I told him I wasn't interested and never had been he said why did you stay on the phone.  I said I wanted to help run up their phone bill.