2014 rifle season pics, keep the pics from your stand and trail cam pics coming too!

Yessir. 1956 savage 99 in .300

My father has a 99c in .308. Incredible rifles that most folks have never seen. Anytime I have it out everyone comes and asked questions about it. Yours is in MUCH better shape though. Dad's was a tool growing up. The finish on the wood and metal are poor and has a bit of pitting but I still think it to be an awesome rifle.
I saw 4 youngsters and 1 mature doe this morning but the wind had them on edge. I was going to go hunt on the other side of the county this afternoon but went up to my folks to eat lunch and fell asleep on the couch until 2:30 so I just stayed here. I just had a young 6 point cruise through and I think I got him on the GoPro. This is my first time using one so I'm not sure I did it right.
  • Like 1

Got my first deer in TN in the past 4 yrs. of trying.  mydoe_zpsbcacf00e.jpg

Congrats! I feel like this season has been 4 years of trying lmao.
Missed a little screwy antlered spike this morning that wouldn't stop for anything. Glad it was a clean miss versus the alternative. Last deer I seen all day.
I let a spike walk this afternoon. I wanted the meat, but want to give him a chance to grow some.
He gave me 3 excellent shots and I flipped the safety off once but then put it back on.

Rain tomorrow, looks like it is expected to hit around 9 or 10 so hopefully they are moving before the storm and I can add to the freezer.
I completely understand people's reluctance to get out when the weather doesn't seem to agree but I would take a strong look at those times especially if you've not been having the best of luck during the more normal hunting times. This goes doubly so for bucks, especially during the rut, but the 10am-2:00pm time slot seems to offer the best chances at a mature buck. I have killed many deer when everyone else was at home and it can be wet and miserable but that buck sighting has always made me forget about it. I've been sitting in shoot houses and PPP up blinds a lot this year so it makes it easier to be out in inclimate weather but prior years I've always been exposed to the elements. I'm gonna go out for a while before church in the morning on the chance that the deer will stir prior to the front they're calling for mid morning. Good luck to all that are headed out.

Guys I have not slept at all tonight. I was hunting in Perry county yesterday and around 2 o'clock I had a large buck run in on me. He stopped about 35 yards from me

and began to look around and sniff. I have seen a few nice bucks over the last few years but never had one come close to this size. When he stopped all I could

see was his back half. I had got a good look at him coming in so I knew he was a shooter. He stepped around the tree and started to turn and run. I hate to say I took the shot.

At first he ran maybe 40 or 50 yards and stopped and just stood their, and then just walked off. I thought I missed and after telling a hunting buddy what happened I went to check where he was standing and found one spot of blood on a small tree a few feet away. I looked till dark and then some. We are making the hour and half drive back at sun rise to look some  more.  I hate this feeling

just let a nice doe go by. 6yr old son's first hunt & he spotted her first!

We had a beautiful broadside of her in the opening of the two trees near the right of the frame.  - just didn't feel it, so we let her go.

IMG_2154_zpsa1f84dc8.jpg

Edited by Peace

I have an extremely busy work schedule, but I was fortunate to have some time off this week. 

Got to go for a little muzzleloader time...

[URL=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/72-oj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps225c06d0.jpg.html]image_zps225c06d0.jpg[/URL]

Had a successful hunt...

[URL=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/72-oj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbb3a3089.jpg.html]image_zpsbb3a3089.jpg[/URL]

Then made it out yesterday for a rifle hunt.  Killed nothing but time...

[URL=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/72-oj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdde3e9ab.jpg.html]image_zpsdde3e9ab.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1
Had agood day yesterday I got a spike frist time deer hunting in 16 years had him down in the frist hour in the stand. Sister in law got a six point yesterday afternoon while my older brother and niece sleep in the shoot house LOL Edited by raildog

no luck for me over the weekend.  Saturday started off with thunder in the distance and light rain on and off, then got so windy I started getting a bit sea sick in the stand. Late afternoon the wind died down, but nothing was moving.

Oh well, still plenty of time to put another deer in the freezer.

I have to vent a little here guys and I know that most of you can relate.  I go through this every year.  People expecting me to give them deer meat because I shot a deer.  I've gotten 5 so far this year.  Though that seems like a lot it will not last my family until next deer season.  If I can get 2 or 3 more I should be good.  I have a friend that helps me process a lot of the deer that I shoot and I give her whatever she wants and do it gladly because I'm very thankful for her help.  What bugs me are the people that don't want to come out and help with the skinning, quartering, deboning, and grinding, but want me to give them some deer meat, and they usually request the prime cuts.  I really think that most of the general population thinks "Oh he shot a deer, he's got more meat than he can ever use..."  I can't tell you how many people have told me that they will "take some tenderloin."  This deer meat is what I feed my family with throughout the year, none of these people asking for meat are hard up, most are better off financially than my family is.  If the shoe were on the other foot and I went to their house and just started raiding all of the chicken and beef out of their freezer I'm sure that wouldn't be cool.  If any of them were hungry it would be different and I'd willingly share, but that just isn't the case. 

:RANT OFF:

• Like 5

FINALLY!!!First deer down of the season after 4.7 million hours invested lol. Can't post a pic because his rack is too big to get in the frame.... well, there's my hunting "He was <----> this big" story, but truth is he's a nice 7 pointer, biggest and coolest rack for me. He has crab claws on the main beams. Well, one had the tip broke off, but EXTREMELY happy today y'all! Pics when I get home.

Here's the pictures, check out his crab claws. I think they are cool as hell. Like LukeE said, I could get it replaced at taxidermist, but he had to fight to break it so I'll do him justice and leave it as is.

Buck1_zps65f6f0e8.jpg

Buck2_zpsf06dcfa1.jpg

Buck3_zpscee8c459.jpg

I would have liked to get a picture with it, but nobody to take it and didn't really have a great place to set the camera for a selfie. I'm sure I could have figured it out but I was too excited to think about anything else :)

Buck4_zpsf7634b83.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 11

Went out for a quick hunt before church yesterday, tons of squirrels and then two coyotes moved in about 80 yards as I was climbing down. I always carry my distress call, and 3 quick hits on the call sent them my way. Lost visual on the bigger one, but had a 40 yrd shot on this one. 62grain Speer did the trick...
5cd331de911e3cea55ed5b9e9e9e40bd.jpg

• Like 5