2014 rifle season pics, keep the pics from your stand and trail cam pics coming too!

I have been looking forward to shooting 3-gun this sat morning for a long time, but now I am torn. I've got a lot of activity (including the tall 7pt) on my land, and I have witnessed some rutting behavior. Historically, muzzleloader season is the most productive time of year for me, so now I'm faced with a tough decision: 3-gun in the morning (usually lasted till 3p) followed by a late afternoon ML hunt, or blow off 3gun completely this month and chase whitetails all day :confused:

I'm leaning in the direction of backstraps. I have a lot of fun at 3-gun though, so it's a tough choice...

I have been looking forward to shooting 3-gun this sat morning for a long time, but now I am torn. I've got a lot of activity (including the tall 7pt) on my land, and I have witnessed some rutting behavior. Historically, muzzleloader season is the most productive time of year for me, so now I'm faced with a tough decision: 3-gun in the morning (usually lasted till 3p) followed by a late afternoon ML hunt, or blow off 3gun completely this month and chase whitetails all day :confused:

I'm leaning in the direction of backstraps. I have a lot of fun at 3-gun though, so it's a tough choice...

Look out at the moon and let it make the decision. According to a 20+ year on going study this years rut should be hard hitting with the best mature buck hunting falling between the 9th and the 19th. Rutting activity has seemed to start earlier than they would suggest though so I'm thinking Saturday morning should be great especially with the moon so large tonight. I talked to an aquantence this afternoon and he said he saw 4 doe and 8 bucks this morning between daylight and 10:30 so I'd say your chances will be peak this weekend. Edited by Luke E.
  • Like 1

Got this guy on a few shots when I checked my camera today.  He is a nice 8 pointer.  

8pointer.jpg

Looks like a great deer to get your sights on.

I'm getting ready now.  I will load up the truck in the morning, pick up my FIL after work and head out the hunting property.   Can't wait!

I'm back in the truck now, waiting on my FIL.
I got out on the ridge this morning to a busted up tree stand. So ended up sitting on the ground until a few minutes ago and decided I was finished.
A branch fell out of the tree and hit my stand and busted one of the arms in half. Will get a picture up later.

I'm looking for another decent climber now... May have to bring my lock on stand out here and go buy a ladder to use for rifle season.

I did have a dozen turkeys fly down and feed in front of me. All Jakes and toms, a couple good 8" beards. They came up within 20 yards of me and I got some video with my phone.

I'm back in the truck now, waiting on my FIL.
I got out on the ridge this morning to a busted up tree stand. So ended up sitting on the ground until a few minutes ago and decided I was finished.
A branch fell out of the tree and hit my stand and busted one of the arms in half. Will get a picture up later.

I'm looking for another decent climber now... May have to bring my lock on stand out here and go buy a ladder to use for rifle season.

I did have a dozen turkeys fly down and feed in front of me. All Jakes and toms, a couple good 8" beards. They came up within 20 yards of me and I got some video with my phone.

Wow. Just be happy ya weren't sitting in the stand when the branch fell. Lots of widow maker limbs out there.

Butchering syntax with Tapatalk

Wow. Just be happy ya weren't sitting in the stand when the branch fell. Lots of widow maker limbs out there.

Yeah... This must have happened when the stand was really cold/brittle and/or this fell from way up high - I have seen limbs this size hit other stands and just slightly bend them. I looked and could not tell where it came from, the couple of dead limbs I could see where on trees at least 10 feet away. I am glad that it broke and was very obvious - much netter than only cracked and not knowing until I started to climb.

This is how it looked, nothing was lying on the stand.

20141108_072159.jpg

20141108_072206.jpg

The platform was not visibly damaged at all. I am thinking about researching some strap on seats, or looking at welding on a folding seat so I can still use the platform. Going to try and wait until season closes to buy a new climber and hopefully catch a good sale. Luckily we have the 2 ladder stands out there so I can still hunt. I may even take my lock on and hang it on this ridge for rifle season.

Edited by jonathon1289
Well this morning started off really well, just after daylight I had 3 doe come in to browse. About 10-15 minutes later a little button buck cruised in with a new found attitude and next came a spike and next came a really nice 2 1/2 yr 8 point. They were pushing, shoving and butting heads, boy was it funny to see that lil guy with bumps on his head try to get in on the action but they kept pushing him aside. I wasn't going to shoot anything until in walked in a buck with twisted up antlers. I've seen him on my cameras a few times and decided that I'd cull him if I got the chance so I stuck the smoke out the window and let him have it. It smacked just behind the shoulder in the lungs and he cringed and I thought for sure he was going to drop right there. I thought wrong! This all happened right after daylight and I've been tracking every since. Blood may be 75-100 yards between drops. I'll hit a spot where I'll find 4-5 drops in a 10 yard string but then it disappears. He's running in anything but a straight line so when the blood runs out I might take 30 minutes to find more. I finally got to a spot that the blood seemed to be starting to flow but then it dried up again and I have found no more since. I'm not sure what to do but it eats me up to not find one.

I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot, but look what my old man had with him when he stopped by the house this morning!

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/Image003_zpsd175175b.jpg.html]Image003_zpsd175175b.jpg[/URL]

Good rack, but it's positively the largest, fattest Tennessee whitetail I've ever seen in person. I had no means to weigh it, but I feel certain it was very close to 200lbs dressed.

• Like 5

I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot, but look what my old man had with him when he stopped by the house this morning!

Image003_zpsd175175b.jpg

Good rack, but it's positively the largest, fattest Tennessee whitetail I've ever seen in person. I had no means to weigh it, but I feel certain it was very close to 200lbs dressed.

HOLY CRAP! Tell him congrats!

Well this morning started off really well, just after daylight I had 3 doe come in to browse. About 10-15 minutes later a little button buck cruised in with a new found attitude and next came a spike and next came a really nice 2 1/2 yr 8 point. They were pushing, shoving and butting heads, boy was it funny to see that lil guy with bumps on his head try to get in on the action but they kept pushing him aside. I wasn't going to shoot anything until in walked in a buck with twisted up antlers. I've seen him on my cameras a few times and decided that I'd cull him if I got the chance so I stuck the smoke out the window and let him have it. It smacked just behind the shoulder in the lungs and he cringed and I thought for sure he was going to drop right there. I thought wrong! This all happened right after daylight and I've been tracking every since. Blood may be 75-100 yards between drops. I'll hit a spot where I'll find 4-5 drops in a 10 yard string but then it disappears. He's running in anything but a straight line so when the blood runs out I might take 30 minutes to find more. I finally got to a spot that the blood seemed to be starting to flow but then it dried up again and I have found no more since. I'm not sure what to do but it eats me up to not find one.

I'm stuck here at work for at least another hour due to a company not doing what they were supposed to. But I'll call you when I'm leaving to see where you stand and come help if you haven't found it.

I feel your pain. I arrowed one last week. Trailed 2 days. Never found him. Gonna buy some luminol soon. One of those times ya wish ya had a beagle, feist, or mountain cur. Good luck!

Image003_zpsd175175b.jpg

Nice buck! Saw one about the same size this morning but couldn't get a shot. Just got back in the woods. Hopefully I will see him again this afternoon.
I just gave up about 30 minutes ago. I rode the 4 wheeler down the road and came through the neighbor's side. I rode the spring bed and looked over both sides really well and then went back to hiking. I found a really cool waterfall/cave type thing that I never knew was there before so I'll post a few pics of that as well. It's spring fed and has some of the best ice cold water running over.
I'm waiting on Ruger to get here to head back out. Hopefully there will be something there to put on a show like this morning.
Good luck fellas!

I know what you mean. That's happened to me twice with a muzzleloader where I knew I had a good hit but hard to follow blood. I eventually found both deer but it took a long time. Hope ya find him!
I found hunting out in Tx with wide open range. If you know you hit them and they get up and run off. Don't start tracking for at least an hour if daylight permits. They will usually lay down and bleed out if you don't press them. I hate losing a deer more than missing.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I was glad we had the Fox hounds when I was growing up. We only lost 1 deer in all the years I can remember and we lost that deer to the Cumberland river. Hounds trailed the deer blood trail right up to the bank of the river and you could see slide tracks on the steep bank where the deers hoofs dug into the mud when it slid down and there was blood in the mud. There is a island out in the river about 125 yards. I don't think the deer made it to the island but it dang sure tried I think. Thing is the deer was hit really hard and went down hard and I waited in stand for about 3 or 4 minutes and all at once I looked at it was back up and before I could get off a second shot he was gone. Shot him with a Savage 308 at about 60 yards that i had probably taken 50 deer with but that was one tough determined deer...............jmho

I found hunting out in Tx with wide open range. If you know you hit them and they get up and run off. Don't start tracking for at least an hour if daylight permits. They will usually lay down and bleed out if you don't press them. I hate losing a deer more than missing.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sat in the blind for 30-45 minutes before I started walking. I feel very confident that I didn't jump him because I would have seen him anywhere in the first 300 yards or so before I would have jumped him. 

I lost sight of him about 5yds from where he was hit at which time he jumped the fence on the property line. I looked for 45 minutes before I found the first blood and it was a bright neon pink with fat and tissue all in a few clumps but all of it was within 3' of the first drop. The next blood was found (another 45 minutes to an hour) about 100 yards away and no where near in line with the directions that the first blood was headed. After this point the deer was walking (judging by the tracks I was seeing) and eventually the sign looked as if he was just casually browsing along. There is no reason that I should ever found anymore blood after this because there was so much distance between blood and again, it was found no where even close to where the last blood would suggest to look. He would travel along and then make a 120 degree turn and then eventually turn again. The first blood was found on top of a hill heading down the hill towards my right and then the 2nd blood was also found down that way. I looked and looked for more blood in the area and had no luck but I hiked back to the top and about 200 yards down the other side just to look. I stopped to catch my breath and was leaning against a tree when I looked down and saw another chunk of tissue and blood. How did he get 3-400yards on the other side of the hill with no sign showing that he'd done it? Anyways, the blood went on for about 15 yards (only 5-6 drops and chunks of tissue) and then completely vanished again. I walked all over that hill side until I felt like I was going to collapse and finally I told the man upstairs that I sure hated to lose this animal and needed some help and that's when I looked down and about an inch from my right boot was blood and tissue which yet again was no where near the last blood and and no where near the trail that it was on. This was the longest string of blood yet and I thought that just maybe he'd be at the end on this trail but nope... and that was the last blood I found. I shot the deer about 20 minutes after daylight and aside from the few minutes taken to eat lunch I searched until 2:30-3:00 at which time I had looked every where that I knew to look. Not having blood or any kind or sign to follow coupled with hundreds and hundreds of acres to search left me with a decision and considering there were 20-30' rock bluffs the really weren't anymore places to look that made any sense. I may not be great at a lot of things but I am excellent at tracking deer but I met my match this go around. On a brighter note I did find some cool places down in a couple of those hollows including an old spring fed waterfall that I mention above. I will post pics from my phone as soon as I post this.