Getting My Dog Back

Heck, I even let my kids go outside and play! :shhh: Not chained or penned or anything.

Sometimes they get together with neighboring kids and play.

Sort of the same as my dog.

You're obviously a menace to society. 

I agree if you life in a more populated area. I live on a dead end country road. It's the only place I've ever lived. I've had a few dogs over my years but have never owned a pen or had one tied up. I am surounded by 320 acres of family and friend's land. I have full access to it all. There are ponds, barns and all kinds of fun stuff. There are less than 15 houses on my road and he is like a "celebrity" on our road. There are a few neighborhood dogs that get together and play. The guy called him up from one of the fields he was ok to be in. It's all Colt's land too. I live next door to my parents and around the perimeter of our properties there is literally a path of brown grass where he walks around our houses. It is weird but I have come outside at 2 or 3 am before to see him "doing his rounds" around the property like a guard in a prison lol

Sounds like a damn good dog. And you'll have him back tomorrow and all of this talk will be forgotten. 

• Like 2

Why do some of you guys go around picking up dogs that don't belong to you?

As far as this thread goes, that seems like the larger problem here. If the guy would have simply left the op's dog alone, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Or the dog could be dead from many things. There isn't a 100% right or wrong answer here.

This place is getting to be like FOX vs MSNBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Hozzie

Do you pick up peoples' kids and take them home with you? What's the difference?

If the kid wasn't near a home and looked lost, yes I would help that kid find his home. I bet you would to.

Or just leave him to fend for himself for a few days? Again this isn't a black and white issue. I don't know what the guy was thinking when he picked up the dog and neither does anyone else. It could have been for every right reason. I would be glad my dog (or kid) was alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Hozzie

Why do some of you guys go around picking up dogs that don't belong to you?

Are you kidding? If my dogs broke out I would hope there are at least a few decent people like myself who would do what they could to keep them from being hit by a car and returned home safe. The fact that I've done it over a dozen times in the past few years, and having many of the owners thank me profusely tells me I did the right thing. Of course, it's attitudes like yours which make people like me reconsider doing good deeds. I hate the headache associated with doing nice things for assholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It is $80 which isn't much. It was just the point. The land they say he was walking off of is family farm land. Not my family but neighbors and friends. He is also somewhat of a "celebrity" in my neighborhood. I can see how a stranger wouldn't know that. I will most likely pay and just call it a reward and shake hands and be on my way. I let him sleep in the kitchen on cool or rainy nights but any other time he is free to roam around our woods and land. I don't like to pen one up or put them on a chain.

$80 is a fraction of what some rescues charge, it doesn't sound like this guy had any kind of scam set up.  Hell, we pay our friends $25/day to watch our dogs when we're out of town.

Think so. If you get lucky, you might catch a special. The chips are very cheap so it's a high mark-up (worth it, even at that though)

It's actually cheaper if you can do it at a festival or some kind of event.  We just had both of ours chipped at some Nashville dog festival or something a couple of months ago and it was $25 each.  The vet doing the work had volunteered his time and all they were charging was the cost of the device.

I love dogs and hate to see anything bad happen to one at large, so I understand the people who think they need to rescue every dog they see. However, some of the dogs out there being rescued are actually being abducted, but how do you know? You have to make a judgement call. Here's how I decide:

If the dog is friendly, clean, healthy, well-fed, and happy, I assume the dog has a good owner and dropping him off at the pound is the fastest/safest way to ensure he'll be reunited his owner. That's the first place people look. In fact, I may call animal control to recover the pet, so I don't look like a pet kidnapper.

If the dog is in any other condition and isn't aggressive, I feel like taking it home to clean him up, feed him, and maybe even pet him a while is a good thing. I'd still take pics and notify the pound that I have him, because that's where the owner will look first. I'd still consider taking him in, because I get attached to critters pretty easily.

You can always rescue the dog from the pound before it's put down, if no owner shows up.

It's actually cheaper if you can do it at a festival or some kind of event.  We just had both of ours chipped at some Nashville dog festival or something a couple of months ago and it was $25 each.  The vet doing the work had volunteered his time and all they were charging was the cost of the device.

Looks like the devices can be had for as cheap as $7 or less (in bulk) on ebay and a little more legit but $25 is a good price to pay to have someone know what they're doing do it.

Just the chips themselves are less than a couple of bucks so you're also paying for the disposable injector and the packaging.

With regard to the original poster, I'd definitely consider mentioning this to law enforcement. If there's any pattern of this guy making off with peoples dogs, they need to be able to put it together. I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt in the meantime though.

Edited by tnguy
Well folks, I went and got my Colt back this morning. I must say it was a nice place. It is in Pulaski on a 35 acre farm. Very nice man and woman. It seemed to me to be on the up and up. I didn't even want to leave lol. They had a big nice cabin and a barn and a couple ponds. He was taken good care of. They actually have there a camel. Yep, an 8 foot tall camel that Colt had befriended in his last few months there. I am glad I got him back. They actually didn't even ask for a fee but I went ahead and donated generously. He is back home doing well. We are sitting outside by the fire as I type. I am going to get him chipped next week when I take the smaller dog in for her second rounds of shots. Glad he is home.
  • Like 11

Well folks, I went and got my Colt back this morning. I must say it was a nice place. It is in Pulaski on a 35 acre farm. Very nice man and woman. It seemed to me to be on the up and up. I didn't even want to leave lol. They had a big nice cabin and a barn and a couple ponds. He was taken good care of. They actually have there a camel. Yep, an 8 foot tall camel that Colt had befriended in his last few months there. I am glad I got him back. They actually didn't even ask for a fee but I went ahead and donated generously. He is back home doing well. We are sitting outside by the fire as I type. I am going to get him chipped next week when I take the smaller dog in for her second rounds of shots. Glad he is home.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to hear you got him back! Also awesome that he was taken good care of, and what a bonus to the story "He befriended a camel while he was gone". Not a story you hear very often  :up:

• Like 1

That is stupendous news all the way around. I'm especially happy to hear they
didn't ask you for money. I'm with you, I'd have donated generously too...good
on you, sir. I bet your buddy was damn glad to see you too, huh?
  • Like 1

That is stupendous news all the way around. I'm especially happy to hear they
didn't ask you for money. I'm with you, I'd have donated generously too...good
on you, sir. I bet your buddy was damn glad to see you too, huh?

He sure was. Now that he's home it's like he never left.
  • Like 1

He sure was. Now that he's home it's like he never left.

I feel like I'm reading a TGO version of a Disney movie. I'm gonna go fill my wife in on the details, she's anxious to hear how this story turns out. Again, I'm happy as hell for you on getting your best friend back.
  • Like 2

I hate the headache associated with doing nice things for assholes.

Then if you ever see a black lab in Macon county out for a hike, do this asshole a favor and let him be.

I'm glad glowdot got his dog back. :up: :up:

Edited by gregintenn

Glad your dog is back home.  Years ago, I had a hound (with a micro chip)  stolen from my truck.  A few weeks later I received a call from a rescue group in an ajoining county, that they had my dog.  They said they didn't take reward money for rescues.  They get a donation mailed to them every year.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

We can't have a thread ending on a happy note like this.  There was so much speculation that these folks were kidnapping dogs, whisking them away to some creepy barn out in the middle of a field full of crop circles, and slowly grinding them alive into snausages [sic] with an under-powered lumber chipper.

At least tell us that the camel had ebola or something.

:)

• Like 10