I must look funny or something.

Tobashadow

I've noticed the following.

Gander Mountain - Ignored even while directly talking to someone infront of me to the point it even pissed off my son.

Academy - Not even acknowledged I was there.

Frontier Firearms - Had to about beg for help then talked down upon for my choices.

Buds - Had to get customer service to get the same people ignoring me to help me.

Dunham's - Would just about hang from the rafters if asked to make a sale for me.

What was the original post about? Huh? :pleased:   OH yeah! You'll need to post a picture.

You could grow one of those turned down mustaches that makes men look mean (Women too for that matter) 

Cut your hair into a mohawk and die it bright RED. 

Wear a 10 gallon cowboy hat and when you walk in say "YIPPY EYE AYE! I GOT A POCKET FULL OF CASH AND I'M HEAR TO BUY!"

Sometimes being invisible isn't a bad thing either.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 2
If you wanted to complete your day just go to the Outpost Armory.
I'm still livid about my most recent experience. I'm done with them after the fifth time trying to buy something. I will never go back.
FT , I will do my best to spread the word about how worthless they are. Edited by R1100R
  • Like 1

It is not you; it is the non-customer service stores you frequent.
Try a nice local gunshop with quality service and you will never go to one of them bs stores again.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I would if I could find one.

Of the local ones

One shut down due to "spousal" problems between the two owners

One down the hill from me is run by a retired guy who has no ammo and maybe five to ten run of the mill bolt actions. I like the guy and bought a pistol there years ago but he has nothing to offer me and has told me that, he won't even do transfers last time I asked.

One little Shop a couple towns over I had hope for is dirty and the guns for sale are nasty in the bore, none are clean at all like they are shot for hundreds of rounds. And way overpriced.

One is the "Tacti Cool" shop of laughter in Maddisonville with the people wearing the carry badges lol, I shouldn't have to say more.

Farnsworth, ignored me twice a few years ago even when I tried to get his attention to buy a gun he had.

Frontier Firearms I had hope for but they talk down on me if I even make a mention of surplus battle rifles which is my other love. And that just burns me that they don't realize not every person only like brand new guns and by laughing cause I asked if they had any or parts for some just turned me from them at that point. They even made the point to laugh at me for buying a pink set of houge grips my wife wanted. I told them to just forget about the pistol I was looking at. I had spent over 2 grand there the week before so I wasn't a lurker.

Other than that it's all pawn shops around me unless I want to drive a hour or more.

I would if I could find one.
Of the local ones
One shut down due to "spousal" problems between the two owners
One down the hill from me is run by a retired guy who has no ammo and maybe five to ten run of the mill bolt actions. I like the guy and bought a pistol there years ago but he has nothing to offer me and has told me that, he won't even do transfers last time I asked.
One little Shop a couple towns over I had hope for is dirty and the guns for sale are nasty in the bore, none are clean at all like they are shot for hundreds of rounds. And way overpriced.
One is the "Tacti Cool" shop of laughter in Maddisonville with the people wearing the carry badges lol, I shouldn't have to say more.
Farnsworth, ignored me twice a few years ago even when I tried to get his attention to buy a gun he had.
Frontier Firearms I had hope for but they talk down on me if I even make a mention of surplus battle rifles which is my other love. And that just burns me that they don't realize not every person only like brand new guns and by laughing cause I asked if they had any or parts for some just turned me from them at that point. They even made the point to laugh at me for buying a pink set of houge grips my wife wanted. I told them to just forget about the pistol I was looking at. I had spent over 2 grand there the week before so I wasn't a lurker.
Other than that it's all pawn shops around me unless I want to drive a hour or more.

That's a lot of shops and a lot of variety. There must be some common denominator....

That's a lot of shops and a lot of variety. There must be some common denominator....

It's either bad selection and over priced little Shop.

Or its a snobby tactical shop that has only $1,000+ top of the line AR rifles and everything else is hipoint quality to them.

Or its good selection and prices but the people there would rather talk to people they know about their latest hunt or the weather and then walk away into the back when that person leaves ignoring me. A couple of buddy's of mine have had the same reactions in those places.

It makes me wish I could open my own place but id be my own best customer tho lol.

I really miss the shop that was in Athens but they folded. I spent plenty there and they was always willing to discuss any gun I wanted to look at to the point of breaking one down I had questions about and had a broad selection from new to old and they never cared what you chose from a Desert Eagle to a Jennings to them it seemed just as good if that's what you wanted.

I've been in a hunt ever since, the Dunham's out there does me good but they are extremely limited due to what they are and a bit pricey but I've bought three thru them. Only problem I had was with one guy that was a smart-ass because I wanted a $200 shotgun to play with to see if I could handle it with my medical issues (former post of mine here) instead of the $1000 Auto Benalli. He didn't last long there.

I go in, I look around and spot what I want to see and quietly and politely wait nearby at the case on the person to finish his conversation, I'll make sure to make lots of eye contact and a gesture or say excuse me as they finish and the person will just stroll away and help someone else that arrived after me or go wander to the back. Edited by Tobashadow

It's not that you look funny or anything. Your problem is your to nice. When I go to Academy or someplace similar I quit being nice when I clear the door on my way in. Once inside I am a customer and being a customer I will ask for help once and that person better not try and leave me until I am done shopping in their department. If they do they don't try to do it twice because my nice is not with me. I left it at the door when I walked in. I don't mind getting rude to get my point across in a store if they want my money. Quit being so nice and quit being a "Shadow"......  When you walk into a business your not there to serve them. Your there for them to serve you and share your hard earned money with them. Make them earn it.....................jmho

• Like 3
So I got to be a Asshole to buy a gun?

Nice, just what I don't want to be known as lol.

At the gun shows the only ones that want to talk to me without having to use a cattle prod are the ones you just know are trying to rip you off and tell them that. Edited by Tobashadow

That is really my favorite LGS.  It's true Robert does get pre-occupied with a customer or on the phone, but others will be happy to wait on you.  Ask for Ben or Robert Sr.  It's also not the most orderly store, but I enjoy rummaging around a bit....kind of like going through the attic. 

The other LGS I head to in Maryville is Bill's Outpost.  A bit pricier than than Farnsworth and doesn't really deal, but has a large selection of new guns and a few used.  The guys in there always ask if they can help, I and don't look like a big spender.

So I got to be a Asshole to buy a gun?

Nice, just what I don't want to be known as lol.

At the gun shows the only ones that want to talk to me without having to use a cattle prod are the ones you just know are trying to rip you off and tell them that.

I have found that to be true in most big box and Brick and Mortar stores and not just gun stores. It seems that customer service has become a thing of the past along with manners and respect of children towards adults...........jmho

• Like 1

I've found even the good stores are hit and miss sometimes.  I've also been surprised when the "bad ones" pull a rat out of a hat sometimes (or is it rabbit?).  

If I'm having trouble, I usually look for the guy who wants to talk and ask him about "x".  I don't talk - just listen.  More often than not, after that, I have his undivided attention.

Of course, there are some stores that don't even qualify as human.  When I lived in East TN, I couldn't get used to the "wild west" cliquish ways of the gun stores.  Believe it or not, Coal Creek was the exception for me.  I wasn't an "old friend" when I walked in, but I was noticed, respected, and it was consistent.

Believe it or not, Coal Creek was the exception for me.  I wasn't an "old friend" when I walked in, but I was noticed, respected, and it was consistent.

Just as an update, Coal Creek went up the creek and is now under new ownership, T.A.C. (Tactical Advantage Corp.)

I was at T.A.C. yesterday and it seems to be a very nice small to medium shop. I thought the buy behind the counter a little cool at first. I did have to walk over to the counter to get him to speak at first.

But after that it was all good. Guess I had a bad look about me or something. 

Anyway, the atmosphere warmed up as we started talking, and I actually bought something while waiting on gunsane for a meet.

Left some money there; bought an HK Epidemic. Very nice OTF. I had the counter help there, and at SMKW, tell me that Microtech mad the HK knives. 

All I can say is that it sure operated as soundly as the Troodoon. Just as forceful in opening and closing. Seems very solidly built. As far as I'm concerned and could discern, its weak point is its looks.

Handles look like the typical hard polymer on a lot of our pistols. It just didn't seem to translate as well on the knife.

That is really my favorite LGS.  It's true Robert does get pre-occupied with a customer or on the phone, but others will be happy to wait on you.  Ask for Ben or Robert Sr.  It's also not the most orderly store, but I enjoy rummaging around a bit....kind of like going through the attic.

My favorite, too.  I don't think the staff 'ignores' people on purpose so much as the regulars like to talk to them and Robbie tends to try to do ten things at once.  Saturday mornings are especially hectic in there.  I have had a couple of guns that had to go back to the factory for work and Robbie never has a problem sending them with one of his shipments.  Because of that I have yet to send anything back to the factory on my dime.  He even sent a P3AT that needed repairs back for me that I didn't even buy from him (and I told him that I hadn't.)

Frontier used to be okay but pretty high priced back when they were in the little shop.  Some of their staff were better than others but overall they were pretty good.  Since the move to the bigger/better facility, though, I don't like going in there very much.

I have heard good things about Fugate's down on the other side of Athens (I guess it is in Calhoun or Charleston) but have never been in there.  There is Loudon County Sportsman in Lenoir City but the guns there must all have gold lined barrels based on the prices I have seen.  Benton Shooter's Supply down on the other side of Delano is a big store with a good selection but they are also very 'proud' of their merchandise.  I kind of got turned off of them back during the last ammo shortage when they were splitting Remington UMC 100 round value pack boxes of .380 ammo and selling them in trays of 50 for as much as what the whole 100 round packs cost at Walmart.  Smacked a little too much of Cheaper than Dirt's business practices for my liking.  That was reinforced the last time I was in there a month or two ago and saw that their regular, run of the mill .22LR was priced at $7.00 or more for a box of 50.  That's worse than Gouger Mountain!  They actually had more .22LR on the shelf than I have seen in a long time and, as far as I am concerned, they can keep it.  I did get a decent (not great but decent) deal on a used Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum there a few years back.

Edited by JAB

It's either bad selection and over priced little Shop.

Or its a snobby tactical shop that has only $1,000+ top of the line AR rifles and everything else is hipoint quality to them.

Or its good selection and prices but the people there would rather talk to people they know about their latest hunt or the weather and then walk away into the back when that person leaves ignoring me. A couple of buddy's of mine have had the same reactions in those places.

It makes me wish I could open my own place but id be my own best customer tho lol.

I really miss the shop that was in Athens but they folded. I spent plenty there and they was always willing to discuss any gun I wanted to look at to the point of breaking one down I had questions about and had a broad selection from new to old and they never cared what you chose from a Desert Eagle to a Jennings to them it seemed just as good if that's what you wanted.

I've been in a hunt ever since, the Dunham's out there does me good but they are extremely limited due to what they are and a bit pricey but I've bought three thru them. Only problem I had was with one guy that was a smart-ass because I wanted a $200 shotgun to play with to see if I could handle it with my medical issues (former post of mine here) instead of the $1000 Auto Benalli. He didn't last long there.

I go in, I look around and spot what I want to see and quietly and politely wait nearby at the case on the person to finish his conversation, I'll make sure to make lots of eye contact and a gesture or say excuse me as they finish and the person will just stroll away and help someone else that arrived after me or go wander to the back.

There is a new store in that same building now.  I haven't been in yet but I looked in the window when I 1st saw the sign. Might be worth a try.  For new guns I use the shop off Watt Rd. 

My favorite, too.  I don't think the staff 'ignores' people on purpose so much as the regulars like to talk to them and Robbie tends to try to do ten things at once.  Saturday mornings are especially hectic in there.  I have had a couple of guns that had to go back to the factory for work and Robbie never has a problem sending them with one of his shipments.  Because of that I have yet to send anything back to the factory on my dime.  He even sent a P3AT that needed repairs back for me that I didn't even buy from him (and I told him that I hadn't.)

I've never been not helped by the staff at Robbies.  Usually when I go in there I wanna talk to Robbie so I don't go unless I got time to kill just looking around waiting for him to get "freed" up.

I went in there once when they first opened.  Once.  Noticed the staff was wearing 'Carry Permit' badges and have not been back.

I've never been not helped by the staff at Robbies.  Usually when I go in there I wanna talk to Robbie so I don't go unless I got time to kill just looking around waiting for him to get "freed" up.

Me, too - especially if it is a Saturday morning I go in expecting to be there for an hour or so.  If I don't specifically need to talk to Robbie it is usually pretty easy to get Ben's attention.  He might be having a conversation with someone else but he will interrupt that to ask if I need any help.