Robert O'Neill (aka Osama Killer) in Maryville, TN tonight (11/6/2014)

runco

According to one source I heard today, it was never his intent to make his real identity publicly known, dunno.

Did SOFREP originally out Owen/Bissonnette too, when did his real name first become known? I mean, even in the recent 60 Minute interviews he was heavily disguised with makeup.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Did SOFREP originally out Owen/Bissonnette too, when did his real name first become known? I mean, even in the recent 60 Minute interviews he was heavily disguised with makeup.

- OS

Not sure.  I read No Easy Day back in 2013, and I already knew then that Bissonnette was the writer's real name. On 60 Minutes, he may just have wanted to conceal his looks.  O'Neill's name has been rumored out there for a while as "The Shooter."  Not really sure if SOFREP originally outed both of them, but O'Neill hasn't exactly kept a low profile regarding previous DEVGRU operations.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
  • Like 1

I've read some stories that he brought his story out in response to being denied proper VA healthcare and having some of his benefits reduced due to leaving the service 3 yeas early. I have no opinion on this really, don't know the details, just that this is being heavily reported.

I've read some stories that he brought his story out in response to being denied proper VA healthcare and having some of his benefits reduced due to leaving the service 3 yeas early.

I wasn't going to pipe in on this but, alas my mouth and thoughts are over riding my common sense. I retired from the Navy in 05 with 20 years of service. Any Sailor that serves more than a few years knows full well what is required to reached retirement and get benefits. This dude served in Teams and worked his way to DevGru. I am having a hard time believing he is dumb enough to think the Navy/DOD is going to pay him without serving the required time. Just my $0.02.

• Like 1

yup.. regardless what you do.. you have to at least serve until retirement.but then again..I do not believe they killed him anyway..I think they where coerced to say and someone  wrote up the whole scenario  ..Its all about the Obama administration.He has not done crapp for the economy or the States.. He wanted at least that under his belt. Its a well written story.. I just dont believe  it

I don't know about anyone else but I would be PISSED if someone else made my identity known without my permission. This guy probably has a HUGE bounty on his head now.

Time in service has no bearing on your VA benefits. Trainees who get injured during basic training become eligible for VA benefits when they exit service. Even if he did not make it to retirement he is still eligible for VA benefits. If he is rated over 30% he gets bumped up to category 1 and gets VA payments that including his dependents for figuring out how much he is going to be paid. The ONLY way he would be refused VA treatment or compensation is if he was dishonorably discharged. I am a category 1 veteran and I was not in anywhere close to this guy.

By exiting early he probably lost his TriCare coverage for him and his family, that is unless he kept up with the payments, and that is what he is talking about. ALL veterans exiting the service can keep Tricare, not just retirees, but they must keep up with the monthly payment. I can guarantee he knew full well he would loose his retirement by leaving early.

I do not believe they killed him anyway..I think they where coerced to say and someone  wrote up the whole scenario  ..Its all about the Obama administration.He has not done crapp for the economy or the States.. He wanted at least that under his belt. Its a well written story.. I just dont believe  it

Where do you think he is?

I have mixed emotions too.  I did patronize the No Easy Day book, the movie Zero Dark Thirty, and the BluRay Zero Dark Thirty.  Not sure if this guy contributed to those items, but someone got my money.  I do understand the comment that was made on 60 minutes the other night from pen name Mark Owen (Matt Bissonnette), that if retired generals, former Secretaries of Defense, and other higher ups can leak classified information for $$$, why can't a an enlisted person do the same. 

To me, anyone that signs a NDA (non-closure agreement) to protect our nations secrets, and violates these secrets, then are they not traitor?  Do we not have laws on the books for this.  I say prosecute to the fullest if evidence supports!  Then leaks would certainly be reduced.

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/traitor_zpse5124df3.jpg.html]traitor_zpse5124df3.jpg[/URL]

Ok, there is no such thing as a non disclosure agreement within the military. There IS some forms you sign saying you will not disclosed classified information such as operational details but nothing saying you cannot discuss operations in general terms.

Someone saying they killed OBL is not against the law, now disclosing the how, what, where, why as well as detailed any classified equipment can get you in trouble.

I am sure most of these writers have all been briefed, or at least know, what they can and cannot say to keep themselves out of the eyes of the government.

By exiting early he probably lost his TriCare coverage for him and his family, that is unless he kept up with the payments, and that is what he is talking about. ALL veterans exiting the service can keep Tricare, not just retirees, but they must keep up with the monthly payment. I can guarantee he knew full well he would loose his retirement by leaving early.

I never heard anything about regular ETS'ing folks getting to enroll in Tricare after they get out.  I had Tricare extended to me for 180 days since I was stop-lossed, but I never heard a peep about any way to stay enrolled after that.  Do you have a link?

Ok, there is no such thing as a non disclosure agreement within the military. There IS some forms you sign saying you will not disclosed classified information such as operational details but nothing saying you cannot discuss operations in general terms.

Well, there is such a thing as a nondisclosure agreement in the military, it's titled a "Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement" and covers classified info like you said.  The fine print always was it's up to the units to decide what is classified and what isn't.  In a SOF unit, I'd imagine even operations in general terms can fall under it once you go into TTP's and what not.

Just because the news of the raid made the news hours after it happened, doesn't mean it still isn't classified and anybody who signed a NDA isn't still bound by it.

I was told by the VA, as well as DFAS, that I would be able to keep Tricare if I kept up with the payments. Unfortunately the payments were well beyond my ability to pay. If I remember correctly it was north of $500 a month.

I was medically discharged so it could have been a special benefit for those who were medically discharged. I kept my medical coverage for 6 months after exit at no cost to me because of the medical discharge. After that I could he kept Tricare if I paid the premiums. I know anyone exiting the service can keep Tricare for 18 months, and even up to 36 months, if they pay the premiums.

But that non disclosure agreement only covers classified information, not all information. Saying you shot OBL in the head is not classified nor is being a SEAL, nor is being the SEAL who shot OBL. Now how he got there and what he used could be classified but not admitting to killing OBL. I have read a lot of the stuff that has been said regarding this, as well as watching videos, and IMHO he is not disclosing classified information.

As far as I can remember the forms I signed were not called Non Disclosure Agreements. They did have to deal with OPSEC as well as the handling of classified information but nothing forbidding me from discussing military operations that were not classified. To me a Non Disclosure agreement is an agreement to not talk about anything but you cannot prevent someone from discussing things that are not classified.

Either way I do not believe he has violated anything and has not divulged any more classified information than Obama, Hillary and other members of our government have. They have discussed in detail operational details that this hero would have been thrown in jail for saying. And yes he is a hero, it takes a lot of guts to do what he did in killing OBL and even more to make his face and name public. He, and his family, will be targets for the rest of their lives because of this and that takes a lot of courage.