gouging 22's

We've talked about the guys that go to Walmart and buy up the 22's for normal price and sell them for 400-500% profit. I stopped in at the new Bud's in Sevierville last weekend. The sign on the door said that they have 22's $10/50. We ding the guys on Armslist for doing this. Why don't we boycott gunshops that are doing it. Armslist drops the add. If gunstores stop being patronized they would have to straighten their act out. Now before you start getting on me about them being able to make a profit, If you feel that way stop complaining about the guys on places like armslist that are keeping the price of 22's up.

OK, I figure I'm about to get hammered, so FLAME ON!

• Like 2
I agree that is a little high. I was in there a month ago and they had 333 packs for ~30, which is higher than I wanted to pay, but I didn't consider it gouging. On the flip side, I picked a 150 round box of AE 5.56 for 60, which was 10-13 less than Bass Pro and Academy.

Imagine if we could see what retailers pay for normal goods, what would we do then, stop buying retail too?  There is a reason we the dumb public don't know what retailers pay.  We would all complain. 

I agree walk away,  but I do flag those on armslist for fun.

What is funny, I was at Bass Pro last night, many boxes of 22LR behind the counter at the gun rack.  I watched, many men walked up/down the ammo aisle, looking and then moving on.  Quite sure they were looking for 22LR, only if they had asked the counter help.  I watch for 20 min, 10 men or more. You could tell they weren't die hard gun folk, but it was funny. 

Edited by Runco

We've talked about the guys that go to Walmart and buy up the 22's for normal price and sell them for 400-500% profit. I stopped in at the new Bud's in Sevierville last weekend. The sign on the door said that they have 22's $10/50. We ding the guys on Armslist for doing this. Why don't we boycott gunshops that are doing it. Armslist drops the add. If gunstores stop being patronized they would have to straighten their act out. Now before you start getting on me about them being able to make a profit, If you feel that way stop complaining about the guys on places like armslist that are keeping the price of 22's up.

OK, I figure I'm about to get hammered, so FLAME ON!

Which one's were you looking at? I just picked up a few 100 round boxes of CCI's from Bud's for $10.99 per box.

Which one's were you looking at? I just picked up a few 100 round boxes of CCI's from Bud's for $10.99 per box.

Their prices must change daily, I was in there on friday and picked up 2 100 rd boxes of mini mags for 9.99 each. They did have something called cci "green label" in 100rd boxes for $16.99. Never heard of these, they must be plated in platinum or something.

Their prices must change daily, I was in there on friday and picked up 2 100 rd boxes of mini mags for 9.99 each. They did have something called cci "green label" in 100rd boxes for $16.99. Never heard of these, they must be plated in platinum or something.

I think you were looking at "Green tag". That's CCI's target ammo. It's always been higher.

If I could figure out how to place a picture here I'd show you the picture I took of the front door.

Edited by Ray Z

IMO that's a great price for the green box CCI's. They're $20 + tax at my local Walmart & $24 + tax at my local gun shop.

.....What is funny, I was at Bass Pro last night, many boxes of 22LR behind the counter at the gun rack.  I watched, many men walked up/down the ammo aisle, looking and then moving on.  Quite sure they were looking for 22LR, only if they had asked the counter help.  I watch for 20 min, 10 men or more. You could tell they weren't die hard gun folk, but it was funny. 

The last time I asked if they had any 22LR at Bass Pro I was told no.  While purchasing a rifle a few minutes later, I asked a different salesperson when they would have any 22 and was asked how much I wanted. They seemed to have plenty in the back when they choose to sell it.

Edited by tnhawk

The last time I asked if they had any 22LR at Bass Pro I was told no.  While purchasing a rifle a few minutes later, I asked a different salesperson when they would have any 22 and was asked how much I wanted. They seemed to have plenty in the back when they choose to sell it.

They put it out on wednesday here. But either the employees, ( off the clock ) or their friends are waiting in line for it. (Kodak BassPro)

Jefferson City walmart has employees that don't shoot, buying it (off the clock) when its set out. Also the standard line of 5-10 old guys there too. 

Buds in Sevierville is gouging. I noticed they had tons of .22,,,, 3 weeks after their grand opening , may still have leftovers today. Every employee seems to agree they are gouging as well. One or two seem to get offended when you walk away from the goug price. 

Edited by Tncobra

Looks like it might be time to accept that it's not "gouging" anymore, but simply the new price point of .22lr. Of course most of the insanely high gun show pricing are exceptions to the norm. Like others have said, if guys quit buying it at such a frenzied pace maybe the price will come down, but probably not by much. I'd get use to paying what you're paying now because there's really no reason for the prices to ever go back down to where they used to be. Everything, from gas, to food, to ammo will always get more expensive. It really sucks, but will never change.

As much as it pains me to say this, I've become the old guy complaining about how I used to be such and such item way back when. I used to work for a guy like this in my early 30's and that's about all he did when I was in his employ.

Sadly, prices and times do change. Food and fuel costs seem to be in a never ending upward spiral. About everything that we buy or use has increased in the past few years/decades.

Not happy about it, but it is an immutable fact of life.

In reference to the 22 market...the norm is and has changed. With rare exceptions, the 2/3 cent per round 22 is gone.

From what I see, 5 to 7 cents a round is getting to be a good sale price. The new "norm" is rapidly closing in on 10 cents per round, with the specialty and target stuff getting closer to 9mm costs.

Do I like it? No. Do I have to accept it if I want to enjoy my hobby? Yes.

At least as long as I'm physically and fiscally able.

Edited by hipower

Not so much a fact of life as a fact of government printing up money. More money around, the more of it you need to exchange for goods & services.

The rule of thumb that I've used in my lifetime is prices double about every 10 years. That's been accelerating recently though. Honest estimates of inflation are up near 10%.

• Like 1

Not really sure why we care what happens on Armslist.

The gouging leads to the belief that the shortage is still going on. So normal human nature is to get them while they can. So they buy too much. So supply doesn't have a chance to catch up with demand. The few make out while the many have to pay the bill. The few will be remembered. I would rather purchase from Midway or Midsouth than patronize these guys in the future. BTW, I still won't buy anything Colt. I remember what they did in the Clinton era.

Edited by Ray Z