So I am starting to get pissed

I'd never promote vandalism. Just being totally sarcastic, humorous non injuring retaliation visuals can be funny,Albeit, I have seen some folks that really needed easier access get denied use of that helpful space by the lazy,liars and self entitled crowd.

I'll bet you don't say a word, however, when you see a patrol car parked in a handicap spot.

This thread has hit a major pet peeve of mine. My wife and my father were both handicapped and people who illegally use Handicapped spaces piss me off no end.  :rant:

In most counties you can just go to the County Clerk's Office when you need to renew your handicapped placard. Not in Shelby Co. Here you have to mail in the renewal to Nashville. The reason? Well about 10 years or so ago somebody noticed that Shelby Co (memphis) issued an extraordinarily large number of handicapped placards. So the state did an investigation. It turned out that at this particular office, anybody with a "friend" or $50 cash could easily get a placard. It was so bad they just fired everybody and closed the office. 

Its been four years since we needed to renew, so I'm not sure if they ever reopened it or not.

Back in 2009 I had knee surgery. I was cooped up in the house and about to go bat poop crazy because of it. About the time I was able to hobble around a bit on a cane, I noticed that we needed a few things from the grocery store and hit upon a brilliant idea. My wife was out with a friend, so I'd just take her car, park in a handicapped space and use the little motorized buggy in the store. Seemed like a good idea at the time.  :shake:

Just my luck, no open handicapped spaces. I ended up parking way back in the south 40. Every step towards the door hurt more and more. As I passed the handicapped spaces I noticed a small car in one of them that looked out of place. If you've ever dealt with the handicapped, you know that they don't drive small cars. Too hard to get in and out of. Sure enough, no placard or plate. 

By the time I made it into the store I was sweating from the pain. I made my way to the customer service desk, reported the illegal parker and asked the lady if she would be kind enough to call the police.

As I left the store, I saw a rather trashy looking woman placing cases of beer into the trunk of that car. As I drove by on my way out, I passed her just in time to see her discover the ticket on the windshield. That just made my day!  :clap:

A note on judging by appearances: my wife was sick for seven years. Aside from the fact thet she couldn't walk 50 feet without being completely out of breath, one of the side effects of all the crap they pumped into her was a massive weight gain. She was only able to shop in stores that had the motorized buggys. Yet everywhere we went, you would see some people give her a dirty look because they thought she was another fat cow too lazy to walk.

Don't be so quick to judge.

Finally, I want to tell you about my Father. When I was 16, he lost his right leg due to on going complications from wounds he recieved in WW II. he actually learned to get around quite well on his artificial leg.  He had a Disabled Veteran license plate, yet very rarely, if ever, parked in a handicapped spot. I asked him one day why he never parked there? He just looked at me and said "Son, there are people who need those." 

• Like 1
Guest Broomhead

Someone who doesn't understand what 911 is for obviously. Illegal parking hardly constitutes a life or death emergency.

862-8600 will get them out pretty dang quick depending on what you report. I'm not telling you to lie or stretch the truth. It's just all in how you report it and what details you include.

I'll bet you don't say a word, however, when you see a patrol car parked in a handicap spot.

If a guy parks in a h spot in the course of official business no.not my responsibility,If it doesn't need to be there yes. It's wrong to hinder someone's ability to use something that helps them live a little easier.
  • Like 1

Ok, Most folks here know about my conditions from back when I got smashed by that truck. Since then I have been able to function almost normally until 1990 when they implanted that mesh inside me and even then I was still able to walk relatively pain free. It has only been in the past 8 or so years that walking and standng has become more and more an issue. I have gone to  doctors in the sports medicine programs and they have all said the same thing. They said over time as I aged the 4 vertebra's that are fused together in my back from that truck are what is causing the pain in my pelvic area. I can walk about 25 feet before the pain and burning begins in my pelvic area and gets worst with each step.

The strange thing I did notice after I began paying attention to times I could walk really well with no pain was a very simple thing. If I was hurting by the time I entered a store and was able to get my hands on a cart with in a few minutes the pain was gone and I could walk around that store for an hour or more pain free. That was when I began testing new ideas. I began not using the handicap spaces but would park as close as possible to one of the cart slots. I would get out of my jeep and and grab an empty cart and push it to the store with no pain and shop with no pain.

On rainy days I would use an umbrella of rain coat and still used the cart. Once I discovered this I seldom if every use a HC space. I figure there are many real handicap people these days with all of our vets coming home wounded that need them. My situation may change in the future but for now it's me and a cart. I did ask the doctor about this and he told me that it was the positioning of my arms on the cart that most likely took just enough pressure off my back to make it work.

I was out just before Christmas with my daughter and we stopped at Krogers and guess who I saw. He was not on his motorcycle but in a unmarked and yep, he was handing out Christmas presents to unsuspecting illegal parking in HC folks. He spend about 4 hours at Kroger and then goes up to Walmart and begins again. Gotta love a dedicated Police Officer................... :up: 

If a guy parks in a h spot in the course of official business no.not my responsibility,If it doesn't need to be there yes. It's wrong to hinder someone's ability to use something that helps them live a little easier.

But why would they have to park in a handicap spot to begin with?  If it isn't an emergency, why couldn't they just park in the regular spots that are open?

But why would they have to park in a handicap spot to begin with?  If it isn't an emergency, why couldn't they just park in the regular spots that are open?

Good point!!  Even if they are there on official business such as a call from the manager for maybe a shoplifter I don't see why they would not park in emergency lane in front of store rather than take up a HC parking space.................jmho

But why would they have to park in a handicap spot to begin with? If it isn't an emergency, why couldn't they just park in the regular spots that are open?

Because it's right in front of the entrance to the location where someone called in with a emergency that requires immediate response. That usually doesn't happen unless it's a Walgreens or cvs type store going through a robbery etc....not very store has hp spots in front.
Of course it could be part of the harassment process as shown in another thread ;)

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/84389-%22All-cops-ever-do-is-harrass-innocent-people%22/page__view__findpost__p__1222745 Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1

Because it's right in front of the entrance to the location where someone called in with a emergency that requires immediate response. That usually doesn't happen unless it's a Walgreens or cvs type store going through a robbery etc....not very store has hp spots in front.
Of course it could be part of the harassment process as shown in another thread ;)

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/84389-%22All-cops-ever-do-is-harrass-innocent-people%22/page__view__findpost__p__1222745

If I am not mistaken every retail store or outlet is required by Federal law to have a set amount of HC spaces in front of or very near to entrances and have to have a handicap access to enter the place of business.

http://www.smallbusiness.chron.com/laws-regarding-handicap-parking-businesses-381.html

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/84389-%22All-cops-ever-do-is-harrass-innocent-people%22/page__view__findpost__p__1222745

Emergency situations I get, but it's not a situation of immediate response every time a cop goes to a place of business.  Often it's just a routine call, courtesy patrol or them coming to take a statement after something happens.  You mentioned official business being okay for them to use the HP spot.  Official business covers a lot of daily activity and more often than not I'd wager, there isn't a time sensitive need for them to be in the HP spot.

Not saying all cops do this, in fact, I can only recall seeing a cruizer in a HP spot a few times, but wrong is wrong no matter how often it occurs.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

862-8600 will get them out pretty dang quick depending on what you report. I'm not telling you to lie or stretch the truth. It's just all in how you report it and what details you include.

That works great if you are in Metro Nashville.  Everyone should have the number to the local police and sheriffs departments of any town that they frequent in their cell phone.  I'd say I've made more calls to the non emergency numbers than 911.  By all means I have no issue and encourage people to call a non emergency number to report things like this.  I just hate to think that someone could die because 911 was clogged up with an illegal parking call and couldn't deal with a "someone is dying call."  By all means tell dispatch when you call that you think that it's a rolling meth lab.  That should get them there quickly.

Recently, out of pure curiosity, I took a manual clicker counter with us on a trip to Sam's Club (45 minute drive)  Every time we passed a vehicle with a handicap placard in the windshield we clicked it.... by the time we got to our destination, the count was 122....   I know there are people out there that truly need them, but I find it hard to believe that 10-20% of all the people driving a vehicle need one....   But then again we live in a time when obesity, drinking, and drug abuse are considered "diseases".   If only people who abuse the system were properly punished....  and that goes for all programs in the system

That is not hard to believe, actually.   We have an aging population ... our health and lifespan is pretty good, tons of people in their 70s and 80s drive, and some older still.  A good % of those can get at least a rearview tag; most have some ailment or other that is sufficient.   Then you have war vets and athletes that got hurt.  Then you have car accident victims and other random acts of injury.  Before you even *get* to the self inflicted things (and again, many obese people have some medical problems that cause it, not all of course, but when you *cannot* exercise, and your drug regimen holds the pounds on, it can be hard to slim down) that is a significant # of people.   There are also a great many legit folks with temporary placards --- surgery or something and you can get a 3 month placard but cannot renew it. 

The majority of people are not 100% healthy 25 year olds.  

The problem is they give handicapped out in cracker jack boxes. To me handicapped is a disabled person ......like in a wheel chair

They really need to crack down on giving those out....its like the new age doctors who give out hard drugs like candy.

The problem is they give handicapped out in cracker jack boxes. To me handicapped is a disabled person ......like in a wheel chair

They really need to crack down on giving those out....its like the new age doctors who give out hard drugs like candy.

Yep, I also think that people other than a doctor should be able to provide input on my diagnosis.

I had a written letter to inform the license plate issuing office telling them of the seriousness of my need and they issued me a license plate and all I do is put the new stickers on it each year. If they wanted to crack down on the abuse quit giving out a plaque to everyone that walks in and asks for one and make them get metal license plates. That way they cannot move it from one vehicle to another because that is illegal for sure and they won't be able to move a plaque from one vehicle to another for a quick trip to the store like many people are doing.....................jmho

Everyone should have the number to the local police and sheriffs departments of any town that they frequent in their cell phone.  

Hmm, that gives me an idea for an app.

Though what might be good would be if the disabled signs had a number to report transgressors listed on them.

I had a written letter to inform the license plate issuing office telling them of the seriousness of my need and they issued me a license plate and all I do is put the new stickers on it each year. If they wanted to crack down on the abuse quit giving out a plaque to everyone that walks in and asks for one and make them get metal license plates. That way they cannot move it from one vehicle to another because that is illegal for sure and they won't be able to move a plaque from one vehicle to another for a quick trip to the store like many people are doing.....................jmho

But people are not permanently attached to the one vehicle. I know I might be using any of four different vehicles on any day (I am not disabled but I think it's valid for illustrative purposes).

For those who don't think there needs to be some back pressure on the placards being given out like candy though, you are the ones being disadavantaged when all the spots are filled up. Ideally, the honor system would be all we needed because it's pretty ####ty to be parking in those spaces if you don't need to but apparently, that isn't working these days. I mean, from my own personal situation, they could print them on the back of Walmart receipts and I'll just continue using the regular spaces. It's the people who really need it who are disadvantaged by too easy access.

There's little reason the placards couldn't have a picture of the registered holder printed on them these days though. That might not lead to many extra people getting caught for abuse but might act as something of a deterrent.

Edited by tnguy

But people are not permanently attached to the one vehicle. I know I might be using any of four different vehicles on any day (I am not disabled but I think it's valid for illustrative purposes).

For those who don't think there needs to be some back pressure on the placards being given out like candy though, you are the ones being disadavantaged when all the spots are filled up. Ideally, the honor system would be all we needed because it's pretty ####ty to be parking in those spaces if you don't need to but apparently, that isn't working these days. I mean, from my own personal situation, they could print them on the back of Walmart receipts and I'll just continue using the regular spaces. It's the people who really need it who are disadvantaged by too easy access.

There's little reason the placards couldn't have a picture of the registered holder printed on them these days though. That might not lead to many extra people getting caught for abuse but might act as something of a deterrent.

Quote      "But people are not permanently attached to the one vehicle. I know I might be using any of four different vehicles on any day (I am not disabled but I think it's valid for illustrative purposes).

I do see your point and the placards due have numbers on them and can be checked by officers to see who that particular plaque belongs to. If that person did not in the vehicle when it is parked in a handicap space the vehicle is illegally parked. I can accept the plaque being moved to another vehicle if the plaque the person is assigned to is in the new vehicle. It is the people that are just taking advantage of the plaque when the disabled or handicapped person is not riding in it that is annoying...............jmho

As Dolomite_supafly said. I'm a 100% disabled veteran. Yet if you saw me on public, 90%of the time it would never show. Yet on those "special" days, well you get the picture. And yes, I've even had a good "Christian" man get in my face in a public restaurant, thinking he was going to embarrass me. He got so close to my face, he never saw me put my hand on my concealed weapon. His son told him to back off, and only then did he understand what was happening

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

As Dolomite_supafly said. I'm a 100% disabled veteran. Yet if you saw me on public, 90%of the time it would never show. Yet on those "special" days, well you get the picture. And yes, I've even had a good "Christian" man get in my face in a public restaurant, thinking he was going to embarrass me. He got so close to my face, he never saw me put my hand on my concealed weapon. His son told him to back off, and only then did he understand what was happening

You should've reached out and shook his hand then said "you're welcome" and walked off.

• Like 2

I'm curious why you chose to use the word "Christian" as a derogatory term.

I once worked with a man who was supposedly 100% military disabled, yet he worked full time in our office. How does a disabled person still manage to work full time? He never could manage to tell me what his disability was, or how he received it from a desk job with the National Guard. :shrug:

I guess a lot of things aren't as clear cut as they seem.

Edited by gregintenn

I'm curious why you chose to use the word "Christian" as a derogatory term.

I once worked with a man who was supposedly 100%
military disabled, yet he worked full time in our office. How does a disabled person still manage to work full time? He never could manage to tell me what his disability was, or how he received it from a desk job with the National Guard. :shrug:

I guess a lot of things aren't as clear cut as they seem.

Received that the same way.

Also wondering what he was saying that made you feel drawing your weapon was a step away. But I guess thats one of those situations thats hard to describe unless you're in it.
You can still be 100% military disabled and work. Its not the same as diabilty from social security.

I'm 100% and still serve in the Reserve in a desk job. Not always after almost forty years. I have a placard and feel no need to explain myself to anybody.