So I am starting to get pissed

I have several friends that need those spaces. So it hits home, for me. I don't get into a big argument with the person that abuses the space. I just make the comment to them that " I see that your don't have a physical handicap, so it must be mental ". I get my point across.

• Like 4

Both of my parents are in their 80s. My Mom is legally blind and, under Florida law, qualifies for a handicap plate for the family car...my Dad drives. He is on the verge of being handicapped as it take him 10 minutes to walk across the living room.  When I lived there I would get extremely pissed when I saw a healthy person park in a HC spot. I would question them in public about their "need" to park where they had no right. I deduced, in many instances, that the driver's "handicap" was a mental one and told them so loudly. Twice in the Publix parking lot my diagnosis of them being a "mental cripple" (translate to effing idiot) resulted in the local constabulary producing a prescription for  $250.00....... so yes that really burns my biscuits!  Dolomite, start calling the cops on them...not to be a prick.... but to stand up for those that need those spaces...yourself included. You served us overseas and you deserve convenience and consideration! Thank you sir.  

EDIT: Ray Z beat me to it.....

Edited by ArmyBrat61
  • Like 2

One of the local TV news in Nashville did a story a few years back about all the State employees that had HC placards so they could park for free on the meters in town. I remember one lady got out of her car and when the news crew confronted her about it, she ran in high heels all the way into her building to get away from them.

• Like 2

Let me start by saying I do not believe I am entitled to anything. I also recognize the fact there are some people way worse, as far as disabilities go, than me.

So what upsets me is those people who think that space with the blue and white wheelchair sign means it is for THEIR quick trip into the store. Now unless I am having a really bad day I have my wife park in a regular spot so those worse than me can use the handicapped spot. But when I am having a bad day, when every step I can avoid matters, I need to park close or just stay in the truck if can't. And honestly I would gladly walk the extra distance if I could without having issues.

At one point I would ask and EVERY time I have asked if they have a placard, as I stand there with my crutches, they act like I am the jerk and even cuss me out. Because of that I have quit even asking because the entitlement crowd apparently thinks they are entitled to the space I need from time to time.

I wish there was something I could do to the jerks. I was told if I parked behind them and block them in I could get in trouble. Not to mention the person would probably loose their mind. I just wish people would understand that to some of us that extra 50' makes a difference, especially those with breathing problems. Fortunately I do not have breathing problems but some do and have to stop constantly to catch their breath.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I have the same pet peeve. I confronted a guy one day about it and he cussed me out as well. we both went in the store and went about our day. When I came out the cops were all around his car. I thought that they nailed that guy for parking in the handicap spot then I saw him in cuffs and he was screaming to the cops that I did it. I was not sure what was going on and one of the officers called me over. I went over and found out someone had keyed his car, I laughed and told them no but he deserved it. I asked why he was cuffed, apparently he called saying he was being attacked and when the police got there he got loud and ended up hitting an officer. When I left he had been charged with assaulting an officer, false reporting of a crime, no license, no insurance, expired tags,  and got a max fine for parking in a handicap spot. I left that parking lot with a smile on my face.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 9
Respect is lost on people. I'm not saying that myself being the sweet innocent Choir boy I am would do anything, but I know a.... friend who has a habit of removing valve cores from tires on vehicles without a tag or placard in HC spots. No permanent damage, but I bet its a lot more time consuming trying to figure out how to refill that flat tire than that 50' walk you saved yourself by thinking you were entitled and parking there.
  • Like 7
I would love to see someone make a crutch w a piece of rebar in it. Then take that crutch and launch it thorough the side window of an illegaly parked car in a h spot.
For someone feigning the need for a placard, they should be issued a plate that says liar on it w a picture of a phallic organ in the background...

A word of caution though. Just because someone doesn't look like they are not handicapped does not mean they are not. There are people who have breathing disorders who appear as normal as anyone until they have an attack. And honestly if I am having a good day I might walk in the gas station without my crutches because I hate them. Without my crutches I look just fine, other than I walk like a pimp, but what they do not see is on my bad days I spend 22+ hours curled up in bed. And it literally can come on from a bump in the road, stepping wrong or picking up something I didn't think would hurt and then I am absolutely miserable. For me every day, and night, is a struggle and without my wife I am not sure what I would do. She does so much for me on a day to day basis that without her the life I live now would be impossible.

Again, I would caution against automatically assuming someone is not disabled.

• Like 9

A word of caution though. Just because someone doesn't look like they are not handicapped does not mean they are not. There are people who have breathing disorders who appear as normal as anyone until they have an attack. And honestly if I am having a good day I might walk in the gas station without my crutches because I hate them. Without my crutches I look just fine, other than I walk like a pimp, but what they do not see is on my bad days I spend 22+ hours curled up in bed. And it literally can come on from a bump in the road, stepping wrong or picking up something I didn't think would hurt and then I am absolutely miserable. For me every day, and night, is a struggle and without my wife I am not sure what I would do. She does so much for me on a day to day basis that without her the life I live now would be impossible.

This is absolutely true. I do not have a placard and do not want one but could easily get one. I have a neurological disorder similar to MS. I walk normally and look normal but can only walk short distances as I tire very quickly from my Myasthenia Gravis. It weakens my lungs to the point that my body can not get enough oxygen to operate. I am sure many other people have similar problems. When I get a little older I may have to use a placard but for now I will leave the space for someone who really needs it.

Edited by Eray

I have several friends that need those spaces. So it hits home, for me. I don't get into a big argument with the person that abuses the space. I just make the comment to them that " I see that your don't have a physical handicap, so it must be mental ". I get my point across.

That's not too cool, because people like me that had to learn how to walk again, may still have trouble, it's just after being in so much pain for multiple years you can hide it a bit better.  See me walking into a store and you may see a light limp, but 5 minutes later I may be pushing an empty cart just to have something to make it back to the truck.

• Like 3

What bugs me is people who are not disabled using a placard. I have an older lady neighbor who gets up at six every morning to walk six miles for her exercise. When she goes to the grocery store, she  always pulls out the placard and parks in a handicapped spot. Another older lady uses her deceased aunt's expired placard and always parks in a handicap spot. Then I see some trully handicapped person park a van on the far end of the parking lot to unload their wheelchair. Who said life was fair.

while you know those people personally and can say, you can't always judge how handicapped someone is.  We have one for the wife's ms.  Some days, she can walk almost like a normal person, but *every* day she fights fatigue.  Like dolomite said, every step matters... if she over-does it at the store, she is done for the day for anything else, even when she looks to be walking normally.   A wheelchair is not the only way to be "truly" handicapped.

• Like 1

A word of caution though. Just because someone doesn't look like they are not handicapped does not mean they are not. There are people who have breathing disorders who appear as normal as anyone until they have an attack. And honestly if I am having a good day I might walk in the gas station without my crutches because I hate them. Without my crutches I look just fine, other than I walk like a pimp, but what they do not see is on my bad days I spend 22+ hours curled up in bed. And it literally can come on from a bump in the road, stepping wrong or picking up something I didn't think would hurt and then I am absolutely miserable. For me every day, and night, is a struggle and without my wife I am not sure what I would do. She does so much for me on a day to day basis that without her the life I live now would be impossible.

i hear ya, someone from channel 5 did a story on people that get placards just to get prime parking in nashville. it was easy to get the blue card while some were trying to get over as they demonstrated.always someone w angle....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, Hell yeah it ate my spelling!!! again!!

Another thing is that about 90% of placards are illegal do to the fact they are outdated. The person has a broken leg gets a limited placard. and then uses it forever.   I was at turkey creek a while back and a man pulled in beside me at the movie lot.  No tag or placard and i said excuse me do you know thats a $ 100.00 fine.  He looked at his lady and back at me and said so who gives a F**K.  and walked in the theater.  Well when the movie was over he was standing by his car bitchin.....he had a ticket in his hand.

Gee I wonder who called 911.......... :rofl:

Edited by Ron_TN
  • Like 3

Recently, out of pure curiosity, I took a manual clicker counter with us on a trip to Sam's Club (45 minute drive)  Every time we passed a vehicle with a handicap placard in the windshield we clicked it.... by the time we got to our destination, the count was 122....   I know there are people out there that truly need them, but I find it hard to believe that 10-20% of all the people driving a vehicle need one....   But then again we live in a time when obesity, drinking, and drug abuse are considered "diseases".   If only people who abuse the system were properly punished....  and that goes for all programs in the system

Personally I wish they would make those that get caught parking without a permit stand at the space for a day to ensure anyone who parks there has a permit. I bet it would be a perpetual thing as the person watching it will likely catch enough people to last a week or two.

I was looking for a picture I took of our local cops who park in the handicap spot. I can see how they think it is their spot though because it is marked by a man in blue.

• Like 2
My b-i-l has a placard. If you saw him, slightly overweight but seemingly able bodied. Wave your portable scanner and discover a genetic heart disease. I am sure he is classified as "one of those people"

It's the selfish entitlement mentality, the handicapped can wait or walk- I'll only be a few minutes, there are plenty of spots, it's raining cold or too far to walk.

G - call the cops. They love revenue and harassing folks.

For me, so what if I have to park extra spaces away...I am able bodied and won't melt in the rain.
  • Administrator

At one point I would ask and EVERY time I have asked if they have a placard, as I stand there with my crutches, they act like I am the jerk and even cuss me out. Because of that I have quit even asking because the entitlement crowd apparently thinks they are entitled to the space I need from time to time.

I wish there was something I could do to the jerks. I was told if I parked behind them and block them in I could get in trouble. Not to mention the person would probably loose their mind. I just wish people would understand that to some of us that extra 50' makes a difference, especially those with breathing problems. Fortunately I do not have breathing problems but some do and have to stop constantly to catch their breath.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Call the police.  Have "vehicle problems" behind them until the police get there.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I would love to see someone make a crutch w a piece of rebar in it. Then take that crutch and launch it thorough the side window of an illegaly parked car in a h spot.
For someone feigning the need for a placard, they should be issued a plate that says liar on it w a picture of a phallic organ in the background...

So you're advocating vandalism???

And you have a police badge in your profile???

Wow.

• Like 1
Guest Broomhead
I'm one of those that look perfectly normal, and I can even walk normal for a short distance. However, my low back is jacked up and I start limping and hunching over as the pain sets in. I'm nowhere near as bad as Dolomite, but on my bad days, that license plate is a misery saver, it saves me from a lot of pain. I have called the cops on someone parked in an HC illegally. The cops came and asked them if they had a placard, and they belligerently said that they had one just not with them. The cop told them sternly that they had to have it with them and displayed. He told him to either move to the furthest spot or he'd be glad to write a ticket.

Another thing is that about 90% of placards are illegal do to the fact they are outdated. The person has a broken leg gets a limited placard. and then uses it forever.   I was at turkey creek a while back and a man pulled in beside me at the movie lot.  No tag or placard and i said excuse me do you know thats a $ 100.00 fine.  He looked at his lady and back at me and said so who gives a F**K.  and walked in the theater.  Well when the movie was over he was standing by his car bitchin.....he had a ticket in his hand.

Gee I wonder who called 911.......... :rofl:

Someone who doesn't understand what 911 is for obviously.  Illegal parking hardly constitutes a life or death emergency.

Edited by 10-Ring

At work, the parking situation is horrible. A lot of people park there, and even though the lot is huge, it fills up fast. If you get there late, the only open spots are probably a 1/4 mile from where you have to enter at, so it's a long walk, and even longer if it's raining. For some reason, there is an inordinate amount of handicap spots right outside the entrance. To me it looks like there are about 5 times the amount of HC spots for a lot of this size. I'm always amazed that nearly every one of those spaces are filled up. I just can't imagine there are that many handicapped folks at work.

One day I noticed a friend's car parked in one of the HC spots. His wife had a brain aneurysm years ago, and even though she had a bit of memory loss, and couldn't do her job anymore, she gets around fine. She does qualify for the HC sticker, so good for her. He however, is perfectly healthy, and she does not come to work with him. I questioned him about it that day I saw him park there, and he said he was in a hurry to respond to an emergency and didn't want to have to take the time to park way out. I gave him grief over it, but he just blew it off. After that I started looking, and I would see his car there more often than not. 

So you're advocating vandalism???

And you have a police badge in your profile???

Wow.

I'd never promote vandalism. Just being totally sarcastic, humorous non injuring retaliation visuals can be funny,Albeit, I have seen some folks that really needed easier access get denied use of that helpful space by the lazy,liars and self entitled crowd.