Help me price this

whiterx

I made an Adirondack rocker for my boss as a going away present.  After the presentation I had several people wanting me to make one for them.  Problem is that I'm not too sure of what to sell them for. 

I try to build these for the long haul.  After I make one and assemble it, I disassemble it and then apply 6 coats of marine varnish on the entire surface before I put it back together for a nice seal from the elements. 

A lot of the examples of these that I have seen are unfinished, single chairs that don't rock or have the cooler and cup holders that are anywhere between $200-$500.

I'm going to try to make around 6 of these this winter while I'm cooped up at home and sell them this spring.  I plan on selling them around $750 but I would love to hear what you think is a fair price is. 

Thanks in advance for the input and sorry for the bad pictures. 

chair.jpg

chair1.jpg

chair3.jpg

chair2.jpg

Edited by whiterx
  • Like 2
Very nice! I'd say folks are getting a great deal at $750, but be prepared for lots of insultingly low offers.

Although maybe not... Depends on where and how your selling them I guess. Most of the people in my parents neck of brentwood for example wouldn't bat an eye. The yes see the value right off as in they want it, no assembly required, made well. I would think Nashville Craigslist would offer some good leads, and some low balls. Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

For me, the price will depend a lot on what wood it is.  What are you using for the wood?  It will also depend on where you plan to sell these.  Your audience is going to dictate what you can sell them for.  Plan to put them on Craigslist and I don't think you will get a lot of interest at $750.  I do a lot of wood working an have thought about selling some things as well, but in the end I find that I couldn't get a price I would want based on the amount of time I put into it.  Or maybe I should say, I don't want to put in that much more time to find the right audience to simply make $20 an hour or less.  If you have a good location to sell them, then you may sell them as fast as you can make them.    

Great looking Chairs

I do a lot of wood working, it surprises me at the people that ask you to build something for them but they do not want to pay for it.
http://s840.photobucket.com/user/ernursebjb/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9c5b7332.jpg.html?o=2
Made this for my boss's son. After agreeing on a design AND price he tried to get me to take a lot less then agreed. And I only asked $75 for it.

Your price is good stand firm and remember " they don't eat anything" Edited by BJB
  • Like 1

For work I have taught purchasing professionals that there is a difference between a market based driven price vs. a cost driven price.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I prefer cost driven.

Unless you plan to go into the business, I would recommend a cost based approach.  Cost of the wood, fasteners, surface treatment, and your time.  Keep it simple. 

• Like 1

That is a very nice piece you have there and no doubt a quality one as well.  I think that you audience is really important.  A lot of people are going to have sticker shock at $750, but that's not to say that you are over priced.  A quick net search found me this piece http://www.hayneedle.com/product/hyrescountryhaventeakdoublebackswing.cfm, I think that yours is much nicer.  It really looks like a piece that could be handed down if taken care of, I know I'd be proud to have it on my front porch.

While yours is clearly nicer than the unfinished pieces I recently purchased from a guy in Winchester, I have a feeling $750 is going to be pushing it.

I paid $75 for the large chair, and $150 a piece for bench with attached table. That's 3 pieces for about half of what you'd be charging one. Then again, some people are willing to spend $2000-$3000 on a custom 1911, when they could buy 4 or 6 Glocks for the same money.

9609d2aa7079fbab145add44d4828964.jpg

9bf16501e6b69ce69be3da79fe68b34b.jpg

f4c2e7eea1032cd3e1fcd99ea4422c86.jpg
I

Edited by TripleDigitRide
I attempted a couple of the adjustable back chairs like this a couple of summers ago. The geometry alone was tough to pull off and they were just chairs, not a rocker. So, I commend you on the stringer/rocker work they look very sturdy.

I bet an outdoor furniture store in Brentwood or Franklin could easily get $1K for one of those, especially if it were hardwood instead of pine. Find a store like that and see if they do consignment on the first one and if it sells fast, they might be willing to buy from you and sell at a mark-up to their existing customers.
  • Like 3

I bet an outdoor furniture store in Brentwood or Franklin could easily get $1K for one of those, especially if it were hardwood instead of pine. Find a store like that and see if they do consignment on the first one and if it sells fast, they might be willing to buy from you and sell at a mark-up to their existing customers.

This is true. If that Mr. T's patio furniture store near One Hundred Oaks has stayed in business this long, they could probably sell these at a premium. If I were going that route, they would be one of the first places I'd contact. Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

Here's how I price a holster.

How many hours labor to produce it? =A

How much per hour do I value my labor? =B

How much did the materials cost? =C

(AB)+C=Price

If it won't sell for that, I may need to revisit the value of my labor.

If I'm beginning to get overwhelmed with orders, again, I'll revisit the value of my labor.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

I'll most likely drop the price down a little bit since I'll be selling these to people I work with (even though they can afford it!).  Ive never sold anything for a much of profit in the 8 years I've been doing this.  If I'm making stuff for other people its because I know them and its usually for an occasion.  Plus I enjoy almost every minute of it. 

For me to make one of these its runs around $250 in materials but I probably have around 30 hours (estimate) of work into one.  Applying the finish takes the longest since it can take up to 3 days to dry for one coat in the winter and each side gets no less than 4 coats. 

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!  I really appreciate it. 

I think $750 is a good deal with the finishing work you do. Looks like you did a great job, I'd actually like to have one myself.
Sad fact is though, that my wife found some cookie cutter ones from lowes we ended up spending close to $600 for :down:

my advice is to figure out the materials cost and time it takes.  Pay yourself for the time in some hourly wage that seems appropriate for it. 

Take that total and multiply by say 1.25 or so (your choice) ... feel free to pad it so ppl can counteroffer and you still come out well, but have your min price in mind.  And realize that ppl talk, so whatever price one guy gets it for, the others will know, if they know each other.

Quote them the price and take it as an "order" and quote a time to have it done & delivered.   They can take it or leave it. 

I would not build too many in advance.  People have NO respect for the cost of hand-made things, the time taken to build it, and will offer you like 250 for that as if you were walmart and the item were made by a machine from particle board  and assembled by the buyer...

oh, and aside, that is pretty awesome looking finished product!

Edited by Jonnin