A first for me

Howler

Light snow and a morning walk ends in a broken ankle. That's right, after 43 years and no broken bones I put three fractures in my ankle this morning. A plate and screws will be installed to repair the bones and tendon. I didn't take my phone so calling for help was a no go. My pride wouldn't let me crawl back up the hill so I walked the best I could. Every time I lifted my foot up it would turn 45 degrees and I couldn't move it back where it belonged. By the time my boot was removed a softball had replaced my ankle. So be careful and keep them phones handy.
  • Like 1

Bad news indeed. I've fallen enough times to have lost count but every one of those falls hurt. In this recent icy, slush and snow mix I've been especially cautious as living in a more rural area a fall related injury could be fatal. The operative word is caution.  

My dad once dislocated his hip and had to lie in his yard for 4 hours until the neighbors came home; now he has one of those alert things.  On a related note, I tried out my YakTrax for the first time; I walked up by lightly-iced but steep hill without any problems.

My empathetic condolences.

Not as bad a result, but about year and a half ago took a nasty feet out from under splat onto keister due to a perfectly muddied sidewalk. Caught most the weight on left outstretched arm, which dislocated the elbow badly (elbow already had previous history of breaks/dislocation). That's hard on a geezer, but not nearly as hard as your injury.

Hoping you heal up quickly and well ...

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Light snow and a morning walk ends in a broken ankle. That's right, after 43 years and no broken bones I put three fractures in my ankle this morning. A plate and screws will be installed to repair the bones and tendon. I didn't take my phone so calling for help was a no go. My pride wouldn't let me crawl back up the hill so I walked the best I could. Every time I lifted my foot up it would turn 45 degrees and I couldn't move it back where it belonged. By the time my boot was removed a softball had replaced my ankle. So be careful and keep them phones handy.

I feel for you man, go ahead and take your pain med, don't let it get too sore before you do because it's harder to knock out. I have a plate and screws in my right fibula, if they don't do that sugery then when the ligiments tighten back it will pull the bones out of alignment and you would have future problems. I've also had bone fragments removed from my left ankle from rolling it over, I promise I know how you feel. Go to physical therapy also, don't skip that. They will make recovery alot faster.

• Like 1

I once broke my foot walking to the mailbox! Out of all the years of "highway surfing" as a teenager, jumping off bridges, skateboarding, etc. I never seem to break a bone doing something awesome.. It's only silly stuff. I feel your pain!

Broke my right fibula in 09 just walking down a slight hill after rain. My foot slipped and my ankle turned and the pressure snaped the fibule. Sounded like snapping a pencil. Didn't hurt real bad right away but I had a vertigo feeling and felt naseated for a minute or two. After that passed I started feeling some pain.

• Like 1
Had surgery at noon today. I'm in very little pain but having a hard time staying awake. The ER nurse said she's put on more splints in the last two weeks than in the last six months.

Thanks for all the "get wells." Like most, I should have broken bones while doing stupid stuff not just walking down the road.
  • Like 1