Baltimore in the hot seat now!!!!!

Who is going to pay for cleaning up the damage?  Who is going to pay for the destruction of property?  Who isn't going to try and sue the mess out of the city of Baltimore after the Mayor let's this go on?  Ultimately, the poor taxpayers are the ones that end up footing the bill.  The National Guard should have been called out a lot sooner to stop this type of nonsense.

Insurance is going to pay for it, because that's what insurance is for.  Lawsuits will get tossed out because the police don't have a requirement to protect, as was referenced in this thread earlier. 

As to a Guard callout...it's the National Guard, not the ready brigade from the 82nd Airborne Division.  You just can't pick up the phone and expect to see troops out on the street riki tik.  Getting them mobilized takes time.

I'll keep my thoughts on whether I agree with the speaker in the video to myself, but i don't think his kind of talk contributes anything to the solution to the problem, if that was indeed his goal. The comparisons he makes to monkeys and all the n words are just going to serve to infuriate those he condemns making him Uncle Tom, while simultaneously lending credence to the racist feelings already harbored by most of the white guys who I'm sure are "liking" the hell out of his post.
I think he could have spoken his truths and perhaps found some receptive ears in the black community if he would have left out the hateful racist bs.

I disagree, that is how many of them talk amongst each other. And coming from within may get some to get the message instead of just going on the defensive. I have learned that within any group, there are many who are fed up with the vocal minority making the entire group look bad. It's up to those within to bring about a change to their respective group, any outsiders will only bring agitation to the situation.

I disagree, that is how many of them talk amongst each other. And coming from within may get some to get the message instead of just going on the defensive. I have learned that within any group, there are many who are fed up with the vocal minority making the entire group look bad. It's up to those within to bring about a change to their respective group, any outsiders will only bring agitation to the situation.

Yep. He wasn't talking to any white folks. I'm guessing he drops all that crap when he does that.

You guys are hilarious. Resident experts on how many of them talk to one another. These threads always deliver.

Look here, cracka. I have worked around black radio stations for years, including the 3 top ones in your home town. What I'm sayin... just 'cause you in Memphis don't mean you got the market cornered on black. :)

• Like 2

Look here, cracka. I have worked around black radio stations for years, including the 3 top ones in your home town. What I'm sayin... just 'cause you in Memphis don't mean you got the market cornered on black. :)

You are correct. It appears that most of our members are experts on the subject. If only more people would listen to them.

Those who would divide and conquer have succeeded. Edited by LINKS2K

You are correct. It appears that most of our members are experts on the subject. If only more people would listen to them.

Those who would divide and conquer have succeeded.

Divide? That would be Obama and Co. I was lots closer to the black community before that piece of shit showed up. So maybe I'm not the expert I was.

• Moderators

Agreed about the time needed to mobilize, but I had my family in Baltimore preparing/planning for this for nearly a week now- ready for the shoe that we all knew was coming to drop. The Mayor and Governor and everyone else knew it was coming. There was time to mobilize, but I'm not saying I think the guard would/should be sent prior to a demonstrated need.

I cannot figure out what is taking their local government so damn long to finish crafting it's lie to explain what happened. What happened happened, but just choose a freakin story to tell your constituents and sell it. The baltimore mayor asking for patience and more patience while they investigated would be infuriating to me too. What the hell takes so long about getting the straight story about what happened from sworn officers of the law and then delivering that story to the community?

One impediment to getting the story is that as stipulated in the union contract, the officers have 10 days before they can be interviewed about the incident.

One impediment to getting the story is that as stipulated in the union contract, the officers have 10 days before they can be interviewed about the incident.

You're kidding. Where's this coming from, and is it all-inclusive of all incidents?

• Like 1

Ten days BEFORE they can be interviewed? Is that so they can get the storyline down pat? When we have an incident onboard ship we are interviewed within 24 hours so that what happened is still fresh/raw in our minds.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Correction, not union contract but state law gives the officer 10 days before having to answer questions.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/public-safety/title-3/subtitle-1/3-104/

Link is to law in its entirety, quoted section below is the pertinent subsection.

(j) Right to counsel.-

(1) (i) On request, the law enforcement officer under interrogation has the right to be represented by counsel or another responsible representative of the law enforcement officer's choice who shall be present and available for consultation at all times during the interrogation.

(ii) The law enforcement officer may waive the right described in subparagraph (i) of this paragraph.

(2) (i) The interrogation shall be suspended for a period not exceeding 10 days until representation is obtained.

(ii) Within that 10-day period, the chief for good cause shown may extend the period for obtaining representation.

Edited by Chucktshoes

Ten days? We had to submit Use of Force Reports and any required Internal Reports (which were also subject to Discovery Hearings) and all other Incident Reports before the end of shift. The rare exception being if you'd been injured in the incident and sent to the emergency room for treatment and were sent home afterwards. Of course come the next day that paperwork was expected and a prudent officer had filled it out to either be picked up by a supervisor or turned in the next day at work.   

• Like 1

OK, but what's the applicability of the statute? Does it apply only to Departmental interrogations done for suspected violations of Departmental policies not amounting to a criminal offense, or does it also apply to suspected criminal activities as well? If so, can it be invoked prior to an indictment, or only in response to same?

My key point is this:  Although the officer may be entitled to some protections surrounding interrogations, does he also have immunity from submitting required reports surrounding the incident within the time limits specified in Departmental regulations for submission of such reports? These reports are required to be complete and thorough accounts of everything that occurred during the incident, and are usually required to be in within a fairly short time like immediately for a summary, 48 hours to be completed. etc. etc  etc.

If the officer does not have immunity from timely reports submission, then the officers' complete written accounts of the incident will be in the hands of the Department posthaste and would not necessarily fall under the provisions of the labor contract since the release of arrest report information is usually dictated by law and a stringent set of Departmental rules regarding same. In this case, its release will fall under the purview of Departmental officials or the District Attorney. If the report is just a report of an investigation without an arrest, then the Department alone MAY have discretion in its release, but there are also time limits on these reports too.

What I'm getting at is that he may have ten days to submit to interrogation, but does he also have the same right to withhold submission of required police reports? I'd be very surprised if he does.

Chucktshoes, you post good, authoritative stuff, but we may be getting into some things so complex that a rule may not be fully understood until all the other related laws and regulations pertaining thereto are understood as well. That's the reason for my first question.

Edited by EssOne

(1) The law enforcement agency may order the law enforcement officer under investigation to submit to blood alcohol tests, blood, breath, or urine tests for controlled dangerous substances, polygraph examinations, or interrogations that specifically relate to the subject matter of the investigation.

(2) If the law enforcement agency orders the law enforcement officer to submit to a test, examination, or interrogation described in paragraph (1) of this subsection and the law enforcement officer refuses to do so, the law enforcement agency may commence an action that may lead to a punitive measure as a result of the refusal.

(3) If the law enforcement agency orders the law enforcement officer to submit to a test, examination, or interrogation described in paragraph (1) of this subsection, the results of the test, examination, or interrogation are n
ot admissible or discoverable in a criminal proceeding against the law enforcement officer.

If they force the issue they can't use it in criminal proceedings. A DA isn't going to do that.

EDIT: However, the Feds aren't bound by that law. Edited by DaveTN

If they force the issue they can't use it in criminal proceedings. A DA isn't going to do that.

EDIT: However, the Feds aren't bound by that law.

Thanks for digging, DaveTN. I thought it was a little more complicated than we might have supposed. I guess they have law schools for a reason. :pleased:

Edited by EssOne