Positive id Made today.

none

Ok so I made a positive id on a suspect today. Clearly the large holes on our property are being made by ground hogs. I was mowing today and watched him go across the field and right down its hole.

Aside from the obvious how do I get rid of them? Is there something I can put down to cause them to move on?

I always try not to harm animals but when we get livestock I don't want them to step in one of their holes and have issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Like 1

Ok so I made a positive id on a suspect today. Clearly the large holes on our property are being made by ground hogs. I was mowing today and watched him go across the field and right down its hole.

Aside from the obvious how do I get rid of them? Is there something I can put down to cause them to move on?

I always try not to harm animals but when we get livestock I don't want them to step in one of their holes and have issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Enough dynamite to destroyed a golf course seemed to work for Bill Murry :)

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1

They make these little 30-40 grain lead pills that seem to poison their blood quick and kill them dead.

Little buggers don't like to eat them though so you need to get pretty forceable about your deliver options.

• Like 2

They make these little 30-40 grain lead pills that seem to poison their blood quick and kill them dead.

Little buggers don't like to eat them though so you need to get pretty forceable about your deliver options.

If you do go that route, I'll mention they are quite tasty.

- OS

• Like 4

Gopher/groundhog, same damn thing. Get shot for digging holes in the wrong place. :)

Pain has the right answer.

You have to be a damn good shot to kill gophers. But even I can hit a whistle pig.

- OS

I set up a trap to catch one. So far I have trapped 4 feral cats. SPCA here in Bradley County isn't very user friendly either. I checked their website, says there are open 1-6 and for drop off 1-5. We get there with cats in tow to see the sign that stated due to Memorial Day on Monday we are closed Saturday. Now I have made a kennel to store said cats till they open back up Wednesday. So to make a short story long, try trapping. :)

Edited by buck1032

I have no clue.  Been down the road before.  Nothing worked.  I guess they moved on cause I don't have them anyore.  I tried pepper,  all kind of commercial stuff too.  You can't run enough water in the holes to drive them out.

If they came back I'd buy rat poison pellets,  it comes in trays.  Turns their guts to cement and they die.   It worked well with Chipmunks

Good Luck!.  

Ground hogs are some of the more tasty animals on this planet. They taste like a very nice beef roast when baked. They even take BBQ sauce well. They do not require any special handling either like some other "rodents". I like them a lot more than squirrels.

Not many ways to get rid of them other than shooting. But I would also say if you can live with it for the next 3-4 months I would because if it is a female it likely has young.

Do you have livestock that might break a leg from the holes?

• Like 1

It's not that difficult.   Just set a live trap.   They are tough little boogers.   Once in the trap,  they will dig and chew their darnedest to get out, to the point of their own bodily harm. 

I've always found a place to relocate the few that I had to deal with.

Cantalope makes a good bait for live traps. Make sure the trap is big enough for the ground hog to get all the way in because if the tail is hanging out they will just back out of the trap. I've tried the smoke bombs, moth balls ,didn't work, the only thing that works for me is death by bullets.I was also told pouring broken glass shards in their dens would cause them to move on because the glass would cut their feet, but have not tried that.Back in the early 60's , we would pour gasoline in fox dens and let the gas vapors settle down to the bottom and throw a torch in to set the gas fumes off, would cause quite an explosion, might work with ground hogs too.
We have a coyotes size trap? The one I saw yesterday was really big. That's why I didn't just shoot it. When ever I am out there I always have at least a 22. Now that we are getting things cleaned up I a finding a lot of things such as water snakes etc. I am not sure if it was fat or carrying young. So I may just set a live trap outside the whole that way no harm no fowl. And if is getting ready to have young it can do it at the recreation are down the road. Edited by wcd

If you don't move them far enough they may come back home. Some of them roam long distances while searching for food. We had them all over the Farm while I was growing up and like OS said. They are very tasting but point is taken that this time of year it make be a mother or soon to be mother. We always shot them in Fall........Good luck with your endeavor what ever route you choose to follow............ :up: :up:

250 grain pills at 1500fps is alot more fun. You can find them at the .454 or .45-70 store.  :)