Tennessee Annotated 55-8-143

People please!  Obey the law! 

Very aggravated week!  People just do not follow the law!  Old people, young people, people in the middle..........

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-55/chapter-8/55-8-143

55-8-143. Signals for turns.

(a)  Every driver who intends to start, stop or turn, or partly turn from a direct line, shall first see that that movement can be made in safety, and whenever the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by such movement, shall give a signal required in this section, plainly visible to the driver of the other vehicle of the intention to make such movement.

(b)  The signal required in this section shall be given by means of the hand and arm, or by some mechanical or electrical device approved by the department of safety, in the manner specified in this section. Whenever the signal is given by means of the hand and arm, the driver shall indicate the intention to start, stop, or turn, or partly turn, by extending the hand and arm from and beyond the left side of the vehicle, in the following manner:

(1)  For left turn, or to pull to the left, the arm shall be extended in a horizontal position straight from and level with the shoulder;

(2)  For right turn, or pull to the right, the arm shall be extended upward; and

(3)  For slowing down or to stop, the arm shall be extended downward.

(c)  These signals shall be given continuously for a distance of at least fifty feet (50¢) before stopping, turning, partly turning, or materially altering the course of the vehicle.

(d)  Drivers having once given a hand, electrical or mechanical device signal, must continue the course thus indicated, unless they alter the original signal and take care that drivers of vehicles and pedestrians have seen and are aware of the change.

(e)  Drivers receiving a signal from another driver shall keep their vehicles under complete control and shall be able to avoid an accident resulting from a misunderstanding of the signal.

(f)  Drivers of vehicles, standing or stopped at the curb or edge before moving these vehicles, shall give signals of their intention to move into traffic, as provided in this section, before turning in the direction the vehicle shall proceed from the curb.

People please!  Obey the law! 

Very aggravated week!  People just do not follow the law!  Old people, young people, people in the middle..........

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-55/chapter-8/55-8-143

55-8-143. Signals for turns.

(a)  Every driver who intends to start, stop or turn, or partly turn from a direct line, shall first see that that movement can be made in safety, and whenever the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by such movement, shall give a signal required in this section, plainly visible to the driver of the other vehicle of the intention to make such movement.
(b)  The signal required in this section shall be given by means of the hand and arm, or by some mechanical or electrical device approved by the department of safety, in the manner specified in this section. Whenever the signal is given by means of the hand and arm, the driver shall indicate the intention to start, stop, or turn, or partly turn, by extending the hand and arm from and beyond the left side of the vehicle, in the following manner:
     (1)  For left turn, or to pull to the left, the arm shall be extended in a horizontal position straight from and level with the shoulder;
     (2)  For right turn, or pull to the right, the arm shall be extended upward; and
     (3)  For slowing down or to stop, the arm shall be extended downward.
(c)  These signals shall be given continuously for a distance of at least fifty feet (50¢) before stopping, turning, partly turning, or materially altering the course of the vehicle.
(d)  Drivers having once given a hand, electrical or mechanical device signal, must continue the course thus indicated, unless they alter the original signal and take care that drivers of vehicles and pedestrians have seen and are aware of the change.
(e)  Drivers receiving a signal from another driver shall keep their vehicles under complete control and shall be able to avoid an accident resulting from a misunderstanding of the signal.
(f)  Drivers of vehicles, standing or stopped at the curb or edge before moving these vehicles, shall give signals of their intention to move into traffic, as provided in this section, before turning in the direction the vehicle shall proceed from the curb.

Next thing your going to want people to stop using the left turn lane for a lane of travel. Good luck with that.
  • Like 1

In 30 years of traffic law enforcement experience I formed the conclusion that the only thing the average American driver accomplishes by sitting behind the steering wheel is to keep someone from stealing the car when he stops at a stop sign. Aside from that he doesn't accomplish a whole heck of a lot, as you've apparently discovered.

If a guy will take that information to heart and realize that "illegal" to most drivers is a sick bird, he'll live longer.

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 1

In 30 years of traffic law enforcement experience I formed the conclusion that the only thing the average American driver accomplishes by sitting behind the steering wheel is to keep someone from stealing the car when he stops at a stop sign. Aside from that he doesn't accomplish a whole hell of a lot, as you've apparently discovered.

If a guy will take that information to heart and realize that illegal to most drivers is a sick bird, he'll live longer.

I'm frankly amazed that most folks don't have a wreck of some sort every 100 miles or so, ever more so daily as traffic increases across the country through the years.  I guess that's a mostly a testament to the autonomic reflex system of the humanoid and the superior mechanics of the machine.

As far as turn signals, now that I'm an official geezer and all, I guess I'm allowed to just keep one on all the time, right?

- OS

Left lane drivers obstructing traffic are my pet peeve. In the state I was in it was a violation and I wrote it many times. I believe people obstructing traffic cause more accidents than speeders.
It’s a violation in Tennessee also.

So...if you are stacking cars up behind you; move to the right, and use a turn signal as you get out of everyone’s way.

55-8-115(B ) Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Think how much friendlier and safer the world would be if people used common sense and courtesy while driving. biggrin.gif
  • Like 1

A personal driving tactic for me is to never let someone cross in front of me if they don't have a turn signal on.  While I'm not 100% in implementing this technique, I can proudly say I've caused more than my fair share of dickhead motorists to fall in behind me, or even better, miss their turn both in the city and more satisfyingly, on the highway. 

If I see a turn signal, I usually allow them to get in front of me.

I am thinking about getting a mini van so I can join the club of blatant disregard of basic driving principles and be empowered to drive it like an Indy car!

Is that with or without the "licensed to drive like an idiot" placard? (disabled placard or tag) Edited by EssOne
I feel that those that lack the will to drive as they were tested do so because they lack common curtesy and respect for others.

It's a direct reflection of our society, hence, we are in the toilet as a nation.

If I were in charge, I would advocate a penalty of a broken finger for not using turn signals :)

That's why I didn't get into law enforcement, I'd go rogue (just kidding)

To add to the minivan-I'd have a peace sticker and drive it like a stolen Indy car! Edited by Still Ugly

I read what the website that Google popped up first had to say. Im still in the dark about what this means. Can you shed some light on what the tca 55-9-407 means? I assume auxiliary lights are the amber parking lights? Or is it just high vs low beams on The headlights?

are you saying most people on the roads who drive like sh!t have handicap tags, or are you saying that most people with handicap tags drive like sh!t?
Because if you are, that's hilarious!

Edit: if I've misunderstood what EssOne was trying to say, then I want to strike my comment from the record and instead replace it with "some of my best friends are disabled".

I have had a placard for the past six years myself. Let's just say that when I see someone driving as if the rules of civility and courtesy didn't exist and they have a license to exercise two tons worth of rudeness on the hoof, I'm  never surprised to see a disabled placard or tag on the car.....around here anyway.

Edited by EssOne

In 30 years of traffic law enforcement experience I formed the conclusion that the only thing the average American driver accomplishes by sitting behind the steering wheel is to keep someone from stealing the car when he stops at a stop sign. Aside from that he doesn't accomplish a whole heck of a lot, as you've apparently discovered.

If a guy will take that information to heart and realize that "illegal" to most drivers is a sick bird, he'll live longer.

Two things that I have learned is that 99% of people completely suck at driving and that 100% of people believe they are part of the 1% that don't. 

I read what the website that Google popped up first had to say. Im still in the dark about what this means. Can you shed some light on what the tca 55-9-407 means? I assume auxiliary lights are the amber parking lights? Or is it just high vs low beams on The headlights?

Basically, if you can turn them off, you must turn them off within 500 feet of passing or overtaking another vehicle. You can have two points of white light on your vehicle, that's all.