uninsured motorist

I was driving home last night, doing the speed limit on 11W (4 lane). Light to no traffic. Saw headlights in my rear view and had just eniugh time to wonder wtf was he thinking when he rear ended me hard enough to give me a little flight time - which isn't normally exected in a jeep cherokee. He didn't even attempt to change lanes.
Ambulances arrived before the highway patrol and he got them to tkae him to the hospital. Told the ambulance crew he had no ID on him, and when they opened the doors at the hospital he ran, IV and all. Trooper told me the car he was driving has no plates.
My car is totalled. He hit me so hard it has a pleat amidships... Hoping USAA can tell me good things about their uninsured motorist coverage tomorrow.
The trooper thought he might have a line on the guy. If it is who het thought it was, then he was driving on a suspended license. Told me the guy might spend a couple of days in jail.
I spent a couple hours in the ER myself. The trooper was kind enough to retrieve my 1911 from the wreck, and wait until they released me to return it to me...
Glad you are ok and safe. And seems like a good start towards a resolution with the THPs help.

As far as the Uninsured Motorist and making a claim, all I can say is that in my one claim of this nature in 1978; I really had a long fight with my insurer to get everything settled.

Seemed like he/they wanted to do everything possible to avoid paying the claim. From multiple interviews about the accident to telling me I would have to sue the other driver myself.

It's a long, complicated and somewhat interesting story. One best suited for a tale over a couple of drinks.

But did get it resolved.

Hopefully you have a good rapport with your agent and a reputable company with him.
I don't have USAA, but the car I was driving was struck by a person's head. The police ruled it hus fault but he was an illegal. It was filed under uninsured motorist. I had to pay my deductible, but everything got repaired.

I was driving home last night, doing the speed limit on 11W (4 lane). Light to no traffic. Saw headlights in my rear view and had just eniugh time to wonder wtf was he thinking when he rear ended me hard enough to give me a little flight time - which isn't normally exected in a jeep cherokee. He didn't even attempt to change lanes.
Ambulances arrived before the highway patrol and he got them to tkae him to the hospital. Told the ambulance crew he had no ID on him, and when they opened the doors at the hospital he ran, IV and all. Trooper told me the car he was driving has no plates.
My car is totalled. He hit me so hard it has a pleat amidships... Hoping USAA can tell me good things about their uninsured motorist coverage tomorrow.
The trooper thought he might have a line on the guy. If it is who het thought it was, then he was driving on a suspended license. Told me the guy might spend a couple of days in jail.
I spent a couple hours in the ER myself. The trooper was kind enough to retrieve my 1911 from the wreck, and wait until they released me to return it to me...

Inquiring mind wants to know Did you ever find out what happened to dude that ran? Even though he had no plates there was a vin number

I've had several wrecks with uninsured motorists. Not all insurance companies will make you pay your deductible IF you have the other driver's information. I would highly recommend contacting an attorney and putting his arse UNDER the jail. Good luck and I hope you didn't get seriously hurt.

I bet that didn't end well for him.

He was trying to run across the street. It was raining. He tripped and fell head first into the side of my car about an inch from my wheel well. I think they were trying to deport him. I had witnesses fortunately. Even though it wasn't my fault, I was very glad they did. He didn't speak English and was bleeding profusely out of his head.

I would be surprised if USAA gave you any problems on the repair. As far as the idiot he was probably dumb enough to leave something either with his name on it or a relative's name on it in the car or told EMS something close to his real information. A few misdemeanors but if I had to guess he was probably on probation and looking at getting violated. Good luck on the repairs (yourself and the vehicle).

Every time I see an estimate from a body shop, it makes me think I'm in the wrong business. :-\

Years ago, a guy backed into my Saab (it was 15 years old).  The headlight/turn signal assembly and grill were broke and there was a dent in the corner of the hood.  His insurance company sent me to a body shop for an estimate.  They wanted $2300 :stunned:  His insurance said no and issued me a check.  Plenty of Saab's in junkyards so I fixed it myself for $150 in parts.

Bummed a ride to the towing yard today to get my personals out of my poor old jeep. They also towed the other guys car. Bear in mind I was doing 55 (the limit) when he hit me...

20150615_113354_zps29ab1c6e.jpg

Wow. So glad you're ok. That is scary looking. I'm surprised he could get up and run after that. Hopefully everything gets worked out for you quickly and smoothly.
Thwmtowing operator used to run a body shop... He said it would be a simple fix for my jeep. Just cut it in half right behind the drivers door and weld on a donor rear end. Not sure he was joking.... USAA is making encouraging noises; mostly waiting for the police report.