is this fixable?

fellow electronic and computer geeks i need your sage advice, i picked up a junked 27 inch mid 2011 apple imac from the junk pile at work, tried to turn it on and it didnt come on, no fans, no diagnostic led's nothing, so i thought power supply and that it would be a easy fix and i would have my self a nice imac,

well i bought one and put it in and got nothing crap i thought must be the logic board or something, i figured i would either sell it on ebay or trade it to my friend for a rifle or something, well today i was looking at it seeing if maybe a cable was damaged or something when i saw this in the pic below,

my question is, can this be repaired with a new part soldered in or do i need to replace the whole board?

[URL=http://s29.photobucket.com/user/luke9511/media/2015-06-20%2018.51.59.jpg.html]2015-06-20%2018.51.59.jpg[/URL]

Looks pretty fried. I'm no expert but I do know that when something fries like that it's likely that other parts have been overheated and close to going too. My guess is that it's no good and should be replaced.

I've seen alot of fried boards on HVAC units when I was in HVAC service, always replace them. If there's one component burned, there's probably more damaged that you don't see. Besides, one has to be a pretty skilled expert to begine to repair the delicate circuitry on a board.

No one can say.   Ill say this ... parts that small is hard to work with...  but you might find that you can fix it for $4 bucks and one chip.  Or you might spend 10 hours on it and discover it still does not work.   Nothing ventured...    sometimes, it works, sometimes, it does not.   Most of the time, it does not.

No one can say.   Ill say this ... parts that small is hard to work with...  but you might find that you can fix it for $4 bucks and one chip.  Or you might spend 10 hours on it and discover it still does not work.   Nothing ventured...    sometimes, it works, sometimes, it does not.   Most of the time, it does not.

i got it for free

Is this the driver board for the Monitor? Maybe you can find an iMac that has a busted screen that you can swap over. As far as repairing the board, very few consumer electronics items have been built in the last 20 years that have boards that can be repaired as a rule. It;s just how they have been built for a long time.

Good luck.

i got it for free

I am not sure what that has to do with my comment?  You can still venture a few bucks and try to hand-replace the part ... and it may or may not work ...  but the parts are tiny and hard to get in correctly and even then, as already said, you got a fair chance of something else being fried that you can't even see.   I would be generous and say you got about a 10% chance of it working if you fix the obviously fried part.   But 10% chance is pretty good, given the price of a working board..

you just never know.  Wife handed me her guitar tuner with caked on leaked batter corrosion.   Took me about 3 hours but it worked after I cleaned it up.   One of my monitors died, and I busted it open and fooled with it and got it going again, it lasted 2 more years.  I won't mention the dozen+ failures though...  don't hurt anything to try, if it already does not work.  Those little parts are usually cheap.

Edited by Jonnin

I am not sure what that has to do with my comment?  You can still venture a few bucks and try to hand-replace the part ... and it may or may not work ...  but the parts are tiny and hard to get in correctly and even then, as already said, you got a fair chance of something else being fried that you can't even see.   I would be generous and say you got about a 10% chance of it working if you fix the obviously fried part.   But 10% chance is pretty good, given the price of a working board..

yeah there was more to it but chrome glitched out but i aint worried about it the board is fried and i would be better buying a new one than spending almost 500 dollars trying to fix this one

my question is, can this be repaired with a new part soldered in or do i need to replace the whole board?

Depends. Is that the Motherboard? Something in that area fried; there was a lot of heat. Do you have any testing tools and a soldering station?

The reason people don’t trouble shoot at the board level anymore is that it takes too long. But if you are doing it for yourself; that isn’t a concern.

As long as those are off the shelf components on the board you might be able to do it, but if they are Apple proprietary parts; you are hosed.

I’m certainly no electronics repair tech, but last week my 65” TV would not come back on after a power outage. No big deal, it was 12 years old and ready for replacement.

As I was shopping on-line for new TV’s my wife asks “Do you have a soldering station?” I said yes. Can you replace components on a circuit board? I said “If I know what they are; yes”.

She found a YouTube video of the exact problem our TV had, it required the replacement of 7 capacitors on a board that I don’t even know (and didn’t care) what it did. I couldn’t find anyone that carried capacitors locally so I ordered the capacitors off Amazon. $7 for a bag of 20.

I am no TV repairman and don’t play one on TV, but it worked. So maybe you could find an Apple or Mac forum (or maybe here) and see if anyone can ID what’s in that area and give you some direction.

Depends. Is that the Motherboard? Something in that area fried; there was a lot of heat. Do you have any testing tools and a soldering station?

The reason people don’t trouble shoot at the board level anymore is that it takes too long. But if you are doing it for yourself; that isn’t a concern.

As long as those are off the shelf components on the board you might be able to do it, but if they are Apple proprietary parts; you are hosed.

I’m certainly no electronics repair tech, but last week my 65” TV would not come back on after a power outage. No big deal, it was 12 years old and ready for replacement.

As I was shopping on-line for new TV’s my wife asks “Do you have a soldering station?” I said yes. Can you replace components on a circuit board? I said “If I know what they are; yes”.

She found a YouTube video of the exact problem our TV had, it required the replacement of 7 capacitors on a board that I don’t even know (and didn’t care) what it did. I couldn’t find anyone that carried capacitors locally so I ordered the capacitors off Amazon. $7 for a bag of 20.

I am no TV repairman and don’t play one on TV, but it worked. So maybe you could find an Apple or Mac forum (or maybe here) and see if anyone can ID what’s in that area and give you some direction.

yes it's the motherboard, yes I have a crappy radio shack soldering station, I'm thinking its a fuse or something like that I just need to find out what, would only cost me a couple of dollars to replace it, only thing I'm worried about the the solder pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same TV problem Dave did: I'd bet he had a Samsung as well. A little online digging found that Samsung actually had a program where they would fix them for free, even years out of warranty. They sent a guy to my house, he replaced the entire board and it's been great ever since.

You can certainly repair consumer electronics if you're willing to try it. I've had to replace board level components in my fridge, microwave, and a small lathe controller. Saved a bunch of money doing the troubleshooting and labor myself, new boards for all that stuff would've been somewhere around $1,000 all put together.

I say try it. Not like you can make it any worse.

I had the same TV problem Dave did: I'd bet he had a Samsung as well. A little online digging found that Samsung actually had a program where they would fix them for free, even years out of warranty. They sent a guy to my house, he replaced the entire board and it's been great ever since.

You can certainly repair consumer electronics if you're willing to try it. I've had to replace board level components in my fridge, microwave, and a small lathe controller. Saved a bunch of money doing the troubleshooting and labor myself, new boards for all that stuff would've been somewhere around $1,000 all put together.

I say try it. Not like you can make it any worse.

i have replaced caps on a computer motherboard, a couple of lcd TV and I recapped a arcade monitor just hope I can find the part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by luke9511

Low wattage soldering iron, some sort of solder removal tool, ie a solder sucker are a must here.  To high a wattage and you'll melt the pads off quicker than you can blink.  Solder sucker aids in removal of old parts and extra solder oopsies.  I have had to repair some small circuitry in my overhead console on my truck where the resistors were not soldered in well from the factory and a big tipped, high wattage iron just was not the right tool, too big, etc.

Also some sort of small finger to manipulate the part over the pads and hold it in place while soldering is very handy as well, like plastic soldering pick.

Edited by hardknox00001

Years ago my son brought home a gi-normous projection TV that a friend's dad was throwing away. He was just convinced that I could fix whatever was broken, which made me feel good that he thought that of me as a teen, but also made me feel bad because I have no ideas how to fix electronics. I took basic electronics in high school, and I have installed all the wiring in a couple of houses, but fine electronics is like voodoo to me. 

I took a look inside the TV cabinet, hoping I could find something simple like a blown fuse or disconnected wire. I was hoping to find a big, black, unrepairable burned out part so I could save face with my son. I did not find that, but I did find a couple of capacitors that still had a charge in them, and successfully discharged them into my finger.

I ended up putting it on the classified ads at work, listing it something like "Come get this TV, if you can get it to work, send me $10, otherwise you can haul it to the dump." The ad was the talk of work for a while, with everyone wondering who would write such a strange ad. Someone eventually picked it up. I never saw my $10.