Petition was created that demands military be able to CCW

I like the NCO carrying weapons openly.  I think they also need to be able to carry concealed, as well.

BTW, I signed the petition as well.  This is a policy that needs to change.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1
I support the notion of military officers carrying.

I think it should be the same as police. The pistol is part of the uniform. Uniformed carry openly with the option to carry a backup concealed and all off duty/plainclothes is permitted to carry concealed also.

Although I also believe these petitions don't do much of anything
  • Like 1
I’m pretty sure the Whitehouse is well aware of the shootings on military installations. A petition at Whitehouse.gov is kinda silly. But hey, it may work! Obama sees 100k people think the military should be able to carry and he does something about it. Sure...

Is there some kind of Federal law limiting Base Commanders on who they can allow to carry? Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
I am all for arming .mil in garrison, but this is the wrong way to go about it. Arms should be issued in such a manner as is appropriate for rank/duty billets. Officers and SNCOs should be issued sidearms and worn as part of the uniform. Junior enlisted should be issued rifles or carbines and carry them Israeli style (mag out). Folks like recruiters who work off post and in the general public should be issued sidearms regardless of rank. This is supposed to be a professional effing military full of professional effing soldiers. There is no need to pussyfoot around the fact that weapons are a part of their job. As far as when folks are off duty, take the damn uniform off and carry your personal weapon. You aren't supposed to be galavanting around town in your uniform anyway.
  • Like 2

Recruiters are always going to be at risk just because they put themselves into the open population.  It's not like we can have armed security checkpoints at the recruiting stations, that's just not practical.  Allowing them to CCW a pistol if they are wearing ACU's/Cammies would be practical.  Not sure of the current uniform for recruiters, but if they are in some sort of dress uniform, even if it's just what the Army called Class B's with a tucked in button up shirt and slacks, CCW wouldn't be practical, even open carry in that situation would have it's pros and cons.

As to military post's, as we discussed in another thread, that's a harder issue.  No way in hell would a  professional Soldier be allowed to carry their own weapon on duty, as it should be.  At the least, increased security at access points, and extra scrutiny for all visitors would be appropriate.  Unless you have a DoD ID, getting onto a military base should require a legitimate reason, not just meeting a few broad criteria.   I will say that if somehow carry is approved for on base personnel, it needs to be open carry.  Soldiers shouldn't be hiding weapons.  The common reasons for concealed vs. open carry go out the window in an active shooter incident on a military base.

• Like 1

As to military post's, as we discussed in another thread, that's a harder issue. No way in hell would a professional Soldier be allowed to carry their own weapon on duty, as it should be.

I'm not ex-military and don't understand the inner workings of a base so my question is meant to better understand the issues with allowing this. Why is that a bad idea?

Are you speaking in terms of carrying their rifle, sidearm, or both?

Recruiters are always going to be at risk just because they put themselves into the open population.  It's not like we can have armed security checkpoints at the recruiting stations, that's just not practical.  Allowing them to CCW a pistol if they are wearing ACU's/Cammies would be practical.  Not sure of the current uniform for recruiters, but if they are in some sort of dress uniform, even if it's just what the Army called Class B's with a tucked in button up shirt and slacks, CCW wouldn't be practical, even open carry in that situation would have it's pros and cons.

As to military post's, as we discussed in another thread, that's a harder issue.  No way in hell would a  professional Soldier be allowed to carry their own weapon on duty, as it should be.  At the least, increased security at access points, and extra scrutiny for all visitors would be appropriate.  Unless you have a DoD ID, getting onto a military base should require a legitimate reason, not just meeting a few broad criteria.   I will say that if somehow carry is approved for on base personnel, it needs to be open carry.  Soldiers shouldn't be hiding weapons.  The common reasons for concealed vs. open carry go out the window in an active shooter incident on a military base.

When I worked on Redstone Arsenal as a civilian I really did not like not being able to carry a gun on me or in my vehicle...I do see how open carrying could be a good idea vs concealed for obvious reasons.

I'm not ex-military and don't understand the inner workings of a base so my question is meant to better understand the issues with allowing this. Why is that a bad idea?

Are you speaking in terms of carrying their rifle, sidearm, or both?

Partly because professional Soldiers are supposed to carry issued equipment, provided by their government.  Yes I know that Soldiers have had to or choose to buy some of their own kit, but arming a Soldier is a different category.  There is no reason that procurement of arms should be an issue after funding is authorized if an increase is needed to get more pistols versus just using M4's and M16's.

Partly because the Army makes sensitive item control a nightmare, and adding personally owned weapons to that would be a miserable experience for all involved.  Also, there would be issues of can they only use Army appropriated ammo, qualification standards with a different weapon, how that time and resource requirement is dived up between issue and personally owned weapons, and the inevitable issue of the Army keeping official "records" of personally owned weapons.

• Like 1
I signed it this morning when Hickok45 posted the petition on twitter. Seriously, why wouldn't we let the men and women who defend this country carry? I bet these cowards wouldn't attack our soldiers if they knew they were all armed.
  • Like 1

Why can't ANY soldier carry a side arm if they want to?  My god, if a US Marine that passes basic isn't qualified who is?  

I'd prefer that all soldiers and citizens be armed.  Anyone who passes the background check to wear a uniform should be able to carry a weapon.  Every NCO should have a duty to carry a weapon as he is responsible for the enlisted soldiers serving under him/her.

Edited by tnhawk

I'd prefer that all soldiers and citizens be armed. Anyone who passes the background check to wear a uniform should be able to carry a weapon. Every NCO should have a duty to carry a weapon as he is responsible for the enlisted soldiers serving under him/her.

No everyone in uniform should be permitted to carry. Everyone that works on base should be permitted to carry
  • Like 1

I like the NCO carrying weapons openly.  I think they also need to be able to carry concealed, as well.

BTW, I signed the petition as well.  This is a policy that needs to change.

While I know the military doesn't change according to petitions or public opinion i signed the petition anyway.

• Like 2

Partly because professional Soldiers are supposed to carry issued equipment, provided by their government.  Yes I know that Soldiers have had to or choose to buy some of their own kit, but arming a Soldier is a different category.  There is no reason that procurement of arms should be an issue after funding is authorized if an increase is needed to get more pistols versus just using M4's and M16's.

Partly because the Army makes sensitive item control a nightmare, and adding personally owned weapons to that would be a miserable experience for all involved.  Also, there would be issues of can they only use Army appropriated ammo, qualification standards with a different weapon, how that time and resource requirement is dived up between issue and personally owned weapons, and the inevitable issue of the Army keeping official "records" of personally owned weapons.

I think we've had a failure to communicate.    To clarify, I think I misunderstood your position, but not sure.    I see and can understand why it would cause all kinds of inventory confusion for a solider to carry a personally owned weapon.  

I thought you were saying it was a bad idea for them to be able to carry their "own" issued military weapon.  So I'm not sure if you are against that or not so please clarify.