Windows call.

I got a call earlier today, it was some man with an Indian accent saying he worked for Windows, the caller ID said number not available. He said they had Windows error reports from my computer and wanted me to get on my computer to fix them. I told him I was busy and couldn't do that and he insisted on calling me back, he did a couple of hours later but I didn't answer it. First of all why do they care in the first place, I have never been called by them and never reported any errors. I'm guessing it's a scam and sales tactic, i'm not going to open my computer to anyone like that, I don't trust anyone who calls me, there's too many scams.

Anyone else had a call like that?

Got one back a few years like that, I carried on the conversation for a little while and played with them, then I got tired of it and asked them how I could have a windows error when we only use Mac's.  He hung up on me

• Like 3

I was pretty sure it was a scam, Microsoft wouldn't call you like that and the guy said he worked for "Windows", not Microsoft. He couldn't get anything useful off my computer anyway, there's no financial info, no account numbers, no SSN or any personal information on any files, especially no credit card or debit card numbers. I'm old school, keep all my stuff on paper and never do business online.

I was pretty sure it was a scam, Microsoft wouldn't call you like that and the guy said he worked for "Windows", not Microsoft. He couldn't get anything useful off my computer anyway, there's no financial info, no account numbers, no SSN or any personal information on any files, especially no credit card or debit card numbers. I'm old school, keep all my stuff on paper and never do business online.

SCAM without question... Looking to milk you out of some money any way they can. I simply do not answer my phone anymore at all.....

• Like 2

What they're trying to do is get you to go online, give them permission to remote access your computer, get you to agree to pay them to trouble shoot your computer, leave spyware behind and then defraud you. One hacker thought he'd outsmart them for an article but as soon as he canceled permission for the credit card transaction they wiped his computer. They also left a vulgar message.

What they're trying to do is get you to go online, give them permission to remote access your computer, get you to agree to pay them to trouble shoot your computer, leave spyware behind and then defraud you. One hacker thought he'd outsmart them for an article but as soon as he canceled permission for the credit card transaction they wiped his computer. They also left a vulgar message.

I don't agree to anything over the phone. When it's a number that's unavailable or some state I know no one from I just hit answer and hang up to stop it from ringing. Why I asked about this is that the other night I did have a startup problem and my computer went through a diagnostic then fixed the error. It's a 7 year old HP with Windows Vista, what I need is a new PC someday.

SCAM without question... Looking to milk you out of some money any way they can. I simply do not answer my phone anymore at all.....

That is the point I am at. If I don't know the number, I don't answer.

The one that gets me is now, whenever I make a purchase, someone from the company wants to call me and survey me about my experience. They then call a dozen times, annoying the piss out of me. Buy a car? Ten phone calls and a hundred emails. Buy a mattress? Ten phone calls.

The one that really pissed me off though was when we had our cable service moved, and the very next day a customer service representative showed up on my door step and asked to come in and inspect the work. I don't think he liked my response to get the hell off my porch. 

My parents get theses calls frequently. Most of the time we ignore them. Occasionally I will answer and play along with the caller pretending to start up their computer. I'll ask numerous questions and explanations on which keys to push,how to go from one screen to another,etc, until I get bored. Then I say bad things about their mother and sisters and hang up on them. Childish, I know, but I hope never grow up.
  • Like 1

When I get a call with a # I don't recognize, I flip it to Ignore, & forget it. If it is important they will leave a voice mail.

99.9% dont leave one. Works for me.

Bingo. If it's important, leave a voicemail.

Definitely a scam.  I have received several of these calls and I don't own a computer that uses Windows - I'm an Apple guy.

It makes good sense to Google "current scams 2015" or whatever year it is every so often.  The scammers are becoming more sophisticated.

When I get a call with a # I don't recognize, I flip it to Ignore, & forget it. If it is important they will leave a voice mail.

99.9% dont leave one. Works for me.

This. I get them fairly frequently. Mine first started after buying a pc from Office Depot.  Yes, I know, that was a mistake.

My parents get theses calls frequently. Most of the time we ignore them. Occasionally I will answer and play along with the caller pretending to start up their computer. I'll ask numerous questions and explanations on which keys to push,how to go from one screen to another,etc, until I get bored. Then I say bad things about their mother and sisters and hang up on them. Childish, I know, but I hope never grow up.

Why does this make me want to get those calls. :)

This. I get them fairly frequently. Mine first started after buying a pc from Office Depot.  Yes, I know, that was a mistake.

Next PC I buy i'll buy it at Walmart or some place that wont ask for all your info. Set it on the counter, hand them some cash and walk out the door. Or just lie about your email and phone# and address.

My grandfather would have greeted his second call with an air horn blown into the phone speaker.

My grandfather would have had them on the phone for at least 45 minutes asking them what kind of windows they were selling, the best way to clean windows, or some other nonsense. He could really work them, everyone in the house would gather around to listen, I'd give anything to have been able to record those calls.

IMO telemarketers are open game. They call us without invitation and try to get us to do things we don't want to do. I consider even the legitimate ones to be an unhonorable profession. Yeah, I understand it's a job, so it's being a crack dealer. Just because it's a job doesn't mean I'm going to give you a pass.
  • Like 1

Wife and I have some friends who just are not bright or on guard for scams like this.  Someone called our friend year ago about a virus detected on her computer, he too had a Indian accent.  She gave them the credentials necessary over the phone for the guy to do a remote in while she stayed on the phone, she said for the next 2 hours this guy worked on her computer as she watched.  He then said they were done, and have a nice day.  About 2 days later she started to think this may have been a scam.  Took her computer to someone, they didn't find anything, and she was relieved.  About a week later once my wife told me this story.  I asked our friend if she paid bills on line, used any type of password service like Norton, or uses Turbo Tax or something from previous years, and she said yes to all my questions.  I told her that they likely downloaded all of her tax returns, passwords, etc.  She was sick, but to date she has no apparent misuse of her SSN or other information, but she also may not admit anything to me anymore because I kinda of scolded her hard for her own good.  I don't think she took to my scolding.  I further informed her I compare this intrusion to like some stranger claiming to be a police officer in plain clothes who knocked on her door, and said they detected she may have been broken into, they needed to do a sweep of the home.  After a two hour search going through her personal belongings and looking into each room, they said nope nothing wrong, have a nice day, I said would you have let this happen?  She said of course not, then don't ever let a stranger into your computer.

Edited by Runco

Wife and I have some friends who just are not bright or on guard for scams like this.  Someone called our friend year ago about a virus detected on her computer, he too had a Indian accent.  She gave them the credentials necessary over the phone for the guy to do a remote in while she stayed on the phone, she said for the next 2 hours this guy worked on her computer as she watched.  He then said they were done, and have a nice day.  About 2 days later she started to think this may have been a scam.  Took her computer to someone, they didn't find anything, and she was relieved.  About a week later once my wife told me this story.  I asked our friend if she paid bills on line, used any type of password service like Norton, or uses Turbo Tax or something from previous years, and she said yes to all my questions.  I told her that they likely downloaded all of her tax returns, passwords, etc.  She was sick, but to date she has no apparent misuse of her SSN or other information, but she also may not admit anything to me anymore because I kinda of scolded her hard for her own good.  I don't think she took to my scolding.  I further informed her I compare this intrusion to like some stranger claiming to be a police officer in plain clothes who knocked on her door, and said they detected she may have been broken into, they needed to do a sweep of the home.  After a two hour search going through her personal belongings and looking into each room, they said nope nothing wrong, have a nice day, I said would you have let this happen?  She said of course not, then don't ever let a stranger into your computer.

There are so many scams because naive people fall for it and not just computer scams although that's the best and easiest way for scumbag scammers these days. That scammer that called me kept pushing me to go to my computer after telling him I was busy twice, I was way too polite and should have just cussed him out but it's my fault for even answering the phone, I didn't the second time. That was kinda funny when he said he worked for Windows, like someone who works for Federal saying they work for bullets. My mom is 86 and i'm proud to say she doesn't fall for the scams either. I have never really been scammed except for a bad sale a few times in life, and at the gas pump and grocery store but everybody's scammed then.

I've gotten this call 3-4 times.... one of them even called me by name. That one spooked me, I just played ignorant for a few minutes and then asked "why do you keep calling me that, my name is Albert! They immediately hung up.

Best way to handle these, tell them you run Linux.....