New minimum wage

As a scan the news from California, I can't definitively discern which wage paying entities and worker classifications are included or excluded under the plan.

Here's the game as I see it.

They are trying to redefine and increase the poverty line to the much palatable and tug on your heart strings, alms to the less fortunate "living wage" using a new baseline of $31,200 for "subsides"

40 hours x $15 × 52 weeks = the MINIMUM living wage of $31,200

They know those workers currently do not get 40 hours and this will not entice business to offer 40 hours.

Business can either reduce staff and further sacrifice service or suck it up, pass along the cost or operate for very little reward vs. risk (for the small business owner)

Guv'mint get to hands out more stuff to the mob to make up the difference between wages earned vs. the minimum living wage.

National production goes down as workers don't have to produce as much because they have less need and they're making the same money

more folks become dependent upon guv'mint and like the lifestyle and production goes down some more

Value for value has long since been dead.

All of a sudden there is no one left to pay for all that stuff...read history if you want to know what follows, but hey, it will NEVER happen to the good old USA!

Tin foil hat brigade, front and center. Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1
About 100 years ago or so, it took the average person two or three days to earn enough to buy an ounce of silver. With $15/hour, at least at this moment, someone is earning enough to buy an ounce every hour.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

there should be no minimum wage.

Free market will decide what a pay rate is for any given job.   If you want to pay $2 an hour you probably aren't going to get very good help so you will raise the rate to the point you get good help.   It is a simple theory.

• Like 17

Free market will decide what a pay rate is for any given job. If you want to pay $2 an hour you probably aren't going to get very good help so you will raise the rate to the point you get good help. It is a simple theory.

Free market principle of the day , yo!

This is completely logical, is that why tin foil hats are coming out?

There are reports coming our of Seattle that some workers are asking for less hours now so they can stay on the gov tit. I will say I am surprised they are working but the handouts are just a bonus.

I am baffled as to why some people think this is a good idea.

There are reports coming our of Seattle that some workers are asking for less hours now so they can stay on the gov tit. I will say I am surprised they are working but the handouts are just a bonus.

http://therightscoop.com/seattle-raises-minimum-wage-to-15-workers-demand-fewer-hours-to-keep-their-welfare-benefits-lol/

Saw the same article.

Free market will decide what a pay rate is for any given job.   If you want to pay $2 an hour you probably aren't going to get very good help so you will raise the rate to the point you get good help.   It is a simple theory.

+1, but the liberals don't agree with your theory. 

Like most simple solutions this works,  up to a point.   When you realize that a small handful of companies control a large amount of the jobs in the country... if they make a cartel and offer $1/hour or nothing, you suddenly have millions of people stuck in a "take it or leave it"  situation --- and no other job to go to.   Wages could drop in a heartbeat,  but the cost of living WON'T ... leaving people in very big bind.   Of course, people could all refuse to work for that... but the big boys can go months with shut doors to force the issue.   Most people can't go months without some sort of pay... 

its not an impossible scenario.   Depends on whether the big ones want to work together to maximize profits vs continue to compete.   Whatever happens, though,  employees lose.    I am against raising min wage, but we can't go backwards without hurting a lot of people, so removing it or lowering it would cause a lot of suffering, IMHO.

Edited by Jonnin
Higher minimum wage means prices on everyday goods goes up to offset increased wages. No one wins. Most of us lose.

Minimum wage should be dead set at 1¢ per day. Let the market and individual skills/work ethic set the actual pay rate. Capitolism works but you have to stop screwing with it and let it work for itself. Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

Like most simple solutions this works, up to a point. When you realize that a small handful of companies control a large amount of the jobs in the country... if they make a cartel and offer $1/hour or nothing, you suddenly have millions of people stuck in a "take it or leave it" situation --- and no other job to go to. Wages could drop in a heartbeat, but the cost of living WON'T ... leaving people in very big bind. Of course, people could all refuse to work for that... but the big boys can go months with shut doors to force the issue. Most people can't go months without some sort of pay...

its not an impossible scenario. Depends on whether the big ones want to work together to maximize profits vs continue to compete. Whatever happens, though, employees lose. I am against raising min wage, but we can't go backwards without hurting a lot of people, so removing it or lowering it would cause a lot of suffering, IMHO.

Get rid of the government and most corporations would not exist as they do today. They wouldn't have a government to lobby, for protection, or for welfare and subsidies for themselves and their employees. They also wouldn't have a government to grant them special production and property rights. They couldn't hire people on wages lower than the minimum for those people to support themselves/families. No protection, no labor, no production, no corporation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

Just read a headline that now they want to work less hours so they can still draw welfare.
The Left is never happy.

The left......wins yet another battle of stupidity. And all these minimum wage people of welfare is their voting block. See how that works.

a

Higher minimum wage means prices on everyday goods goes up to offset increased wages. No one wins. Most of us lose.

Minimum wage should be dead set at 1¢ per day. Let the market and individual skills/work ethic set the actual pay rate. Capitolism works but you have to stop screwing with it and let it work for itself.

Why is that so hard to understand?

It's common sense but as usual the left fails to see the logic. 

Same goes for the decrease in hours so they can continue welfare,WTF!,  I can't help but shake my head in disgust.

About 100 years ago or so, it took the average person two or three days to earn enough to buy an ounce of silver. With $15/hour, at least at this moment, someone is earning enough to buy an ounce every hour.

And the moral is, stop pissing away your money buying silver ...

• Like 1

And the moral is, stop pissing away your money buying silver ...

It can go both ways; the intention of my post was for perspective. Back then money was backed by something physical, now it's backed by magical promises and pretty nothings. Precious metals are a terrible investment in general based on their volatility. In the long term they are a great store of value, especially when fiat tender goes bunk.

• Like 1
Are folks ever going to figure out that minimum wage was never intended to be a career? It was intended for high school kids to make gas/beer/date money. Struggling to get by on minimum wage is supposed to motivate people to better themselves. I guess it's easier to whine to the government.
  • Like 3

Are folks ever going to figure out that minimum wage was never intended to be a career? It was intended for high school kids to make gas/beer/date money. Struggling to get by on minimum wage is supposed to motivate people to better themselves. I guess it's easier to whine to the government.

Unfortunately, a lot of minimum wage people are not motivated.  My son is 16 and he has looked for a job all summer.  He's put in countless applications for a part time job.  There are none to be had.  Adults take them all.

If the dollar was still tied to a tangible good, then I would agree with most of you. However, it isn't. Most studies show that keeping minimum wage level with inflation increases economic growth. I think everyone agrees corporations are greedy.

If the dollar was still tied to a tangible good, then I would agree with most of you. However, it isn't. Most studies show that keeping minimum wage level with inflation increases economic growth. I think everyone agrees corporations are greedy.

Of course they do; growing GDP and inflation go hand in hand. But minimum wage jobs account for a very small portion of the work force, so the following increase in GDP wouldn't necessarily be accounted for by a rise in the minimum wage...correlation is not causation.

Edited by Ted S.

Of course they do; growing GDP and inflation go hand in hand. But minimum wage jobs account for a very small portion of the work force, so the following increase in GDP wouldn't necessarily be accounted for by a rise in the minimum wage...correlation is not causation.

Not sure what you are trying to say. Most studies show more job opportunities and increased growth. Minimum wage has been around for some time time. The removal of what would be pretty disastrous.

The "free market" would victimize low skill and some technical workers if left unchecked by things like a minimum wage.  There were reasons for instituting it in the first place, and without a minimum wage, those reasons would come right back.

Another upside to a minimum wage hike is the money it would put back into what I call the "real economy"  by giving low income workers more purchasing power.  I think $15 an hour is too much unless it's phased in over a decade or something, but $10.10 now is reasonable.  Let's face it, if someone is making between minimum wage and $10.10 an hour, bring raised up to $10.10 isn't going to have them saving, or opening up a mutual fund.  That extra pay will be used to buy more items, and that's more money retailers can compete for.