When to start transitioning to higher caliber from 22lr

bigalbaldwin

I haven't had a lot of prior firearms experience but did a ton of BB/pellet gun shooting as a kid.  Even had a makeshift BB/pellet range setup at our house growing up! 

I started recently shooting a 22lr pistol, and I feel like I'm doing well. Sight alignment and sight picture came back fairly quickly! I can replicate the TN carry permit range test and all 50 shots hit in the "countable" area - and fairly nice groupings.  I am scheduled for the "official" carry class in late September (due to class availability and my work schedule).  However, I know that the range part of the test isn't "that" difficult.

Anyway, my question is:  How would I know that I'm ready to start transitioning to a higher caliber -- probably to a 9mm from the 22lr??  If I do decide to rent a 9mm on a future range visit to try, how would I know if that's "too much gun for me right now"?  Or should I even have that concern with a 9mm?

Thanks for your assistance!!

Alan

Chattanooga, TN

Meh. Imho, an average adult with firearms familiarity and no severe handicap should pretty much be able to shoot anything within reason. Go getcha sumthin bigger and have fun!

Btw, my first gun was a 40, and I had fired precisely one round out of a shotgun 10 years prior. I had never held a handgun in my life until I bought it. No biggie.
  • Like 2

You're ready to move up. Don't feel like you're limited to 9mm. Find a gun that feels right in your hand, regardless of the caliber.

A 38 special revolver can be a good choice for a novice, especially since you're accustomed to shooting a revolver.  Lots of guys on TGO carry 38 specials or it's big brother, the 357. You can shoot 38 special rounds in a 357... a nice advantage to owning a 357. 

I'd suggest you avoid really small guns. They're harder to aim, kick more, and jam easier. i.e., the LCP, TCP, P3-AT and the super light 9mm handguns. Great little guns, but they require extra experience to shoot well. ...oh, and they're not fun to shoot, in my opinion. 

I'd also suggest that you avoid full sized guns. They look impressive, but they are heavier and harder to conceal. A good gun that you will carry daily is better than a great gun at home in a drawer.

Finally, I'd suggest you avoid Glocks. They're great handguns, but the trigger pull is short and light... not a good combination for a novice.  

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1
Part of the fun is trying new things!

Go to a range that has a variety to rent, Nashville Armory is nice. Rent different ones, unless you get a super magnum revolver and don't hold it firmly you will be fine.

I had always heard the .44magnum was heavy recoiling and all that. Then my buddy got one as a gift, a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2". He let me shoot it and while it did have some recoil it was VERY fun!

Me personally, I don't care for shooting .22lr much anymore, part of shooting for me is the sound and recoil, 9mm minimum.

Worst thing that could happen is you don't like it and go back to your .22
  • Like 1

If you can shoot the .22 left and right handed, one-handed and two-handed either side, kneeling, lying on your side, on your back and in prone, both eyes open then get something bigger.  The thing I have seen most - is folks buy a gun in a caliber that they can't shoot enough to build muscle memory, but talk off the range like they are some sort of serious shooter.  The next mistake is thinking a two-handed strong side hold in a classic stance like a Modified Weaver is the way to being a pistolero.  I used to tell folks to get 10-20K of .22 and shoot it to build good basics then get a 9mm and shoot it a lot (9mm being comparatively cheap). If you can, take some lessons from a pro.  I also advocate doing other physical things that carry over to shooting.  Shooting basketballs, wrestling, other martial arts, tennis, softball, archery table tennis, racquetball, just about anything that requires balance, movement and eye-hand coordination.  Having said that I do personally know a wheelchair shooter and a really fat deputy sheriff both here in TN, that if you are on the wrong end of their pistols you are going to be dead.  Never underestimate anyone. That 14 year old with a Raven .25 is probably more likely to kill you than some pro shooter with a .45ACP Les Baer.

I appreciate your caution and think you'll have no trouble moving to a .38 or 9mm.

The first question to consider is what you want to use the gun for.  Shooting fun?  Self defense? both?

I'm a fan of the 9mm for several reasons.  People will debate self defense rounds all day long.  Most of the experts agree that a 9mm with modern defensive ammo is plenty.

9mm ammo is probably the least expensive center fire cartridge, so you can shoot more when training and having fun.

I'm not a revolver fan.  Many people love them - though I prefer semi automatics.

A striker fired pistol would be a great place to start.  The key is to find one that you like and that fits your hand well.  The indoor range I use lets people rent three for under $50, though we are in Nashville and you are in Chattanooga.

I really like my S&W M&P 9mm.   All of the major manufacturers have an offering in this area.

Now, to the most important part.  Training.  Responsible gun ownership, especially relative to self defense, requires a lot of training.

The carry permit class is only a start. I think trainer Randy Harris, whose TGO name is 'Cruel Hand Luke' is in Chattanooga.  I don't know him personally, though have read positive comments about his training.  

Randy Harris
Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

NRA Certified Instructor

Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor

Glock Factory Certified Armorer

Master Class IDPA Stock Service Pistol

Gung Ho Chuan Association

Another part of training, which is often neglected, is when shooting someone is justified.  I recently went to a five hour workshop here in Nashville put on by an attorney who has done nothing other than firearms self defense for the past twenty years.  

One of the things I learned is that a self defense claim is black and white.  Either it exists or it doesn't.  If it doesn't, then what you think is self defense is actually murder.    There are five conditions that have to be met for a valid self defense claim.  The tactic used by prosecutors is to find the weakest of the five in an individual case and to attack it.  If they can convince a jury that one of the five doesn't exist, then they have won and the shooter goes to jail.

The key is to ensure that your case doesn't go to trial and the key to that is to be strong with all five factors.  

Just going to the class isn't enough,  incorporating the concepts requires training.  

Anyway, I'm glad you are having fun with your firearms journey.

Anyway, my question is:  How would I know that I'm ready to start transitioning to a higher caliber -- probably to a 9mm from the 22lr??  If I do decide to rent a 9mm on a future range visit to try, how would I know if that's "too much gun for me right now"?  Or should I even have that concern with a 9mm?

Apparently you are 21 or will be by the end of September. Do you have some kind of issue that would cause you to think you couldn’t handle a center fire handgun?

As far as how you will know.....if it’s comfortable and you can hit the target you are good to go.

My first semiauto was a 1911 in .45 acp. My wife also thought it was fun to shoot.

The first handgun I ever fired was a 1911.  After shooting .357 revolvers for several years I got a 1911.  The majority of pistols in my safe are now .45 ACP.  Safety rules are always the same for all guns.  Try several different pistols and you'll find the one that you prefer.