Troopers using trucks to catch people texting

xsubsailor

Anything they can do is a great thing. Texting and driving is the new DUI as far as accidents go and we really have not captured all the numbers. I live 20 miles from Knoxville and I bet we see at least five drivers texting as we are heading into or out of town. And at least once a day we are forced to swerve to avoid and accident. The only thing that bothers me more is those that cut the corners in a curve.

I one thing they can do is offer a service where you can text a picture of the offender along with a license plate. Maybe send the driver notice of it. They had something similar for people littering but there is a lot more testing than littering going on or at least it is easier to find. Heck, if there is ZERO doubt they are guilty then make the offender pay a fine with a portion of the proceeds going back to the person reporting it.

In a perfect world people would be responsible enough to not harm others with their actions.

...and I bet we see at least five drivers texting as we are heading into or out of town.

When I'm at the stop line waiting a left turn light to turn green, I run a quick count of people with their heads lowered far enough to be texting while driving.  My unofficial count is about 60% of people I see passing by are probably texting as they go through an intersection.  

• Like 1

Anything they can do is a great thing. Texting and driving is the new DUI as far as accidents go and we really have not captured all the numbers. I live 20 miles from Knoxville and I bet we see at least five drivers texting as we are heading into or out of town. And at least once a day we are forced to swerve to avoid and accident. The only thing that bothers me more is those that cut the corners in a curve.

I one thing they can do is offer a service where you can text a picture of the offender along with a license plate. Maybe send the driver notice of it. They had something similar for people littering but there is a lot more testing than littering going on or at least it is easier to find. Heck, if there is ZERO doubt they are guilty then make the offender pay a fine with a portion of the proceeds going back to the person reporting it.

In a perfect world people would be responsible enough to not harm others with their actions.

I work in the road. I can say that most places, about 1 in three people are distracted by their phone. Sometimes it's as much as 1 in 2.

I'm not sure the answer is photographing them on the road and texting it to police. Wouldn't that make for two unsafe drivers?

I saw a guy texting a couple of weeks ago while riding a Harley. I thought he sas going to lay the bike over when he got to the red light! :shake: :shake:

Somebody might be that important, but I hope I never am.

• Like 1

The Peoples Republic of Illinois passed this last year.  http://www.drivinglaws.org/ill.php

I would treat it like a DUI, especially if there was an accident. More people are getting injured from distracted driving, such as texting, than from drunk driving accidents so it should be treated the same. The choice to do it is no different than the choice to drink. The people they hurt are no less hurt because the other driver was texting and not driving drunk. So it should carry similar penalties. I personally believe the DUI sentencing is often to lenient, especially subsequent offenses. 

• Like 2

Two years ago the wife and and I where rear ended by a lady texting....broke 8 ribs on the wife and cracked my neck.  We where stopped at a light.....she never even hit her brakes...totaled the car.  Busted the seats out of there mounting.

photo.JPG

Edited by Ron_TN

I was thinking in my world. In my world I am always a passenger so there is always somebody free to do something. I can see where it would only exacerbate the problem having every other person taking pictures.

Gotcha. I'm usually driving by myself, so I had a different perspective pictured.

Two years ago the wife and and I where rear ended by a lady texting....broke 8 ribs on the wife and cracked my neck.  We where stopped at a light.....she never even hit her brakes...totaled the car.  Busted the seats out of there mounting.

photo.JPG

And I would have sued her for every penny she could get her hands on too!! If someone hits me the first thing I will do is have the law get a printout of the persons cell phone usage and let the ambulance chasers loose!!

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the only mechanical device ever proven to reduce accident frequency is a rear view mirror with a cop in it, and the texters have the cops waaaaaaaaaaaay outnumbered.

Yeah right! I was followed the other day by a Sparta K-9 officer and looked over as he started to pass me and he was texting as he was driving. But then he is above the law!!!!!

• Like 5

Yeah right! I was followed the other day by a Sparta K-9 officer and looked over as he started to pass me and he was texting as he was driving. But then he is above the law!!!!!

I regularly see officers texting, talking on the phone, and not wearing seatbelts while driving. I'm not supposed to mention that here, however.

I think the badge gives them superpowers to do as they please.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

My wife KNOWS I won't answer texts during my commute home, but that never stopped her from texting me to ask me to stop on the way home for something. I'd just walk in the door and say she should have called me instead (bluetooth/hands-free).

We were driving somewhere the other day and she heard my truck read me a text message and got royally P'd off. Now I don't have an excuse to make her go buy her own damn tampons or whatever.

• Like 2