Walking Dead Season 6

Oh Shoot

I went back and watched the ending again. The line up from Negan's left to right perspective was: glenn rosita daryl michone abraham maggie rick sasha aaron carl eugene. To me, he appears to move to the right from rick. That would indicate sasha, aaron, carl or eugene if he actually moved that direction. It seems carl is out becasue of the refernce to cutting his other eye out and feeding it to rick. I guess they could still do that even if carl got the bat, but doesn't seem likely.

I also keep thinking about the blockades on the road. There was a lot of reference that rick should be extra nice to the people in the RV because you don't know if it's their last day on earth. If that holds true as foreshadowing, Glenn and Daryl wern't in the RV.

Aaron would be an easy way out all while still leaving the audience "suffering" with suspense till next season. Aaron could be a win-win for the ratings and writers.

Interesting.  I somehow got that Negan's victim was to the left from Rick, towards Daryl and Glenn.  The camera jumped around a lot while Negan was doing 'eenie, meenie', though so it is hard to be sure and I haven't rewatched it.  You are correct that Aaron would be an easy way out and I could see (from the show runners' and writers' points of view) that he would be an 'attractive' option.  To me, though, building such suspense with a cliffhanger and then putting Aaron on the receiving end of the head bashing would be something of a cop-out.  Further, I think there might be a backlash from certain 'special interest' groups if Negan's first, real act on the show is to engage in - quite literally - gay bashing.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I seriously doubt it will be one of the women. Negan wants to show that he's the biggest, baddest guy in the world and not to be messed with. While the victim might well be Glen as in the comics, I'm thinking Negan will want to take out the biggest, baddest member of the group just to prove his point. That would obviously be Abraham. 

I seriously doubt it will be one of the women. Negan wants to show that he's the biggest, baddest guy in the world and not to be messed with. While the victim might well be Glen as in the comics, I'm thinking Negan will want to take out the biggest, baddest member of the group just to prove his point. That would obviously be Abraham.

He said he plans to put them to work. I guess it depends on what kind of work (or trouble) he expects from each one. He may have other plans for the women, so I agree he probably wants to keep them for now. Abraham confronted him a little by leaning up to look him in the eyes, so he might have clubbed Abe for the reason you stated. However, the writers have a habit of making you think something has happened to one member, but it turns out to be someone else.

Who did Negan kill?

Well, I like trying to figure out stuff and I'm retired and got plenty of time on my hands, can't hunt turkeys ALL the time you know....LOL.  So, I've gone over some things and if you remember, Kirkman said it was a "beloved" member of the cast that gets the bat. I saw some quotes online that he said "very beloved". I can't remember, but looking at it, Carol, definitely a "beloved" member, wasn't there. Morgan wasn't there either and IMO not a "beloved" member. Out of the 11 that were there, Daryl, Rick, Maggie, Carl, Machonne, Glenn, Sosha, Abraham, Rosita, Aaron, and Eugene, only the first 6 of my list are IMO "beloved" in any way and I think pretty much in that order of magnitude. Kirkman also said the entire episode was Negan "breaking down" Rick. With Rick and Carl out of the picture due to the "feed him his other eye" comment, that could point to Michonne, but ONLY if Negan knows about her being his current woman friend and lover, but in the comics she plays a huge role on the hill top group and they seem to be trying to get back to the comics as much as possible. That leaves Maggie, Glenn or Daryl of the "beloved" group, but Maggie has a huge hill top role in the comics also, again, if they do intend to stay on track with the comics. That leaves Daryl, or Glenn and since Glenn is Lucille's victim in the comics, that wouldn't be much of a surprise. Here is the layout of the group left to right from the scene:

Glenn, Rosita, Daryl, Machonne, Abraham, Maggie, Rick, Sosha, Aaron, Carl, and Eugene.

At the end, Negan was moving to his left (IMO) as he settled on the victim. The last four people shown was Daryl, Abraham, Carl and Rick in that order. Going left from Rick leaves the four I mentioned above, Glenn, Daryl, Machonne, and Maggie left to right, all of the 4 "beloved" ones other than Rick and Carl.

I'm gonna say Daryl for these reasons:

5. Glenn as the victim doesn't do much

4. Negan either saw or it was reported that he blew up the Negans first group of men, the motorcycle riders.

3. Daryl is Ricks right hand man and has been during most of the show and a good way to break him.

2. Daryl was never in the comics, but in the TV version he bumped Tyrese out of the right hand man spot as portrayed in the comics and Tyrese dies instead of Herchel in the comics. It's Daryls time.

1. My number 1 reason is that Daryl is the KING of "beloved" cast members and Negan accomplishes more by killing him than any of the others to get back at Rick, punish him for the motorcycle group, AND to totally shock the fans!  

At any rate, I guess we won't know for 6 months. LOL!!

• Like 1

It could well be Daryl.  That said, I think that the biggest thing going against that has nothing to do with the storyline or character motivations and everything to do with the powers that be on the show, etc. wanting the show to continue.  I honestly believe that their ratings would take a big plunge immediately after an episode in which Daryl dies.  Then - as I believe the show would become a whole lot less interesting without him (the comic is fine without him but things are different in the comic) I think there would follow a steady decline in the ratings in the weeks following that episode as people who are not, necessarily, in the 'if Daryl dies we riot' camp simply begin to realize the negative impact that character's loss has on the show as a whole.  I still like the show but feel that it has lost a lot of its momentum as it goes into its seventh season.  Negan and the Saviors - and how Rick's group and others deal with them - is potentially the perfect opportunity to regain that momentum as Negan has the potential to be one of the best, most interesting (and most hated while still, secretly, kinda liking him) characters in the show's history.  Killing Daryl, IMO, would render the potential re-kindling of interest in the show by viewers who may be thinking of giving up on it null and void.  Daryl dying on his knees with no chance to fight back would be the most unsatisfying decision the show runners and writers could make or have made to this point.  If Daryl dies, the only way to make it palatable to viewers - and especially superfans of the character - would be if he did so saving the rest of the group from overwhelming odds when they had no, other possible chance of survival without him sacrificing himself to save his 'family'.  In other words, I think that killing Daryl - especially in this manner - would be the definitive moment when The Walking Dead television show jumped the shark.

I think that killing Glenn would accomplish a lot.  First, Negan obviously knows that Maggie is pregnant and now knows that Glenn is the father.  Beating Glenn to death shows that Negan isn't giving anyone a pass for any reason.  Further, while Abraham did give Negan the 'stink eye', Glenn is the only one who moved from his position in line (when Maggie was threatened.)  This gives Negan a chance to show that he won't stand for anyone getting out of line - literally or figuratively - for any reason.  Negan is looking to physically, emotionally and psychologically devastate these people.  He has no way of knowing just how much any individual there means to Rick or the rest of the group but he does now know that Glenn is the father of Maggie's baby.  Regardless of what the other interpersonal relationships are in the group, Negan would also have to know that killing a soon-to-be father in front of his wife would have a huge psychological impact on the rest of the group.  One of the things that, I think, solidified Daryl as a fan favorite was the way he wouldn't give up looking for Sophia and all the physical damage he survived trying to find her.  Seeing Glenn - one of his best friends and a person he likely considers to be a 'brother' - beaten to death right beside him and the desire to make Negan and the Saviors pay for Glenn's death would send Daryl to that place in a way we haven't seen since then.  His desire for vengeance after Glenn's death would make his reaction to Denise's death look like a tea party.  In other words, it would be a chance to see a return to the 'real' Daryl.

As far as a show/plot decision, I also think that killing Glenn would be an effective decision.  I think that most viewers would feel Glenn's loss, making it possible to feel at least some amount of the devastation the rest of Rick's group would feel.  That said, I think that killing Glenn could well have the opposite effect on viewership that killing Daryl would have.  Instead of deciding to give up on the show, I think that many viewers would want to tune in to see how the group - especially Maggie - would handle the loss as well as to see how they were going to make Negan pay for killing him.

COMIC BOOK STUFF:

There is, of course, a Daryl-like character in the comics.  A guy who, at first, isn't very likeable but who turns out to have a certain nobility about him and eventually ends up contributing a lot to the group.  A guy, in fact, who for a long time uses a crossbow as his main weapon.  I am talking, of course, about Dwight.  In the comics, Dwight got that burn on his face from Negan who disfigured him to punish him for a 'transgression'.  He ends up betraying Negan and is instrumental in Negan's defeat.  In the past on the television version when a character has died there has been a 'replacement' waiting in the wings (this has not necessarily been true in the comics - which to my mind makes each character's loss in the comics have more of an impact because there isn't the sense that 'we'll just throw another character into that spot.".  For instance, Shane died but Daryl replaced him as Rick's best friend and right hand man.  Dale died and Herschel replaced him as the 'Jiminy Cricket' of the group.  Herschel died and Tyreese sort of took on that role and then after he died, Morgan came along.  I don't think it would be a good idea, though, to try and replace Daryl with Dwight.  This is partly because Daryl is such a unique character and partly because the actor playing Dwight on the show doesn't have even one tenth of the 'presence' that Norman Reedus has on screen.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3

The only way Daryl will die is if Norman Reedus decides he wants to quit the show. Even then, killing Daryl will basically be killing the show. 

When Dwight shot Daryl the week before, the hardcore fans on the internet nearly freaked out.  :panic: So I seriously doubt it will be him.

While I admit to being a fan of the show, I not nearly as "in to it" as many of the super fans who actually would riot if Daryl was killed off. So I hadn't really put all that much thought into it. Y'all make some very compelling arguments that it will be Glen. Ok, I change my vote. Glen it is.

Besides, I like Abraham and would like to see him continue.  :up:

• Like 1

Show pretty much jumped the shark for me with Glenn and the Dumpster. Only way the writers can atone for that cheap shot is to really snuff him now, but would have been better if they'd done it immediately after he was shown to survive it.

- OS

By leaving it up for speculation like they have, the writers almost get the benefit of killing off a major player without actually having to do it (Well, for a few months anyway). What I mean is they can have the audience believe Negan killed Daryl or Glenn, then only to reveal it was Aaron or someone else. Daryl brings so much to the show, I think it would be boring without him blowing a gang up with an RPG or clearing a room with a crossbow.

Killing Daryl, Abraham, Maggie, Rosita or Machone would be a let down for me. I'd prefer Glenn not get the bat, but I could accept that.

Randall53...good points and well thought and explained. But I sure hope you are wrong.

Jab...also a good interpretation of the situation, and I personally think you have the plan.

Grayfox54...we are in agreement on Darryl's value to the show.

I've watched from Episode 1. Liked and disliked it at different points for different reasons, mainly Rick on both. I just really don't like Rick. Can't give you a concrete reason, he just sort of irritates the crap out of me.

But, since he is, and has been from the first, the central character of the show, and it's all been pretty much the evolution of Rick throughout the show; I don't see Rick being bludgeoned, gutted, or used as a softball just yet. Perhaps a little further down the line...

As for Darryl, he's a great character, and as all say, a fan favorite. Right up there with Carol. But I don't think he can carry the show as the lead character. jmo

So, I think it pretty much has to be Glenn.

Or maybe not. lol

Edited by hipower
I just remembered that Glenn stopped to look at that wall during the savior raid with all the polaroids of negan's head-bashing. Plus we've seen first-person through his eyes before on the dumpster when Nicholas turned and said, "thank you." And... wasn't glenn next to get the bat to the head in Terminus? (multi-season Foreshadowing maybe?)

Hmmm. Edited by Wingshooter

I just remembered that Glenn stopped to look at that wall during the savior raid with all the polaroids of negan's head-bashing. Plus we've seen first-person through his eyes before on the dumpster when Nicholas turned and said, "thank you." And... wasn't glenn next to get the bat to the head in Terminus? (multi-season Foreshadowing maybe?)

Hmmm.

Glen also picked up a bat from a display case in Noah's neighborhood.

I say kill 'em all and have the show focus on the Saviors.  With all the relationships beginning and ending with Ricks group, it was becoming a soap opera. :P

Season 7 will start off with Carol & Morgan, then the following week will be a 90 minute back story on how Negan became what he is, then week 3 we'll finally see who got killed.  :2cents:

• Like 5

My "best guess" is Aaron.  Don't see him much this season then he shows up at the end. Yeah Red Shirt all the way. Maggie would have sent a better "message" and been a twist on the comic events. I really don't think it's Glen because they teased his death all season long. Can't be any of the girls because I'm sure a group of fighting men see the value of pretty girls. And there is no way it's Big D. They wouldn't want to take the rating hits that would cause unless this is the last season.

I clicked the link that glowdotGlock posted. Well there certainly aren't any shortages of theory's, that's for sure.  It really amazes me how caught up in all this some people are. Some have gone to great lengths to scientifically prove there theories with video & audio evidence. :rolleyes:    Anyway the favorites seem to be Glen or Abraham, with a side of Aaron. 

Now here's a kicker for ya. It seems that someone leaked the schedule for season 7.

Episode 1: Morgan & Carol's story

Episode 2: Negan's rise to power. 90 minutes

Episode 3: We finally find out who got whacked. 

So it looks like the producers wanna leave the fans hanging for a little while longer. Not the first time they've ended an episode on a cliffhanger only to wait a couple of weeks before giving the answer.  :waiting:

Interesting train of thought. I don't buy into the hair theory,but the rest is very rational.

Very interesting analysis. Logically thought out. And possible. Maybe even probable.

But when have the writers and staff of TWD ever been known to make it easy on us.

Watched all the linked interviews as well. Really enjoyed them.

• Like 1

Hmmm.

I don't remember Glenn being in the kill room in Terminus.  I remember it being Rick and Daryl on their knees in front of the trough with a couple of 'no name' dudes who were 'ahead' of them in line and bought it before Rick and Daryl made their move.  IIRC, the others in Rick's group were still in the 'holding pen' train car at the time.  Can't say that for sure, though.

Randall53...good points and well thought and explained. But I sure hope you are wrong.

Jab...also a good interpretation of the situation, and I personally think you have the plan.

Grayfox54...we are in agreement on Darryl's value to the show.

I've watched from Episode 1. Liked and disliked it at different points for different reasons, mainly Rick on both. I just really don't like Rick. Can't give you a concrete reason, he just sort of irritates the crap out of me.

But, since he is, and has been from the first, the central character of the show, and it's all been pretty much the evolution of Rick throughout the show; I don't see Rick being bludgeoned, gutted, or used as a softball just yet. Perhaps a little further down the line...

As for Darryl, he's a great character, and as all say, a fan favorite. Right up there with Carol. But I don't think he can carry the show as the lead character. jmo

So, I think it pretty much has to be Glenn.

Or maybe not. lol

Not really a comic book spoiler:

Speaking about the comic (iirc, it was before there even was a TWD television show) Kirkman indicated that this is a story about a zombie 'apocalypse'.  In the beginning, he said that no character is truly 'safe' (at least in the comic) and that he wasn't sure which characters might die before it was over with.  He even specifically said even though the story is largely told from Rick's point of view or with Rick as the central character (especially in the earlier issues) that he wasn't sure that even Rick wouldn't die at some point, perhaps with the story shifting to a different 'focal character.'  Personally, I have always had a feeling that the comic will ultimately turn out to be Carl's story, not Rick's, and that Rick will either die or just sort of fade to the background at some point along the way.  I don't think it is Rick's time to die on the show yet, however.

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

In the comics, Negan appears in issue 100.  By that point, Rick has already lost a hand (the Governor cut off Rick's hand the very first time they met before there were even any hostilities between the two groups.)  Rick has also been shot twice by the time Negan shows up.  In the course of the war with the Saviors, Rick gets shot at least one more time (with a crossbow - you can guess by who.)  He also gets his leg broken and it heals so badly that he needs a cane to walk and will pretty much be walking with a cane for the rest of his life.  Running from walkers?  Yeah, not so much.  In fact, there is even a point where he comes out and says that when it comes to actively attacking and fighting groups of walkers he (Rick) is a liability.  In the comics he is having to accept that his role is now much more that of a 'political' leader and no longer that of one of the main fighters of the group.

Edited by JAB