Hornady Says “We Change Everything – 10/27/15”

Man, I was hoping they were going to announce some huge improvement to Critical Defense ammo - to the point that it might be a completely different animal - or maybe that they had created easily and reliably reloadable .22 LR and .22 WMR ammo that could be reloaded safely and inexpensively.  Now THAT would change everything.  Bullets that maintain polymer tip integrity at ranges that are four times that of the longest range I to which I have access?  Meh.

A solution to a problem they didn't know existed?

I heard that and my first thought was, "Is that like an answer to a question no one asked?"

I would be willing to try a box of them if prices stay around 50 bucks for 100.  Not as earth shattering as I had hoped, but maybe they will shoot really really really good and have really really really good terminal performance down to 1500 fps or so.  

.308 cal 220 grain with a G7 of .325 vs Berger .308 230 grain with a G7 of .364 is sorta close.    

I suppose I can retire the Sinclair Meplat Trimmer now, or not.

This. Perfectly uniform meplats will make the long range boys happy. Not many of us have meplat trimmers. Personally, I'll use those bullets in my Grendels.

And BTW... trimming the meplat always lowers the BC a little. Look at the BC's on those new bullets

Edited by mikegideon

This. Perfectly uniform meplats will make the long range boys happy. Not many of us have meplat trimmers. Personally, I'll use those bullets in my Grendels.

And BTW... trimming the meplat always lowers the BC a little. Look at the BC's on those new bullets

You are correct, Meplat trimming does reduce the BC, the number crunchers put it at a 2% reduction on average.  The BC's for the ballistic tip match grade bullets are better. The whole meplat trimming thing is to uniform the bullets to maintain consistency.  The way I see it is that meplat trimming is a less expensive way to achieve the same result as the new heat resistant ballistic tips.  The Hornady revelation was that BC's were reducing at longer ranges as the polymer tips were eroding from heat caused by friction. whether it's heat resistant ballistic tipped or meplat trimmed you have maintained bullet uniformity from muzzle to impact.  I don't really get caught up in choosing bullets based on the best BC available. Yes it matters but if the bullets are uniform and you keep them supersonic to impact you will get consistent results.  Yes, long range paper punchers do get caught up in this kind of stuff and their opinions vary widely,  they are always looking for something to give them an edge and Hornady knows that.

I like how they invented a process that molds polymer 100% precise every time :rolleyes: , now maybe all that imported junk we buy out of plastic will always be 100% precise in the future too.  

Don't be comparing polymer to plastic.  It kind of ruffle the feathers of some when you start telling them they shoot a plastic guns.

• Like 1

Don't be comparing polymer to plastic.  It kind of ruffle the feathers of some when you start telling them they shoot a plastic guns.

Dully noted.

I like how they invented a process that molds polymer 100% precise every time  :rolleyes: , now maybe all that imported junk we buy out of plastic polymer will always be 100% precise in the future too.