ObamaCare Rate Increase

NextExit

Anyone else get a notice about their premiums going up?  I did.  Going up 37% starting Jan '16. :rant: :mad:

It says I should go to HealthCare(dot)gov and compare plans to find something cheaper.  Problem is, their website is down..... typical government :poop:

Anyone else get a notice about their premiums going up?  I did.  Going up 37% starting Jan '16. :rant: :mad:

It says I should go to HealthCare(dot)gov and compare plans to find something cheaper.  Problem is, their website is down..... typical government :poop:

You won't be able to view new plans until the "open enrollment" period begins.  That's supposed to be tomorrow, Nov. 1st, but let's face it, it will be closer to a week later when the site isn't a mess. Dec 15th is the last day to enroll for the policy to start on Jan. 1st, 2016.

The premium is going up on my current plan.  As a percentage it's 37%, but in actual numbers it's going from $141-193, so compared to others, it's lower.  I'll shop around for new plans, but since Tennessee didn't take the Medicare expansion, the options will be limited for my budget.

Right now since I'm single and relatively young, I have the "bronze" plan, which is basically emergency coverage, with me paying for office visits, medications, ect.  I'll see at tax time if I get any kind of credits, or what not.

You won't be able to view new plans until the "open enrollment" period begins.  That's supposed to be tomorrow, Nov. 1st, but let's face it, it will be closer to a week later when the site isn't a mess. Dec 15th is the last day to enroll for the policy to start on Jan. 1st, 2016.

The premium is going up on my current plan.  As a percentage it's 37%, but in actual numbers it's going from $141-193, so compared to others, it's lower.  I'll shop around for new plans, but since Tennessee didn't take the Medicare expansion, the options will be limited for my budget.

Right now since I'm single and relatively young, I have the "bronze" plan, which is basically emergency coverage, with me paying for office visits, medications, ect.  I'll see at tax time if I get any kind of credits, or what not.

I use a broker that I've had for years and she already has our information and premium for next year ready to enter. She just can't enter it until Nov 1. 

Premiums going up?  Heck Fox News this morning had a statistic that health care plan annual deductibles average for everyone in the country have went up more than 80% since Obamacare was implemented.

So now do you not only get to pay quadruple for your insurance premiums, your annual deductibles are almost at the point of being doubled as well.

Edited by Sam1

Premiums going up?  Heck Fox News this morning had a statistic that health care plan annual deductibles average for everyone in the country have went up more than 80% since Obamacare was implemented.

So now do you not only get to pay quadruple for your insurance premiums, your annual deductibles are almost at the point of being doubled as well.

Tell me.  I kept my old plan up until they dropped me.  They tried to get me to sign up but when I saw the premiums & deductibles, I said I'll wait.

So now my premium is double and my deductible is triple what I had under my old "non compliant" plan.   At this rate, my premium will be higher than my mortgage in a few years. :eek:

We were told by the right that this was going to happen and we let this fool have another 4yrs.

Personally I've lost seeing my regular doctor and had prescriptions canceled as well as the rate increases already mentioned.

Guess we will just have to deal with it.

No thanks to our state insurance commissioner:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us/politics/many-may-find-unpleasant-surprise-on-healthcaregov-high-rate-increases.html

BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee said the 36 percent rate increase was necessary because it had lost money on its marketplace business after underestimating the use of health care by its new customers.

seriously?? :shake:

• Like 1

Not sure on Gordon's insurance experience (think most of his was covered via employer due to OTJ injury), but outside of him I would say I'm the resident expert on medical billing around here from the patient side of things (pushing upwards of $850,000 worth of procedures now since 2011)

Before this stuff kicked off, I had multiple $30k+ cardiac surgeries (EP studies/ablations) done at Vandy.  Total out of pocket cost which included the surgeon, the surgery room and a one night stay at the hilton hospital and all the meds/supplies, was $375 each visit.  Last year they implanted a small loop recorder right under the skin in my chest, about the size of a triple A battery and they didn't even knock me out for it.  Just pulled me into a regular patient room, shot me up with some of that twilight med that only worked for about 20 minutes, popped it in and I was out of there in 60 minutes.  A month later I get a bill for nearly $2,000.  Thinking it was a mistake I had them audit it, nope it was no mistake.  Obamacared so much about me that the changes required me to pay 50% of the cost of that implant device. That is more than my total hip replacement, two cardiac surgeries, removal of two plates in my forearm, one plate in my wrist, and the removal of a rod from my femur, replacing that with a plate, a bone graft and replacing the hinge in my hip (few years before the total replacement) COMBINED.

Now I'm getting close to the point where the doc is considering doing the knee replacement and it's the first time I've contemplated getting something done until it's absolutely necessary.  Can't wait to see what kind of hurt that is going to put on me.

Just got done searching the available plans and everything is up... premiums, deductibles, out of pocket. :angry:

I found only one comparable plan, thru a different company, that will be $60 cheaper than my new premium.  Only problem is it says "No national provider network."  Not a problem I guess if I don't require any medical attention in a state that isn't covered.  Thought ObamaCare was supposed to give coverage to everyone, everywhere? :shrug:

My wife works for a very large company and I have been on her insurance for years, as it is a better plan and costs less than where I work. After the first of the year those family members that have insurance available to them at another job can stay on the plan; but at a higher rate.

Obama assured us Obama care would not impact those that already had insurance. He knew he was lying when he said it. So now those that don’t work get a lot better health care and those that do work get to pay a lot more.
  • Like 3

I heard another urban myth regarding the ACA; if your employer pays any premium, that amount (or a percentage) becomes taxable income.

From the IRS website:

The Affordable Care Act requires employers to report the cost of coverage under an employer-sponsored group health plan. Reporting the cost of health care coverage on the Form W-2 does not mean that the coverage is taxable. The value of the employer’s excludable contribution to health coverage continues to be excludable from an employee's income, and it is not taxable. This reporting is for informational purposes only and will provide employees useful and comparable consumer information on the cost of their health care coverage.

• Like 2

From the IRS website:

The Affordable Care Act requires employers to report the cost of coverage under an employer-sponsored group health plan. Reporting the cost of health care coverage on the Form W-2 does not mean that the coverage is taxable. The value of the employer’s excludable contribution to health coverage continues to be excludable from an employee's income, and it is not taxable. This reporting is for informational purposes only and will provide employees useful and comparable consumer information on the cost of their health care coverage.

Yea, were from the Government and were here to help you. :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :puke:

Just found out the Gov't site doesn't show everything.  It shows United Health Care only has 8 plans.  I went to UHC site and it says 17 plans are available and some a lot better than the plans on the Gov't site.  Think I'll make a call tomorrow to UHC and see what the deal is.  :squint:

everybody knew this was going to happen.  but the butt heads in dc did nothing to stop it when they could.  we keep voting in the same crap, so we get crap.  until we get some new people in dc it is not going to get any better.  just pull out your billfold and pay.