Question about Tennessee Law

Spiffy

I'm pretty sure if you are in public someone could take whatever pictures they want. Only recourse I can imagine is if it turns into libel/slander ( I can never remember which is written and which is verbal), or defamation of character or what not.

I'm sure an actual attorney or law guy will be along soon. I'm just guessing.

Nope. Totally legal to take people's pictures in a public location and post them online so long as you aren't selling them directly or using them for profit for profit. IE you can post to facebook but were you utilizing the picture in an advertisement on facebook for your talent agency you'd need the subject's permission.

Yes you can take photos of strangers without their permission in a public place. I don't think Walmart is considered a public place.

Wal-mart has opened their stores to the public. That's why you don't need a membership or an invite to shop there. Now Wal-mart(or a wal-mart employee) could ask you to stop taking pictures or ask you to leave since it is their property and they can set their own rules for the general public to follow while on property.

As long as the person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy then their picture may be taken.  IE it would be legal to take a picture from the street of someone's home because you can walk by on the street and see anything that you would be taking a picture of.  I'm not saying that it would be wise to do so or that you won't get your @$$ kicked but it's the law. 

As a new viewer of FB, I heartily believe it is pure trash. Good for two things only.

1 Long distance communication between friends and family

2 Enforcing the "me, me first and look at me" mindset.

I have used it for number one, and laugh at those of number 2

Ok...maybe it isn't strictly 2 things, but it's darn close to that. And has contributed to the erosion of character, morality, and the ability to speak and write as we old farts were taught in school.

• Like 2

Ok...I'll bite....why are you taking pictures of random people and why are you putting them on facebook?  If you took my picture at walmart and put it on facebook I would be very curious as to why you did it!  Unless I was some kind of celibraty

• Moderators

Ok...I'll bite....why are you taking pictures of random people and why are you putting them on facebook? If you took my picture at walmart and put it on facebook I would be very curious as to why you did it! Unless I was some kind of celibraty

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com

Edit:Ads potentially NSFW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1

Ok...I'll bite....why are you taking pictures of random people and why are you putting them on facebook?  If you took my picture at walmart and put it on facebook I would be very curious as to why you did it!  Unless I was some kind of celibraty

There's a facebook group called Knoxville Crime.  People have been taking pics and posting them of "suspicious" people.  Hookers, would be johns and the like. I knew it was legal to take pictures in public it was just the posting of them I fuzzy on. 

I'm pretty sure if you are in public someone could take whatever pictures they want. Only recourse I can imagine is if it turns into libel/slander ( I can never remember which is written and which is verbal), or defamation of character or what not.

I'm sure an actual attorney or law guy will be along soon. I'm just guessing.

What kind of dog humping, inbred moron are you nightrunner?  That was slander.  If I had said it out loud it would have been libel.   :rofl:

• Like 1

What kind of dog humping, inbred moron are you nightrunner?  That was slander.  If I had said it out loud it would have been libel.   :rofl:

You got that backwards. Libel is in print while slander is verbal, you ignorant toothless hillbilly.

Edited by monkeylizard
Doesn't the law protect children and invalids in nursing homes? I recall two cases that resulted in arrests a year ago. First, was a perv guy taking photos of kids at the water park in Sevierville, and second was of a couple nursing home AIDS that posted pictures of their patients. Both were convicted if memory serves me.

As long as the person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy then their picture may be taken. IE it would be legal to take a picture from the street of someone's home because you can walk by on the street and see anything that you would be taking a picture of. I'm not saying that it would be wise to do so or that you won't get your @$$ kicked but it's the law.

If you can see it from a place where you are allowed to enter without having to obtain permission, you can shoot video or photo at your discretion best rule of thumb is to never ever shoot in a bathroom or the bedroom where a person always has a reasonable expectation of privacy.