How Many Magazines?

With all the panic buying over magazines this weekend, I figure it's a good time to open a discussion on just how many magazines you think is a good number for each weapon.  No right or wrong answer, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions on this.

For me, the personal rule of thumb is ~15x AR magazines (currently have a mix of PMags and old GI Mags), three mags for my plinker .22LR, and around five magazines per pistol since I've seen those needing replacement the most.  Reason being, I want a decent capacity, but don't want to get too pack rat like if it's time to move somewhere, especially dismounted.  Ammo got heavy fast when it was on my gear overseas, and that was when I was in much better shape.

But that's me...how about you guys

6 is a minimum for a pistol. 10 is a minimum for a rifle. I want to be able to at least refill my magazine pouches and chest rig at least twice. That's my bare minimum.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Interesting ratio of primary to backup.  Even overseas, I never carried more than two pistol mags, the one inside the pistol included. Most mags I've ever carried on me for a rifle was nine, but I had more in a bag back in the truck.

One in the gun and two in the mag pouch. That's just my opinion because I've never been overseas or had people shooting at me. I'm sure my opinion would change if I was downrange.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there is no answer...and nobody I've ever known has complained about having too much ammo after taking contact.  But the weight matters when you're on the move, and if it's pistol or rifle rounds, I'm taking rifle every time.  There is also a difference in what you're carrying on your person with your kit and what you're carrying in a bag where the weight is distributed for easier carry.

• Like 1

I have wrangled with this question as well.  My AR mags are settled.  I didn't realize how many PMAGS I ordered during the great panic of 2012/2013 until late into 2013.  I am embarrassed to announce, lets just say many many 50 caliber ammo cans I have are filled with many many PMAGS.  If you know how many fit still in the wrapper, then you can guess what I have.  Handgun mags, I have always tried to have at least 5 each, but I don't know if that is the threshold or the beginning of the journey.

Edited by runco

Oh, don't get me wrong, there is no answer...and nobody I've ever known has complained about having too much ammo after taking contact. But the weight matters when you're on the move, and if it's pistol or rifle rounds, I'm taking rifle every time. There is also a difference in what you're carrying on your person with your kit and what you're carrying in a bag where the weight is distributed for easier carry.

I understand exactly what you're saying. My thought is if I have to dump my rifle and the rest of my gear I'll at least have a pistol and hopefully three mags.

I've just ended up buying magazines if I see a good price on them, not so much as a panic thing.

That's what I've done as well.  Usually, I add a PMag or two to an order since I'm already on the hook for shipping costs anyway for something else I'm buying.  Even one at a time, they've added up to a comfortable level with as much as I'm buying from Primary Arms and PSA.

Pistol mags are harder, since I've always had a Walther and soon a VP9.  One of the biggest selling points for me on Glocks (though I don't have one...yet) are the prices on mags from mass production. 

Edited by btq96r

That's what I've done as well.  Usually, I add a PMag or two to an order since I'm already on the hook for shipping costs anyway for something else I'm buying.  Even one at a time, they've added up to a comfortable level with as much as I'm buying from Primary Arms and PSA.

Makes sense to me. Seems like every time I go to one store here they have the Pmags really cheap so I'll pick up one or two when I'm in.

i have 6 AR mags on my rig with an additional 4 in the can. 3 pistol mags with one of those being a 32rd mag. The AK has 6 30 rounders with 5 40 rounders. I would like to have maybe 20 of both AR and AK mags with another 2 or 3 pistol mags. I'm working on another AR build so I will order a few more mags for that gun when it gets close to being done. 

3 mags for handgun, with the exception of 1911, since carry mags and range mags are different.  I don't believe in a necessity of having more magazines than I can reasonably carry.  I would say 10 rifle mags per rifle, and that's including go bag mags.  I don't see the benefit of having 15, 20, 30 mags jammed like I often see.  I can promise you that a gun fight which necessitates 20 rifle mags is one you won't survive long enough to use them all.

I share about 18 Pmags between 2 AR's and most of my Glocks are 9mm. I have 3 33 round mags and about 15 full size (glock 17) mags all in gen 4 so they run in all my pistols. My EDC is a G19 with the 15 rounder and 1 or 2 G17 mags. Always buying more though. And all of them are factory mags. I don't like the aftermarket stuff.

And call me crazy but I am contemplating making a chest rig for winter carry under my coat for 2 33 round mags. One vertical under each arm so they counter balance one another. The times we are in now, why not? Of course that would only be for "special occasions". Edited by glowdotGlock
Another consideration to take is how do you carry them. And practicing with said method.

I know dudes love running plate carriers or battle belts, or couplers or other wierd high speed CAG Operator techniques.

I personally shove things in my pockets. I guess I would wear my plate carrier if some stuff went down - but that is not for everyone.

Ammo gets heavy, in a dismounted situation if I were to carry a rifle, 7 mags, my Glock 20 with 3 mags weapons and ammo alone is nearing 15-20 pounds plus my plates and ruck full of crap and more ammo.

You can tell when people just buy that stuff on a whim, I see heroes in full kit at MCSC all the time and they move around like pregnant whales - spending 400 on a chest rig doesnt make you an Operator same goes for drop leg ammo bandoliers and Gunfighter helmets.

My $0.02, baby is asleep and I felt like venting. Yall know me and my hate of everything tactical

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

There's panic buying on mags again?  Looks like I've missed something ...

I think there was a small scale panic due to the advanced notice of Obama doing an "unprecedented" speech.  I expect another small scale panic around September/October when the Democrats pull one of their classic dirty tricks out before the election. 

• Administrator

The flaw is assuming that the mags we all buy are to be carried all at once.  Mags are consumable items.  Eventually they break, wear out, get lost, etc.  If you cannot buy them later, you cannot have enough of them right now.

• Like 6

It's probably time to grab a couple of these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/719525/magpul-pmag-d-60-drum-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-60-round-polymer-black

The older I get, the more I appreciate the little things that make liberals piss their Dockers. I'm thinking Magpul may have had that in the back of their minds too. We know they gotta hate liberals almost as much as me. :)

• Like 1

It's probably time to grab a couple of these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/719525/magpul-pmag-d-60-drum-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-60-round-polymer-black

The older I get, the more I appreciate the little things that make liberals piss their Dockers. I'm thinking Magpul may have had that in the back of their minds too. We know they gotta hate liberals almost as much as me. :)

I don't need it but I really like that