Main reason for your gun, guns?

MWD9557

Guns for Defense, Pleasure, Collecting, or?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Main reason for your gun, guns? (you can pick more than 1)

• Self Defense
    • Pleasure of shooting, for sport
    • Collect as a hobby
    • To sell
    • Hunting
    • Military or Law Enforcement
    • Specified a reason not listed

As to the guns...

I grew up hunting which turned into target and sport shooting. Then got a pistol when I was old enough for fun shooting, which turned into defensive use, then I found TGO and now it includes collecting as well. Some guns I have purely because I like the way they look. Granted, I do shoot them from time to time as well. I also like having some around for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, but I guess that goes along with defense.
  • Like 1

Oh, I've got more poses for you. This show doesn't have to be over yet.

:panic: .........you mean there are more????? Gosh!!! I just showed that one to Kasey and she went and hid under a.. :hiding:  .................... :shrug:  

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2
I've had a life long infatuation with them. I,ve had one or three around since I was a teenager and once I got to TN from Ca, I just went a little ham on getting some of the things I would just wistfully wish for back there. I've always been a collector, but it never dawned on me to collect guns until after the first dozen. By the second I was dyed in the wool.

I guess the main reason for my love of them though stems from the men of influence in my childhood. My father had guns for work, my grandfather and uncle for hunting. Owning a gun/s for me seemed as natural a part of being a man as having keys, a car and a job. It wasn't questioned, it just was part of the program.
  • Like 1

Liberals piss me off. Guns piss liberals off. Any questions? :)

Self defense, just enjoy shooting AND, because sanctimonious elitist liberals don't want me to have one. Actually that should be the most important reason, to exercise our Constitutional rights, to spite those who wish to destroy traditional America. That's why I love hearing that when the "traitors" start screaming about trampling the 2nd Amendment there are record numbers of gun sales, the people giving them the big finger.

• Like 3

Self defense, just enjoy shooting AND, because sanctimonious elitist liberals don't want me to have one. Actually that should be the most important reason, to exercise our Constitutional rights, to spite those who wish to destroy traditional America. That's why I love hearing that when the "traitors" start screaming about trampling the 2nd Amendment there are record numbers of gun sales, the people giving them the big finger.

Libpiss_zpswxhkyniq.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a new compared to all of you. Monkey had a permit and an dec when we met and I thought he was nuts. I never had any experience at all with them. That has obviously changed now. While we purchase with the intent of self defense, range time is always in the back of my head. I love it. And I think it makes it a fun "hobby" for us to do together. 

That is up until he started liking guns I had that he didn't. Now it's an all out competition in this house about who has what and all that. I have to bribe him to leave me alone by making trips to Knoxville for Bourbon and GT has seen some business for me. I keep thinkinging if I bribe give him enough great gifts, that I might be able to get that Dan Wesson I have had my eye on.

• Like 2

I grew up on various military bases and was raised around some serious hardware...been around them all my life so when my GrandPa gave me my first .22 rifle it was not an earth shaking event. When my Uncle gave me his old 12 ga. no one in the family batted an eye. I hunted with cousins, took girls out on target shooting dates (to weed out the weird ones) and scared the halflife out of a kid trying to be a burglar.....so I picked 3 options. I remember being on Ft. Benning, with my Dad, during a live fire exercise just grinning like a fool when the M60 tanks lit up.....good times.

• Like 1

The most obvious answer of course would be for defensive purposes. But I grew up in a rural area in the 50's and early 60's, so hunting was their primary use then.

Same here. Never owned what you would class as a self defense gun 'til I was grown, actually 'til I was out of the Army. Thing was, at the time, I belonged to a rescue squad in Westmoreland. During the big flood of '69, we went to Red Boiling springs, which had heavy flooding. Went there looking for bodies + guard patrol. About 3 AM, shot were fired up on the hill. At what or who, never knew. Bought a Colt 38 next day. Roiugh day. Got a new respect for the power of water.

• Like 1

first gun I ever bought was because I thought guns were cool.

I went to China Town, ( think walmart back in the 70's) bought a Model 60.  I went with buddies and we drank beer, smoked weed and shot down a tree. It was great fun. No one did anything stupid, there were other .22 rifles and we felled a small tree.  It really is a great memory. 

Later I got infatuated with a real gun. So I bought a revolver. A .44 Navy way back in the day through Gander Mountain.  Mail order pistol.  It was the coolest thing to shoot. Mailed a check, they sent me a pistol.  How good does it get, the hand cannon.

Since then I have found other reasons to have firearms.  But basically it still boils down to gun are cool.

• Like 6

Although when I moved from CA to rural PA for a year there was very little to do and well their I was introduced to hunting.  I did it the one session and got a 30/30 for Christmas.  However we moved from PA to Urban MD and never returned to hunting again.  Never actually fired that 30/30 it took more then 20 years before I was finally able to fire it.  Oct 2012 me and my mother were watching one of those Discovery channel gun shows and they were shooting and it looked like fun so I suggested lets look into going out and tiring that out.  Since she doesn't move well at the time required the use of a walker she suggest I go and try it out if it was fun then she would join me.  It only took me going out once.  I rented a bunch of guns and bought ammo from the range.  I was hooked.  In under a year I went from 1 30/30 that was never fired to 14 guns and was out at the range 3 to 4 times a months.  Granted my collection is small compared to many here but I have a pretty good sampling of what is out there.  Once you have a gun in your home you realize how much better you feel knowing it is there if you need it.  Since I was living in the People Republic of Maryland getting a HCP was out of the question but I did get a Utah and have used it to carry in other states I just moved to TN this year and am in the process of getting a TN HCP.

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1

first gun I ever bought was because I thought guns were cool.

I went to China Town, ( think walmart back in the 70's) bought a Model 60.  I went with buddies and we drank beer, smoked weed and shot down a tree. It was great fun. No one did anything stupid, there were other .22 rifles and we felled a small tree.  It really is a great memory. 

Later I got infatuated with a real gun. So I bought a revolver. A .44 Navy way back in the day through Gander Mountain.  Mail order pistol.  It was the coolest thing to shoot. Mailed a check, they sent me a pistol.  How good does it get, the hand cannon.

Since then I have found other reasons to have firearms.  But basically it still boils down to gun are cool.

I'm sure there is an age difference between us Mike, but your story reminds me a LOT of my late teenage/early twenties years. Me and a few buddies would load up (in every sense of the word) and spend all day shooting up yuca plants in the desert. Those little buggers are in the ground good, but a 7.62x39 or 12guage double aught will get em jumping good. :D
  • Like 1

I just like them!

Ultimately, that's why I have more than just a few.  Just like the feel and look of them, the engineering, the power, the well ... seriousness of them. Throw in consideration of periodic firearm related market panics and Crash prep, and there ya go.

And I can at least use them with at least the equivalent proficiency of golfing in the high 70's from the back tees, which I can't do with the sticks any more. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1