Navy SEALs switching to Glock 19?

bowtieguy

I'd say thst might play a small part, but I suspect that the main reason is performance in the field. SO Units tend to get what they want regardless of budget concerns. My guess is the SEALS like and want these.

Just don't expect to see them any time soon in regular units. The Regular Army and Marine Corp tend to gollow tgd philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ehen it comes to weapons. The next service pistol will not be much different than the Beratta, an all steel pistol with a hammer and a manual safety.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-navy-seals-may-have-selected-a-new-pistol-of-choice-1749620057

Any body else read this? Thoughts?

I love glocks, carry them, shoot them, give them as gifts (to family). But can't help but wonder if SEALs switching isn't more about cost than anything.

It may be cost but I'd sure as hell rather tote a Glock over a Sig. The Sig is a big, heavy firearm. I can't think of any benefit to the Sig honestly.

• Like 1

Over on some other sites, glocks have been used by certain seal teams for years.  I believe this latest decision was more budgetary and good lobbying by glock.   I like both, prefer Sig, but Glock will do. 

I have said it before, Sig is like taking the trophy date to the prom, but Glock is the ugly one.  No worry, both will put out when needed. 

• Like 6
SOF guys have been using Glocks for a little bit. The CIF teams at 5th use Glock 22s (which is stupid. They should use 10mm).

Hell...most SOF guys pack what they want, I did some training with ST10 in Eglin and I remember some of those frogs carrying 1911s.

The Glock 19 is smart - lightweight, very accurate, good ammo capacity, compact, and probably wouldnt fail after being submerged.

Granted a Glock 20 would be better but not even Seals are that tough apparently.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Never thought I would be saying this, but I would definitely go with a Glock over the Sig either for my personal defense or if I were a Seal.  I suspect the Seals get what they want.  Everything I have ever read indicates that budget isn't an issue for them.

SOF guys have been using Glocks for a little bit. The CIF teams at 5th use Glock 22s (which is stupid. They should use 10mm).

Hell...most SOF guys pack what they want, I did some training with ST10 in Eglin and I remember some of those frogs carrying 1911s.

The Glock 19 is smart - lightweight, very accurate, good ammo capacity, compact, and probably wouldnt fail after being submerged.

Granted a Glock 20 would be better but not even Seals are that tough apparently.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

You know...I'm beginning to suspect you have an affinity for the 10mm. lol

• Like 2

I'd say thst might play a small part, but I suspect that the main reason is performance in the field. SO Units tend to get what they want regardless of budget concerns. My guess is the SEALS like and want these.

Just don't expect to see them any time soon in regular units. The Regular Army and Marine Corp tend to gollow tgd philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ehen it comes to weapons. The next service pistol will not be much different than the Beratta, an all steel pistol with a hammer and a manual safety.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-navy-seals-may-have-selected-a-new-pistol-of-choice-1749620057

Any body else read this? Thoughts?

I love glocks, carry them, shoot them, give them as gifts (to family). But can't help but wonder if SEALs switching isn't more about cost than anything.

Cool! I suppose the fact that the glocks are 'ready to shoot' with light trigger pull and safety in the trigger itself must certainly play a role in the choice. I agree with Moped, this is likely not because of a budget restrraint.

My eyes about detached from the roll I just did after reading that.

Lmao. Didn't MARSOC include 19's in the issue inventory? They were just showcasing the Colt 1911's they ordered when I got out in 2012, and not long after I saw articles saying they were adding Glock 19's to the inventory of regularly issued firearms. As mentioned, just about every Special Operations type I ran in to carried a wide range of gear depending on mission, availability and personal preference

Sent from behind the anvil

Lmao. Didn't MARSOC include 19's in the issue inventory? They were just showcasing the Colt 1911's they ordered when I got out in 2012, and not long after I saw articles saying they were adding Glock 19's to the inventory of regularly issued firearms. As mentioned, just about every Special Operations type I ran in to carried a wide range of gear depending on mission, availability and personal preference

Sent from behind the anvil

Yeah they did.

Never been a big Glock fan, but the G19 makes a ton of sense for this application.  These guys spend most of their "fun time" with a rifle, and already ridiculously overburdened with gear (comms, demo, medical stuff... you name it.  A smallish, light pistol that handles abuse well is a good fit.

If all you're doing is killing people, why would you need/want more than a Glock 19??? I mean, they ARE seals after all. They could kill most any human in the lower 98 percentile with a stick or a rock.
The 19 is more than sufficient.
I carry one, does that mean I'm a kickass army seal recon operator now? Edited by Caster

Having carried various handguns for a wage in some pretty odd places, I still carry my Keltec 32 98% of the time here in the wild west of Clarksville, TN .  The rest of you must hang out in some pretty bad geography at bad times of day without hyper vigilance tendencies.  You guys make me think that it must be like where you live, "Oh sh..., all of a sudden there is a platoon of bad guys surrounding me who want to torture and kill me who are armed with AKs, I need a bazooka..... or a .45ACP, the raygun of handguns:)!

• Like 1

Having carried various handguns for a wage in some pretty odd places, I still carry my Keltec 32 98% of the time here in the wild west of Clarksville, TN . The rest of you must hang out in some pretty bad geography at bad times of day without hyper vigilance tendencies. You guys make me think that it must be like where you live, "Oh sh..., all of a sudden there is a platoon of bad guys surrounding me who want to torture and kill me who are armed with AKs, I need a bazooka..... or a .45ACP, the raygun of handguns:)!

I live in Smyrna now, don't like living in town, but had to follow the money till I can afford to build a home out of town and afford the commute. In Smyrna or especially Nashville, I can imagine something like San Bernadino happening or similar. Here in town, I am uncomfortable walking around without a G19 sized or larger handgun. I grew up in the country outside Manchester. I'd be comfortable with a 5 shot snub and nothing else. I know nearly everyone there and very familiar with the surroundings. I just don't trust people not to go full retard around here nowadays

Because you could picture some 5'4" 350lb balding mouth breather standing behind a counter saying it couldn't you?

...Maybe

Glock already has a loyal (read rabid) fan base. Now every idiot behind the counter is going to be saying Glock is the only gun to buy because the Seals use them. Edited by gjohnsoniv