Navy SEALs switching to Glock 19?

bowtieguy

• Moderators

Having carried various handguns for a wage in some pretty odd places, I still carry my Keltec 32 98% of the time here in the wild west of Clarksville, TN . The rest of you must hang out in some pretty bad geography at bad times of day without hyper vigilance tendencies. You guys make me think that it must be like where you live, "Oh sh..., all of a sudden there is a platoon of bad guys surrounding me who want to torture and kill me who are armed with AKs, I need a bazooka..... or a .45ACP, the raygun of handguns:)!

I live in Memphis. :P
  • Like 6

What a slap in the face to American industry. The M&P is just as good, if not better, a firearm as the Glock and it's made in America. I've never heard anyone complain about the trigger either.

If we were talking about conventional troops, I might agree that the M&P could be a better choice for equipping American troops with American made equipment that meets a technical requirement for the purpose of buying domestic.

But were talking about an SOF element here.  These guys don't always live on the flowing side of the supply chain for spare parts or replacements, thus having a rugged pistol such as the Glock (which I consider light years more durable than the M&P), along with a chance to appropriate said spare parts via local means can count for a lot.

• Like 1

What a slap in the face to American industry. The M&P is just as good, if not better, a firearm as the Glock and it's made in America. I've never heard anyone complain about the trigger either.

Ha, well where do you think we get so many of our other small arms from? Many of our machine guns, sniper weapons, antitank weapons are foreign made. My first M16 was made by FN.

What a slap in the face to American industry. The M&P is just as good, if not better

Generally, "U.S. made" hasn't been a major consideration in the choice of the military's sidearm, as it shouldn't be. You want them to have the best performing one from their test criteria.

As far as Glock vs M&P, I'm not a Glock fan and don't have any. I do have a couple of M&P's. If I was given the choice of which one to carry in a military environment, I'd chose the Glock. I believe it would be more reliable in adverse conditions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

.....I can imagine something like San Bernadino happening or similar. ...... I just don't trust people not to go full retard around here nowadays

I have to agree w/ this sentiment, sad but true.

I lived in Western NY for the last 41 years, things are different up there (gun laws, people are still just as retarded).

We had a house in a farming-town of 5k people (apple orchards and corn fields on the shores of Lake Ontario in Hilton, NY). I always said, that if I didn't feel safe where I lived, I wouldn't arm myself, I'd MOVE!!!

(and here I am in semi-rural TN...)

Truth be told, it's been a creeping feeling over the last few years, but the recent incident w/ the camel-jockeys in CA and Paris, proves it! Doesn't matter if you're in a theater in small town Colorado, your kid's school, a college/university, at work, shopping at the mall, WHEREVER you go in this country, you have been put on notice by the enemy, THEY ARE HERE, MORE ARE COMING, THEY ARE PREPARING, THEY WILL DIE TRYING TO KILL AS MANY OF YOU AND ME AS THEY CAN!

If you know what day it's going to happen, give me a jingle in the morning. Until then, I'm going to carry to protect myself and my family.

- K

• Like 1
Usually units like that change based on actually want, it is shooters choice mostly regardless of what they officially issue.

But the M&P sucks flaming turds. Id rather carry a Glock 22 than a M&P anything.

Either way regardless of what they "officially" choose they will run what they want

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Usually units like that change based on actually want, it is shooters choice mostly regardless of what they officially issue.

Either way regardless of what they "officially" choose they will run what they want

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

This.

I'm betting the ones who want to have been using the G19 for awhile now. And the ones who don't want to still won't. I may be wrong but I think guys like SEALs get to use whatever they dang well please.

Let's not forget that Glocks are now being made in the US too. I realize it's not a American owned company but I'd be curious to know who the real shareholders are when it comes to S&W stock.

Yes they are. I bought two G19s (Gen 4s) this year, one made in Austria and the second stamped Made in the USA.

Repeating most of the comments, I think this is a good move. Accurate, durable, lightweight, great sidearm option.

Glocks being made in America is like Japanese cars being made in America.I'll bet the total man hours in American factory's is way less then the man hours spent in Japan on that so called American made car. The steel that used to be made in Northern Ohio is now made,,,, guess where? The cars that used to be made in Detroit are being made a lot farther South. One of the 5 major industries that kept Cincinnati Ohio alive [ GM Norwood ] is now in Mexico. D building at GE in Cincinnati used to be main production for all the jet engines that GE built. Now it's a warehouse. Somewhere in here I'm trying to make a point. America should be for Americans. Our export is nowhere near what it was when we had a dollar to spend. Import tax that the US is charging is nothing compared what to other countries are charging. So their products are cheaper for us to buy leaving our workers out on the street. Is it wrong? Damned right it is. But not if you believe in one world order and one world government.

I could go on with this rant but my blood pressure will go through the roof.

• Like 3

Glocks being made in America is like Japanese cars being made in America.I'll bet the total man hours in American factory's is way less then the man hours spent in Japan on that so called American made car. The steel that used to be made in Northern Ohio is now made,,,, guess where? The cars that used to be made in Detroit are being made a lot farther South. One of the 5 major industries that kept Cincinnati Ohio alive [ GM Norwood ] is now in Mexico. D building at GE in Cincinnati used to be main production for all the jet engines that GE built. Now it's a warehouse. Somewhere in here I'm trying to make a point. America should be for Americans. Our export is nowhere near what it was when we had a dollar to spend. Import tax that the US is charging is nothing compared what to other countries are charging. So their products are cheaper for us to buy leaving our workers out on the street. Is it wrong? Damned right it is. But not if you believe in one world order and one world government.

I could go on with this rant but my blood pressure will go through the roof.

So you said all of that to say that we should buy M&P over Glock? You might want to get on some blood pressure meds because I highly doubt any of our armed forces will be choosing M&P's (or any weapon for that matter) simply because they're American made.

I'm not saying I disagree with you about buying American made vs. foreign, but when it comes to protecting me and my family I'm going to buy and use the best tool for the job. I don't care if it's made on the moon. Edited by KKing