What type of purses are the ladies using?

I got my girlfriend a 9mm Shield and a HCP for Christmas. Now we're trying to figure out some carry options. The first thing she wants to concentrate on is a purse. Hopefully something that is both stylish and practical for carrying a firearm.

In my non-purse carrying mind, a purse that wouldn't also require an actual holster would be ideal. Maybe a built-in zippered pouch or something like that.

She was looking at some of the offerings on Amazon, and luckily she didn't buy the one that really caught her eye. We met some friends for dinner this evening, and the wife had recently purchased the very same purse. As it turns out, the zippered "pouches" that are meant for firearm concealment were far too small, even for the rather small Sig P290 she was carrying. In order for it to fit properly, the firearm had to be upside down.

Anyway, I'm interested in knowing what other females are using.

Thank you in advance.
  • Moderators

My wife has looked at purses online, in stores and gun shows and could never find something she really liked.  I saw some purses at Frontier Firearms in Kingston and thought she very well might like them.  I didn't get it because I wasn't 100 percent sure and didn't want to spend $60 since she had looked at so many.  On the way home I stopped at Guns & Leather in Lenoir City and he had the same purse for a little bit less and I thought it's Christmas why not.  I bought this one and she loves it.  Good size for any gun.  Zippers on both ends of purse so she can turn it either way.  Built in holster system that works well for her Walther P22 but can handle larger if needed.  Shes been carrying it for a couple of weeks now.  They have other colors so she is planning on getting them as well if it holds up to daily use well.

[url=http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/ggwilde/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/20151207_131712_zpskquzc37e.jpg.html]20151207_131712_zpskquzc37e.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/ggwilde/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/20151207_131716_zpsslo80sbq.jpg.html]20151207_131716_zpsslo80sbq.jpg[/URL]

Edited by ggwilde
  • Like 1

My wife has looked at purses online, in stores and gun shows and could never find something she really liked.  I saw some purses at Frontier Firearms in Kingston and thought she very well might like them.  I didn't get it because I wasn't 100 percent sure and didn't want to spend $60 since she had looked at so many.  On the way home I stopped at Guns & Leather in Lenoir City and he had the same purse for a little bit less and I thought it's Christmas why not.  I bought this one and she loves it.  ....

20151207_131712_zpskquzc37e.jpg

THanks for the info!

I took the wifey to FF (just down the road for us), let her pick out her concealed purse there, but she liked the smaller cross-body one (not the larger model pictured). Gave it to her Friday. Yesterday she loaded up for the first time....

It's either a gun-carrier, or a functional purse, but she swears the two are incompatible concurrently.

AND, she's got the Ruger LC9s... would never be able to carry anything larger in there. I would NOT recommend the smaller-model. Not that it isn't well constructed, just wasn't big enough for a gun, spare mag., AND the regular contents of her purse.

She works in Lenoir City, I'll have to send her to that store to see if there's something there she likes!

- K

First, I don't think purse carry is a good idea. On the body carry would be better.

That said, it seems to me the best approach would be to find a non-gun purse she likes with a zippered pocket big enough for a gun. Then, put the gun in a holster. Then, use Velcro on the holster and inside of purse to position the holster so it will present properly when unzipped. Get the type of Velcro where it has a tape-like backing and just tape it in place. 

The advantages are several, but one is that the gun can be removed from the purse without removing it from the holster, eliminating the risk of AD when removing the gun from purse to put in the glove box, bedside drawer, etc.

First, I don't think purse carry is a good idea. On the body carry would be better.

That said, it seems to me the best approach would be to find a non-gun purse she likes with a zippered pocket big enough for a gun. Then, put the gun in a holster. Then, use Velcro on the holster and inside of purse to position the holster so it will present properly when unzipped. Get the type of Velcro where it has a tape-like backing and just tape it in place. 

The advantages are several, but one is that the gun can be removed from the purse without removing it from the holster, eliminating the risk of AD when removing the gun from purse to put in the glove box, bedside drawer, etc.

On the body carry is definitely better, but if you can't get em to do that, purse carry beats unarmed in my opinion.

• Like 2

Yes, carrying on her person would be the best option. However, when certain clothing and locations prevent this from being a viable option, there is always the purse. As of right now, we're leaning towards the Crossbreed Purse Defender, for the times when purse carry is the only real option.  

She's having a difficult time finding an actual carry purse that fits her fancy. She thinks most of them are just plain ugly. For those times when she simply can't carry on her person, the Purse Defender looks to be a great option. We will look into that one a little more.

We had the same problem. Most of the gun purses are pretty ugly (according to my wife). Most women are going to put fashion over function.

She's been happy with the purse defender. We originally bought the small one but it didn't work with the purse my wife was carrying. We exchanged it for the full size purse defender and now it won't work with the new purse I got her for Christmas. So he's back to just carrying her p238 in a pocket holster inside the purse. It's not ideal but it's better than a sharp stick.

We had the same problem. Most of the gun purses are pretty ugly (according to my wife). Most women are going to put fashion over function.

She's been happy with the purse defender. We originally bought the small one but it didn't work with the purse my wife was carrying. We exchanged it for the full size purse defender and now it won't work with the new purse I got her for Christmas. So he's back to just carrying her p238 in a pocket holster inside the purse. It's not ideal but it's better than a sharp stick.

Just placed an order for the large one. If she finds that this will work for her, I'll spend the $17 for the small "board" (or whatever they call it) part. You don't have to buy another complete set.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Cue Mrs. Monkey in 3, 2, 1....

? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say to that? Most woman do put fashion before function? I used to purse carry a bit, but then I got smart. I ordered an Alien Gear belt, I even wear in with my yoga pants. That way I can always carry like a "normal" person. Purse be damned, my life is more important than a Coach/MK/whatever the heck wives carry purse. Personally I use a Fossil Messenger bag, it's more of a hipster murse. Because hell, why not? But I carry it on my left side now so I have the ability to draw from my right.

? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say to that? Most woman do put fashion before function? I used to purse carry a bit, but then I got smart. I ordered an Alien Gear belt, I even wear in with my yoga pants. That way I can always carry like a "normal" person. Purse be damned, my life is more important than a Coach/MK/whatever the heck wives carry purse. Personally I use a Fossil Messenger bag, it's more of a hipster murse. Because hell, why not? But I carry it on my left side now so I have the ability to draw from my right.

Probably because he said "most women..." Lol

Gotcha. Well, like I said, my life/safety is worth more than a purse or looking good. I can't help it if other women don't see it that way. I've learned that I fall into a different category of women. And I'm ok with that.

I didn't mean anything by it. Your thread/rant from the other day immediately came to mind when I read that post. And for the record, my wife usually carries in a strong side owb holster. Just wish she'd do so more often.

I didn't mean anything by it. Your thread/rant from the other day immediately came to mind when I read that post. And for the record, my wife usually carries in a strong side owb holster. Just wish she'd do so more often.

I'd call it an opinionated thread versus a rant. Didn't realize it would be such a big deal to put my opinion/feelings out there. I just feel like it's incredible that in 2015 when there are people having to fight for their rights, women aren't treated in the same manner when it comes to what/how they carry, when they carry and what they're shown when they go to buy.

A legally armed citizen, is a good citizen to have. Regardless of sex, color or anything else people might judge. That's all I was getting at. Now, if you wanna drop $3k on a Louis Vuitton and carry a .380 by all means, do it. Whatever a person is comfortable doing, they should do. But I've learned over the last few months that anything not directly on your person isn't practical because it affects your response time. So I've learned ways to adapt how I carry to suit me. :)
  • Like 1