TN Poachers

I hope these were not one of us here: http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/2/11/tennessee-poachers-receive-nationwide-lifetime-hunting-ban/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0216

I could never understand the mentality of poaching, with as many hunting opportunities and long hunting seasons why would any TN resident resort to poaching and trespassing on private property.

??  Privatize?

Yep. You probably remember that the American Bison was nearly hunted to extinction here. Private ranchers took control of some of the remaining herds and their numbers are now so plentiful that you can get a Bison burger at a restaurant for only nominally more than beef. The same thing happened with the American alligator in Louisiana. My understanding is that there is an alligator hunting season there now because they have come back so strong.

Privatizing wildlife creates a financial incentive for the owner to take measures to protect the animals and to breed them in numbers large enough to make them available for hunting or consumption by those who want them.

Next up: Why we privatize our waterways. (Hint: Pretty much see the above argument and apply it to water.)

• Like 1

With the total disregard for what few restrictions we have for hunting, and the list of charges that they were brought up on. Do you really think they will give a rats butt about not being able to get a license for Tennessee or any other state. If my family was hungry I'd take a deer to feed them. But that's not what this is about. 

Wildlife is kinda privatized by the TWRA. Sportsmen pay them to among other things manage our deer heard. When I was a kid there wasn't any deer to speak of in the state. Know thanks to the work they have done with the funding we have provided, we have a pretty heathy heard. We also get the added bonus that they punish DBs like those two poachers for not playing by the rules when there are ample opportunities for harvesting deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope these were not one of us here: http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/2/11/tennessee-poachers-receive-nationwide-lifetime-hunting-ban/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0216

I could never understand the mentality of poaching, with as many hunting opportunities and long hunting seasons why would any TN resident resort to poaching and trespassing on private property.

It is awful where we live. I am a huge believer that it's because of ignorance and boredom. We run people off every weekend during the good months. We've only had to chase people away once this winter. I've called the sheriff 3 times since we've been here (1 year) all for trespassers. The last time they fired shots.

Where we live, average response time is 20-30 minutes. So we're always armed on property now.
  • 3 weeks later...

It is awful where we live. I am a huge believer that it's because of ignorance and boredom. We run people off every weekend during the good months. We've only had to chase people away once this winter. I've called the sheriff 3 times since we've been here (1 year) all for trespassers. The last time they fired shots.
Where we live, average response time is 20-30 minutes. So we're always armed on property now.

If you know they are on your property but they havent seen you grab your favorite firearm and dump the mag in a safe direction. Speak in a language that the dumbest of rednecks can understand. There was a fella that lived down the road where I grew up. He owned a lot of land and had a lot of road frontage. He would do this and even the worst local poachers refused to shoot deer off of his property. It was one of the only local places that you would see deer from the road after the start of deer season.
  • Like 1

If you know they are on your property but they havent seen you grab your favorite firearm and dump the mag in a safe direction. Speak in a language that the dumbest of rednecks can understand. There was a fella that lived down the road where I grew up. He owned a lot of land and had a lot of road frontage. He would do this and even the worst local poachers refused to shoot deer off of his property. It was one of the only local places that you would see deer from the road after the start of deer season.

Out here it's people on ATV's or 4 wheelers. What we usually do is get the neighbors to help us "stop" them where we're all armed, our neighbor then politely points out the trespassing issue, documents their vehicles and says let's not meet again. It works really well. ;-) and I don't have to waste ammo! Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 1

One of the things I've learned since moving here is that with some people think that getting caught is wrong. Not doing the deed. Then they are out of shape with the people that catch them.

I grew up hunting and fishing and my dad taught me to respect nature and obey the rules. These 2 punks have no respect for either and I feel their punishment was no where close to adequate for what they did. Banning them from hunting for life is no punishment, they've already shown they'll kill 40 deer when they want without regard to the law. A measly $5000 fine each isn't enough either. </rant>

• Like 1

One of the things I've learned since moving here is that with some people think that getting caught is wrong. Not doing the deed. Then they are out of shape with the people that catch them.

I had a UPS guy (not my regular) get into a verbal dispute with me over a road that was old and one lane that had been closed. And how Yankees moving in ruin everything (our neighbor that owns is from New England area. I told him, it's posted for a reason, respect it or find out the hard way what happens. My regular UPS man apologized the next day and asked me my side. He reported him to their supervisor. I've never seen the other guy again but I have a feeling he can't run our route.

Selling deer and elk have helped spread CWD to a lot of states that would never have been infected or at least not in a long time if ever. Our sport is being attacked from all sides and now we want to kick the wildlife management out the window so every body can farm deer ect? because they can save it? LOL