How was your day? Mine sucked!

• Administrator

My day started with a visit to TGO around 6:15AM right about which time the forum decided to puke because of a corrupt search index.  I worked on that until I absolutely had to walk out the door and head to my job, and then worked on it a bit more for another hour or so between meetings, to get it back online.

At one point I literally had to completely obliterate the forum database and restore it from a backup I took right before the outage occurred (premonition???) and even then it looked it it wasn't going to come back online.

We've only been around since 2007 and have 25,000+ members and several million posts and private messages.  All of which flashed before my eyes a few times while trying like hell to get it to work again.

But hey!  Here we are!  Go, technology!

I swear I might become Amish and swear this stuff off one of these days.  Until then, there's beer. :)

How was your day?

startaforumtheysaid.jpg

• Like 12

Similar to  friends saying "Buy a Boat".   Translation:

You get all of the expense and headache, we get all the fun! (Well at least most of it).  Maybe it isn't so bad, they do buy the beer :cheers:

• Like 2

Yea, definitely appreciate the effort put forth to keep us sharing and arguing about important and totally stupid subjects.  Keep up the good work, we will be right here even if it means staring at the maintenance screen while you get it running the way you want it.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Raoul said:

My day started in a lawyer's office and ended in a doctor's office.

You win!  Wait... is that a win?  It seems like maybe it's not. :)

Hope all turned out well at both offices.

1 minute ago, TGO David said:

You win!  Wait... is that a win?  It seems like maybe it's not. :)

Hope all turned out well at both offices.

I walked out of the lawyer's office with good free advice, and I walked out of the doctor's office scheduled for a new knee. What I saved at one I made up for in spades at the other.

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

Well I woke up on the right side of the grass so even with all my aches and pains it was a better day than yours. :bellylaf: Seriously though...thanks for fixin' the mess. What's the old sayin'...if it ain't broke don't fix it?:hiding: I guess it was broke though or you wouldn't have updated.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

I swear I might become Amish and swear this stuff off one of these days.  Until then, there's beer. :)

David,

Next time you make fun of me for not having a smartphone, and my hatred of computers, I will remind you of May 17, 2016. :)

Amish sounds just about right. I was thinking just yesterday of retiring in a log cabin, without Internet, TV, computers, all that technology junk. What bliss that would be.

Sorry you had a bad day. Plan for the day you can leave all this IT crud behind! There is light at the end of the tunnel! (unless it's an approaching train...). Up until such time, we do appreciate you suffering for us to make TGO possible!

Cheers!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

My day started with a visit to TGO around 6:15AM right about which time the forum decided to puke because of a corrupt search index.  I worked on that until I absolutely had to walk out the door and head to my job, and then worked on it a bit more for another hour or so between meetings, to get it back online.

At one point I literally had to completely obliterate the forum database and restore it from a backup I took right before the outage occurred (premonition???) and even then it looked it it wasn't going to come back online.

We've only been around since 2007 and have 25,000+ members and several million posts and private messages.  All of which flashed before my eyes a few times while trying like hell to get it to work again.

How was your day?

startaforumtheysaid.jpg

You need a bottle of wine. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Just now, Rightwinger said:

Went to funeral of a co-worker, came out, turned on phone, one of my employees is on the way to the hospital after a fall at work.  Yeah, today sucked.

Perspective check!  Thanks for reminding me that a lot of things DIDN'T go wrong for me today.

As others have stated more eloquently than I, thank you for your hard work and dedication keeping this thing going. Good day or bad I always enjoy hopping on TGO at the end of it. I know in the past I've taken for granted the amount of effort required to keep this behemoth we all love afloat. In the future I will try to envision you chained to a computer somewhere feverishly writing code and I'll appreciate it all the more. I am really digging the new format as well. 

5 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

As others have stated more eloquently than I, thank you for your hard work and dedication keeping this thing going. Good day or bad I always enjoy hopping on TGO at the end of it. I know in the past I've taken for granted the amount of effort required to keep this behemoth we all love afloat. In the future I will try to envision you chained to a computer somewhere feverishly writing code and I'll appreciate it all the more. I am really digging the new format as well. 

DAMN! You beat me to it. Thank you