Lawn/Grass help

Smith

Can anyone help identify my lawn. It was neglected for many years, till we bought it last year. Overseeded with ky31 till I realized the Bermuda from the golf course across the street and neighbors yard would win. Overseers early summer with Bermuda.

So, I know there is a very fine Bermuda, KY31 (fasing out), and some crabgrass. What day you experts? My goal is a nice Bermuda yard to match the golf course.

Whatever the thicker stiff is, it grows thick and fast and it is all warm weather grass.

f408ea95150a769a8290a76913744a74.jpg

a610dba4c61cec0aeb1d9524c9521e38.jpg

09ae15cc3d513385ed69c839d23a5972.jpg

a130a66265b57a4fb7b935c5c05f9555.jpg

47b45e3672ca4b6340a1486166dacf71.jpg

Looks like crabgrass to me but I do have like 8 different kinds of grass in my yard.

I do know it looks a lot better cut.

Bermuda will overtake fescue with a vengeance.  It grows in the summer when fescue goes dormant and browns in the winter.  I hate it.  You might need to do what I've been thinking of...the nuclear option...starting over, lol.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

Bermuda is so pernicious that it comes back even after using Round Up.  I heard that you have to use it repeatedly.   In Atlanta, some companies just Round Up the weeds on Bermuda lawns because it comes the grass comes back so fast.

I have a fescue lawn steadily being replaced by Bermuda.  In the last 10 years, one part of the lawn has become approximately 40% Bermuda despite my efforts.  I have accepted it's fate at this point.  In my area, you can choose to have a brown lawn either in the winter or the summer.  

Go to Tractor Supply in the ag chemicals and get a quart of Amine 2-4d. Follow the directions. Won't kill grass but will kill everything else (broadleaf weeds)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Dane said:

Go to Tractor Supply in the ag chemicals and get a quart of Amine 2-4d. Follow the directions. Won't kill grass but will kill everything else (broadleaf weeds)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've tried Trimec but it's not getting the crabgrass. I'll try this stuff if I can find a small bottle of it. Seems like TSC might only carry a gallon size. 

It's crabgrass. I had a terrible problem with it a couple of years ago. I was told each year it grows from last years seeds. Last year, I mowed every 3 days, 4 at the most. The crab grass came up, but I never let it start the stem that the seeds grow on. This is what the chemicals are suppose to do that you buy for crabgrass. It coats the seed and stops germination they say.  This year, I had very little crabgrass at all and didn't use the chems, just cut before the seeds could grow. It works, but you gotta stay on it with the mowing. The bad thing is, if your neighbor has crabgrass you will have crabgrass from the seeds blowing into your yard if they don't keep theirs cut like you do.

• Like 1

I just picked up some Lawn Weed & Crabgrass Killer (Bayer Advanced brand) in a concentrate yesterday. Figure I'll give it a shot first and if it doesn't work I'll run by Tractor Supply and try the other 24d stuff. 

I just moved into a new construction subdivision late last year and the front yard was sodded, there's crabgrass coming up in places and I'm convinced that it's because my awesome neighbor doesn't mow his yard. He waits until it's ridiculously tall and then has a lawn service come out :mad: 

My back yard I seeded, and the guy behind me mows his back yard once every other month. You can see where the crabgrass has spread under my fence from his yard into mine. He makes me just as :mad: as the guy next door to me.

I don't speak to them much. Momma told me if I didn't have anything nice to say... 

Crab grass ditto:

I have Bermuda in my yard as that is what builder put down before we purchased this house. I am slowly converting to zoysia with pieces and plugs as it will choke most weeds and Bermuda out.  While this is happening the absolute best product to get rid of crab grass is a product by the name of Image for Crab Grass.  It a granular product in 3 individual packages in a box for about $12.  Each pack mixes with 1 gallon of water. I also add weed b gone, using the suggested amount. I can only find "Image for Crab grass" at Home Depot.  The weed b gone is available everywhere.  Image also has a product call Image for Nut Grass that is in a ready to spray by connecting a water hose. It the only product I've seen that will kill nut grass without harming the good grass.  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/IMAGE-Crabgrass-Killer-3-Pack-100099416/202277681

Edited by Luap
Apple spell is dumber than me
  • Like 1

I have a mix of fescue, weeds, and Bermuda. I've tried all the over-the-counter stuff, and none of it is a long term solution.  It's just a neverending amount of time and money with little reward.

If your neighbor's have weeds, you're gonna have weeds, and there's nothing you can do about it.

If you want it to look like a golf course, hire one of the Green Lawn type companies to do the chemicals.  It'll be cheaper in the long run. 

I gave up.  It's green, I mow it, and that's good enough. Weeding the flowerbeds and tending the garden is more than enough work. 

• Like 2

I mow about 6 acres. When we first built, I dressed, seeded, and fertilized our yard. It was beautiful and green. Mid December.....it was still beautiful and green!:wall: Since I don't enjoy mowing in the wintertime, I've not done anything else to it.

I've tried Trimec but it's not getting the crabgrass. I'll try this stuff if I can find a small bottle of it. Seems like TSC might only carry a gallon size. 

It comes in a quart. Currently kept on the upper shelf of the ag chem section.

It is the same stuff found in most crabgrass control products just in a highly concentrated form and considerably cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you're super serious about your yard go to Dickens Turf & Landscape have them put you on a 12-month plan follow it to the T that is what I did when I built my house 2 years ago my yard looks like a golf course on PGA weekend It is expensive I spend around  $50.00 a month on fertilizer and chemicals

Edited by raildog
  • Like 1

I just skimmed through the responses. One, the first frost will kill the crabgrass; it is an annual. The Bermuda will continue to take over and once it gets thick enough I recommend Roundup at a slightly diluted rate over the fescue in the middle of winter about Janury 10th.  

PM me and I will give you my phone number. It will be so much easier to talk.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I mow about 6 acres. When we first built, I dressed, seeded, and fertilized our yard. It was beautiful and green. Mid December.....it was still beautiful and green!:wall: Since I don't enjoy mowing in the wintertime, I've not done anything else to it.

You mow 6 acres?  On purpose?  :eek:

• Like 1

Ellington Agriculture Center can do a soil sample of your lawn, garden or whatever dirt you plan to grow something in.

The results of that test will tell you exactly what you need to treat your lawn or garden for optimal foliage.

Or pay a service to do it.

3 hours ago, peejman said:

You mow 6 acres?  On purpose?  :eek:

Yeah....I had envisioned building near the road, and having a small pasture behind the house. My boss (wife) made the executive decision that the place to build was right in the middle of this lot, rendering it all pretty much useless, save for mowing.

It does provide plenty of privacy.