Ruger did it! American Compact

Steelharp

• Authorized Vendor

MSRP is $579......I'd expect it to be less in stores and on line. I looked on galleyofguns.com and it's not listed yet. I think for now you need to order one through a Ruger dealer. I for one don't care to order something I've never seen up close.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, graycrait said:

I like Ruger's "aggressive" marketing and new products, but is this narrower, shorter, lots cheaper than the other already established compact 9mm carry pistols?

This is a good point and I agree as the market is pretty deep in compact 9's and such particularly with Ruger's already very good SR9c.

14 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Ruger is so aggressive it's getting ridiculous.  They've got a stable full of M&P and Glock competitors.  LC this, that and the other, but they have yet to duplicate the Shield from S&W.

LC9s?

2 hours ago, zybysco said:

LC9s?

It's a close counterpart but different enough not to be the usual clone redesign Ruger is becoming known for. I like the Shield ergonomics  it the LC9s is pretty nice, to bad they did the LC9 first.

12 hours ago, zybysco said:

LC9s?

Perhaps.  I gues the point I was trying to make is Ruger's brilliant marketing that separates people from their money.  Release something, then make vast improvements a couple of years later.  

4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm a fan or Ruger but I don't understand what you mean by "Ruger did it"... What exactly did they do? I'm not seeing anything groundbreaking or unique here.  How is this a big improvement from the SR9C?

They made a compact of the American. That was hard to grasp?

And I have no idea if it's an "improvement" over the SR9c, as I haven't seen one yet.

Edited by Steelharp
30 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

And I have no idea if it's an "improvement" over the SR9c, as I haven't seen one yet.

I'm just not understanding why you made this seem like such a big deal. I didn't realize we were all dying for another compact polymer pistol option.... As if the market wasn't already flooded. 

I don't think people will be lining up to buy this gun. Maybe if it were priced closer to $300 it would have some advantage over the 25 competing guns already available. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

As I understand it originally the Ruger American was to be another product line in addition to the SR product line. Some initial concerns pertaining to the SR series being discontinued were discounted. Now its looking to be more likely the Ruger American is replacing the SR's which if correct will be another orphaned Ruger model. Ruger is very smart about upgrading its product line to draw new customers and induce current customers into "upgrading" their own personal firearms.

36 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Don't think they're available yet. I definitely want to fondle one. If the trigger is as good as the guy in the video says, it's definitely worth a look.

I can't find one. I'd did give me G&L and NA as two Ruger distributors but that's it. So I'll be patient and wait. I guess it's grocery shopping and baked ziti time instead. :bored:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

I'm really stuck and I only carry my 29sf. However, I really like the look of this A LOT. I think I know what I'm doing today now.

We've been stagnant lately and haven't bought anything new and we do not own a Ruger. I think it's time to take a look.

I agree it looks interesting and also appears to be in that in between G-19/G26 size that some other manufactures have embraced. W/O doubt I'll at least try to take a look at one when they become readily available but at this point the next purchase I make isn't going to be a compact 9mmP or .40S&W.

The trigger/fire control group is too complex for me. lots of small parts. I was hoping they'd simplify it and I'd consider it again but I guess it's the same. I have heard and watched a lot of guys talk about the small pieces flying off and/or getting lost when they take apart this part. I can take apart and detail strip a P-Series way easier than this new American.

On 10/1/2016 at 9:49 AM, Steelharp said:

By that logic, every 1911 manufactured is a Colt "copy." Get over it.

I don't think there are many manufacturers of 1911s claiming that the pistols they build are an 'all new, innovative design' like Ruger did when, for instance, they copied Kel Tec's P3AT and acted as if the Little Copied Pistol was an 'all new design that started from a blank sheet of paper.'  I mean, they were going so far as to claim they had invented something brand new that was going to 'revolutionize' personal handgun carry and even got many of the gun rags to go along with the lie.  Most gun designs are, in one way or another, derivative of others.  That is to be expected.  It is directly ripping off another company's design and then claiming that they, Ruger, came up with the design from scratch that is annoying.  Ruger builds good firearms and I am a fan of some of those firearms but when they insult gun buyer's intelligence with such obvious lies then it makes you kind of wonder what kind of company they are running.

Think of it this way:  if you knew that musician A composed an original piece of music and later heard musician B performing or having recorded that piece of music, maybe with one or two minor changes that didn't really make it significantly different from musician A's version, and musician B was presenting it as their original work, not a cover of musician A or even a 're-imagining' of musician A then should people who know what musician B has done not be annoyed?  Should they simply 'get over it'?

Edited by JAB

You gotta shoot it before you buy it. The extended portion of the frame in the back if very uncomfortable to shoot. Not only is it too long but it's too squared off. It digs into the top of your hand on recoil. Sorta like the standard 1911 grip safety verses a high hand.

I emailed ruger about the way I feel. The return email was just standard "thank you very much bla,bla,bla,bla"