Opinions on S&W airweights

Duck

I was holding out for a M&P Shield but I have been thinking about a small revolver instead. I found a slightly used 638 bodyguard for a good price. The reason I am going this way is I need a gun to leave with my girlfriend while I am away on drills or away with work. A small, light revolver makes more sense.

Anybody have experience with airweights and small 5 shot revolvers? Edited by Duck
I have owned or still do just about very configuration of the small Smiths.  Most people think the lightweight scandium, titanium, and alloy ones are the ones to own.  While individual mileage may vary the lightweights recoil a lot, I mean a lot.  The all steel 36, 60, 49, and such normally only weigh a little bit more but it helps so much with recoil.  I bet if you were to let your lady shoot an older 38spl 649 and then shoot a 638, she would pick the all steel, especially since she won't be carrying it.  Everyone recommends 5 shot snub nose for women but generally they are a terrible choice for a new shooter. 

The 638 is what is called a bodyguard configuration 38/49/638/649, in my opinion it eliminates the best qualities of the chief series 36/37/60/360and eliminates the best qualities of the Centennial 40/42/340/342/442/642/640/940.  People that have never owned a j frame think the exact opposite is true.  Even though there is not an instance where cocking the hammer would be needed in self-defense, with a bodyguard, I don't think in a high stress situation you would be able to do it.  Also the bodyguards tend to collect all kinds of crap in the opening. That opening is a funnel for water to enter into the mechanism, a lot of old cops that wore these in pockets or on ankles would have non functioning guns a month or two after standing in the rain during investigations.  With the Chiefs Special the spur can actually add some retention, if someone tries to pull the gun from a pocket it snags.  When you go to retrieve it, place your thumb on the hammer and you can pull it right out.  Also most retention holsters are made for the spur, but will work with the centennials. You either have to modify a thumb strap  holster for a bodyguard or get the type that goes over the trigger guard.  

The Centennials or hammerless as they are called are probably the best, very low maintenance and not much to stop them.  I foolishly let the cream of the crop, a 640-no dash, out of my collection a year ago.  At 20oz it was a dream to carry and even more of a dream to shoot.  Prior to that I had carried an old 642, fine gun but it was like having dynamite go off in your hand with any ammo worth a flip.
  • Like 6

I think Patton nailed it. :up:

I too have either owned or shot (pretty extensively) every J Frame configuration and O frame Colt.

I settled on the 640 Centennial back in 1992. It's in my pocket now.

The issue (s) with J Frames and similar sized revolvers that make them challenging, doable, but challenging...are short sight radius, heavy trigger pull as it relates to the size and weight of the gun, and preceived recoil as it relates to the weight of the gun. All aspects are manageable with training and practice imho.

The points Patton mentioned about carrying one are also spot on. I know I get plenty of dust bunnies and pocket trash on my J Frame 640...but it's never impeded it's function.

WernerSetupsnubby.jpg

• Like 1
As others have said Patton's post has some good info.

To the OP, please clarify if you're looking for a carry gun or a HD gun. If it's a HD gun, pick something larger and easier to shoot than a j frame.

If it's a carry gun, while the j frame will work, most women don't find them fun or easy to shoot. My wife has a 642 with a Crimson Trace laser but much prefers to shoot the Shield. YMMV.
Something else, while I have never heard of it happening, it would be possible to drop the 638 on its shroud enough to bend it rendering it useless. My grandfather actually shared that thought with me many years ago, he also had mentioned the concern of loose coins droped in the same pocket as the Smith. Two factors that would not have effects on a chief special. He toted a few j frames around back in his LE days, actually squeezing rounds off in the line of duty.

I have pocket-carried a 638 for about 10 years.  It carries easy and it's a lot of power for the size and weight.  Much more pleasant to shoot than a typical pocket .380.  It's simple and reliable and there's nothing to snag during a draw from the pocket.  Yes it collects lint.  Yes, pocket carry in the summer makes the hammer and trigger rust.  Regular cleaning and oiling take care of those minor annoyances.

I'd recommend a 638 to anyone for concealed carry, unless you're going to carry on your belt - in that case, carry a bigger gun/caliber.

BTW, a horsehide holster marks up an aluminum frame something fierce.

Edited by enfield

I'd recommend a 638 to anyone for concealed carry, unless you're going to carry on your belt - in that case, carry a bigger gun/caliber.

BTW, a horsehide holster marks up an aluminum frame something fierce.

True on wearing a bigger gun on the belt. The finish on the airweights are made from crayon, they suck. Sometimes S&W will refinish it and sometimes they want you to pay $250. I rubbed the finish off of my 642 by resting a string trimmer shaft on my leg, even though it was in a holster it ate the finish off every edge. The black 37, 438, 442 seem to hold up a little better or at least not show as much. The scandium and titanium models do not do any better. For finish durability, the all stainless is the way to go.
There are a few satin nickel finish 442 and 438 out there,the finish is really poor. If it is a "Pro" or a 3" barrel in an air weight or ultralight, ignore everything I have said recently, just buy it! Edited by Patton
I have a 642. I really like this revolver. No hammer to hang which is great for pocket carry in summer, light weight and it shoots great. it is very light weight and it does does "excercise" the wrist, but I have no problem shooting 50 rounds or so of +P at the range gloveless, but more than that, which is rare for me, I'll use a glove due to recoil. For this reason, my wife hates it and will only shoot it 10 or 12 times and she's done. I have an inside waist band galco that makes carrying the 642 nice and tight against the side in summer (I normally carry in the pocket of cargo shorts in summer and it hides very well), and I have a Blackhawk Serpa paddle that I really like to use when I carry it in winter with cover. Either way, it's very light and easy to "forget" you have it with you.

great gun to have around.  with all other that has been said.  get some 148 gr wad gutters for her to shoot to get use to the gun.  don't have the target to far away.  two to six feet is a good range for practice.  get a speed strip and some speed loaders for faster reloads.  

Thanks everyone, it belongs to a guy in my unit and after talking with him more I think it isn't for me. It would actually be for instances where my Glock 19 was too large for carry but to also double as a home defense gun for my girl. He brought up some of the same points as Patton. He even made mention off the fact of her usafely cocking the hammer, attempting to, or unsafely riding the hammer down. It was also his opinion that a pure stainless steel 640 revolver is the route to go with the weight helping recoil and 15 ozcompared to 20 is not a lot when carrying.
Like Patton I would go for a steel frame in a J-frame. Even then though, my girlfriend shot it (Mode 36) and handed it back, wanted nothing to do with it, and that after I told her it was a handful make sure she had a good grip.

If you want an M&P Shield why not just get it? It won’t cost any more than a good J-frame.

Is she going to carry it? If not and it’s for home protection a 4” 686 L-frame makes more sense to me. With .38’s it’s a cream puff, even with .357 it’s more controllable, easier to shoot and absolutely more accurate than a J-frame, plus she gets an extra round (or 2 if you get the 7 shot).

It’s also an excellent Range/Target gun. It will cost more than a Shield, but it is the original point and click interface.

Don’t get me wrong I love my J-frames, but I don’t leave them out for my wife when I’m not there.

Don’t get me wrong I love my J-frames, but I don’t leave them out for my wife when I’m not there.

Same here. Thankfully my wife loves my Glock 34. If I'm working night shift, she has 17 rounds of Hornandy critical defense by the bed.

I have owned dozens of the J frames over the years in all configurations. In my opinion they are the best concealed carry guns out there. I do not like the centennial. It feels odd in my hand. Like something is missing from the top and it is going to slide down. The Model 60 is a great little gun, but a bit heavy and the hammer sometimes snags on my coat pocket if I get in a hurry to get it out. I still have 5 j frames but my favorite is a satin nickel 638 that I have carried for about 20 years. The finish is a bit worn, but you would be surprised how good it  still looks after 20 years of carry in an inside the waistband holster. It wears a crimson trace laser grip for when my wife takes it someplace with her. I have over 30 handguns but whenever one of us goes someplace it is usually the one that goes with us. I have been a gun dealer and owned hundreds of handguns. In my opinion the 638 is the best of all of them.

Is that a "CEN" serial prefix? I see you like the barahmi hip grips, add a Tyler T, and that you finish it off with an inner tube.

No, not a CEN prefix...but I wish it was LOL. It's BKC.

Yes, I like the feel of the combination of the hip grips and Tyler T. The fill my hand much better than the stock grips. The "rubber band" aids in torque reduction.

I also appreciate the carry options the hip grips afford.

I have had a 642 for years.  Not crazy about it but it serves a purpose.  It was my EDC for years but I swapped it out for a Glock for a couple of reasons.  1) It doesn't make sense for me to belt carry a gun this small, so I pocket carried it.  One day I realized how difficult pocket carry was to deploy and I decided to get away from it and go for belt carry.  Now I usually carry a Glock of some variety.  2) Small caliber and small capacity.  Not to start a caliber war here but I wanted to carry something larger with more capacity.  I also prefer to carry something that is adequate for taking down an animal if need be.  As long as you are comfortable being limited to 5 rounds and .38 then there is nothing wrong with it.  

That said I mostly use this as a deep concealment gun.

I personally like the LCRs over the 642, but that is just my opinion.  The LCR seems to have a much better trigger.  

• Like 1

10-Ring;

I completely agree that pocket carry is less than optimal.

My J-frame is a second gun...and only rarely is used as primary for deep concealment in a non-permissive environment.

But having a second gun in a pocket does have it's advantages.

Threeeighty;

Love those grips brother!  :up:

I'll probably have stones thrown at me, but here goes...

I had a 442 and it was an ok pocket gun, but I couldn't hit the floor with it.  That was a training issue (not the gun's fault), but the gun's pointability and trigger were so different from what I usually carry that I didn't want to get too good with it.  My wife thought she would commandeer it, but changed her mind after she shot it.  After getting a Kahr CM9, I consider the 2" j-frames to be obsolete.  The CM9 packs more punch, hold 2 more rounds, is easier to control, is easier to shoot accurately, is easier to carry, makes less noise, and has been every bit as reliable as the 442.  It replaced my 442 as my pocket carry gun.  Now my wife has all but commandeered the CM9.  Guess I shouldn't have sold the 442. 

If you're set on a revolver, a 3" steel j-frame would be a better option, especially if it's just a house gun.  I have a 3" model 60 that's a blast to sheet with .38s, but I rarely shoot it. 

Edited by deerslayer