Local High School Attacked for Prayers

luvmyberetta

This is a call for prayers because of attacks from the TN ACLU & members of the public. Oneida High School (Scott County) is where both of my parents, my brother & I graduated from, & both of my young sons currently attend. My family & I even live across the street from the school. Right now OHS is getting national attention for allowing prayers before football games & a lot of it is negative. The TN ACLU is attacking our school & the cheerleaders & their families have even recieved threats of violence from members of the public. We're a close community with long standing traditions & after nearly 100 years prayers in our school we WILL NOT stop no matter who it affends. Over the years we've seen what happens in our nation's schools when prayer is removed. Westboro Bpt. Church even had the nerve to send members to my town a few years ago on another matter & we stood together & ran them out. Please keep us in your prayers. We need it now more than ever.

Please click lnks for more...

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/scott-campbell-morgan/2014/09/19/oneida-cheerleaders-bullied-for-pregame-prayer/15911031/
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/scott-campbell-morgan/2014/09/19/oneida-cheerleaders-appear-on-fox-news/15884681/
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/scott-campbell-morgan/2014/09/15/cheerleaders-bring-prayers-back-to-the-football-field/15700459/

• Like 1
The high school I graduated from, which is the same one my boys play football for now, was threatened by the same idiots...guess what. We attended the game tonight as we always do, and the cheerleaders led the prayer pre game. Let them make their empty threats. When they see you won't back down they will move to their next target hoping for better results! Strong communities always prevail over the ones that try to tear them down!

since you asked,

prayer has no place in a public forum.  

You can pray to your god, I can pray or not pray as I see see fit.  Do it in private.  I am not educated in the bible, but isn't there something in there about not being public in showing you faith?  Maybe I did not word it right, but if it is true you you still get my gist. 

I went to a private Catholic high school.  I do not recall prayers over the PA before sporting events.  

I do not go along with any threats of violence for much of any reason.

You believe in the man in the sky, I don't.  My belief should not be forced on you, nor your's on me.  

Can't we all get along?

• Like 3
As long as you don't care if a bunch of Muslims pray to Allah before the game while everyone else waits as well, I am cool with it.

I also am not religious. In fact, I am pretty anti-religion, but as long as everyone can do it equally, then no issue for me. I don't personally believe that any religion has any place in public/government events, but it also doesn't bother me if someone wants to pray before a game.

I think where most of us non-believers get tickled is when the hypocrisy is so I obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3
I should add, I am not saying you are a hypocrite as I don't know you. What I am saying is in most of these cases, if it was the other way around, I bet a huge majority would be complaining about it, publicly or privately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Hozzie

You can pray to your god, I can pray or not pray as I see see fit. Do it in private. I am not educated in the bible, but isn't there something in there about not being public in showing you faith? Maybe I did not word it right, but if it is true you you still get my gist.

Matthew 6:5
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
If a person or group of people want to pray they have every right to. If a Jewish or Muslim wants to pray, that's fine too. What I will never, ever understand are people who say, "You can't/shouldn't do that." None of your business. Just because these kids are at a public school sporting event they don't suddenly lose their right to practice their religion. A person, or group of people praying has no effect on the rights of others. The reason people have a problem is because they "feel" excluded. Just like carrying a firearm makes people "feel" uncomfortable. Laws formed because of "feelings" are bad laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
Lets examine the facts here:

The school previously had prayers delivered over the PA system.

The ACLU filed a complaint reminding the public school they could not do this.

School changes to a moment of silence.

After a year or so, The principal chooses to organize a prayer by asking the cheerleading squad to say the lords prayer.

"We went to the cheerleaders and said ‘would you consider leading the Lord’s Prayer during the moment of silence for anyone that would want to join in?’ It was at their discretion and they organized it."

Stupid, stupid, stupid - he as the leader of the public school just asked the children to lead a denominational prayer. He is in the wrong.

If the kids had done this on their own, it would have been fine - the problem was a the principal initiated it.
  • Like 1

we WILL NOT stop no matter who it affends.

I hope you are right, but it sounds like the school administration has been forced into submission.

The ACLU and other groups will attack anything that stands up for morals and against the breakdown of society and the family unit. They have fought against prayer in schools for decades, but now are fighting for allowing Muslims to pray in school. So that tells you where they stand.

If the cheerleaders, the players, or the students want to have a prayer; so be it. Either participate or sit and be quiet. I fail to see why this would be an issue for the heathens or the atheists, unless it makes them feel bad about themselves. Attempting to crush Christianity isn’t the answer.

Again, before anyone starts yelling “separation of church and state” do your history research. It was not an attempt to ban religion from the government.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress may not be making a law, but the intent of the first amendment clear. Government (the school board) is violating the first amendment rights of those students if they try to stop prayer.

I hope you stand together and tell the ACLU to go pound sand. Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2
I know the TelePrompTer in chief says we are primarily a Muslim nation but he is 180 out as in all things he says.
We have had God in our nation since we started an I think those that want to change it are forcing their way on us.
If it were the Muslim call to prayer blasting over the giant voice I could see being offended. Not because it's Muslim but because it's creepy.
I think if anyone really wanted to appease different beliefs, the gov would allow people to send their kids to any school they wish and use their tax dollars for that instead of milking the taxpayers for the twisted school system the libs have infiltrated.

Since the atheists are in the church business, their point is mute!
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4252360 Edited by Ugly
  • Like 1

Is it true that the principal went to the cheerleaders and asked them to do this?  If so, clearly a violation of the establishment clause and it should stop.

If all the cheerleaders with no help or encouragement from school employees came up with this idea on their own (I'm highly doubtful) then it's nobody's business if they pray or not.

There is a HUGE difference between students coming together of the own accord and expressing their faith... and school officials attempting to use the cheerleaders as a cut out to push the establishment of one religion onto the school body and the public at large.

This is a call for prayers because of attacks from the TN ACLU & members of the public. Oneida High School (Scott County) is where both of my parents, my brother & I graduated from, & both of my young sons currently attend. My family & I even live across the street from the school. Right now OHS is getting national attention for allowing prayers before football games & a lot of it is negative. The TN ACLU is attacking our school & the cheerleaders & their families have even recieved threats of violence from members of the public. We're a close community with long standing traditions & after nearly 100 years prayers in our school we WILL NOT stop no matter who it affends. Over the years we've seen what happens in our nation's schools when prayer is removed. Westboro Bpt. Church even had the nerve to send members to my town a few years ago on another matter & we stood together & ran them out. Please keep us in your prayers. We need it now more than ever.

Please click lnks for more...

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/scott-campbell-morgan/2014/09/19/oneida-cheerleaders-bullied-for-pregame-prayer/15911031/
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/scott-campbell-morgan/2014/09/19/oneida-cheerleaders-appear-on-fox-news/15884681/
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/scott-campbell-morgan/2014/09/15/cheerleaders-bring-prayers-back-to-the-football-field/15700459/

• Authorized Vendor

What tickles me is that non-believers get so upset about a simple prayer. If they don't believe what are they afraid of? No one is forcing them to pray in any form or fashion. What is so wrong in respecting the rights of others? No one should be forced to do anything religious against their will....I firmly believe that. But can't they be quiet for a few seconds...check the sports scores or headlines on their phones or even play one of the stupid on line games?

• Like 7

Is it true that the principal went to the cheerleaders and asked them to do this?  If so, clearly a violation of the establishment clause and it should stop.

If all the cheerleaders with no help or encouragement from school employees came up with this idea on their own (I'm highly doubtful) then it's nobody's business if they pray or not.

There is a HUGE difference between students coming together of the own accord and expressing their faith... and school officials attempting to use the cheerleaders as a cut out to push the establishment of one religion onto the school body and the public at large.

The pricipal didn't force anything on anybody. What the articles failed to mention is the cheerleaders & members of the school body went to the pricipal & told them they were upset about prayer being banned & they were told they could say the prayer during the moment of silence if they wanted to, so yes, even though you may doubt, it was the cheeleaders' idea. The "establishment" was trying not to infringe on the rights of the student body & nobody was asked to pray with them.

I notice how qickly athiests will support banning free people from talking to God, as if it hurts them in some way, but if those athiests are gun owners they get upset when others try to do the exact same thing with their gun rights. I won't force any religion down anyone's throat, but I won't let anyone stop me from having faith in God.

• Like 1

Is it true that the principal went to the cheerleaders and asked them to do this? If so, clearly a violation of the establishment clause and it should stop.

Yes - see my post above - wbir news story quotes the principal admitting he organized the prayer

"We went to the cheerleaders and said ‘would you consider leading the Lord’s Prayer during the moment of silence for anyone that would want to join in?’ It was at their discretion and they organized it."

Stupid, stupid, stupid - he as the leader of the public school just asked the children to lead a denominational prayer. He is in the wrong.

If the kids had done this on their own, it would have been fine - the problem was a the principal initiated it.

I can get on board with that.  I think he might be in some grey area as an administrator, so "asking" may be interpreted at "ordering".  I still don't have a problem with it being conducted, and the ACLU has no purpose here unless there are kids being forced to participate in religious activities against their will.  If a bunch of kids in the band whip out prayer rugs and start praying towards Mecca, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable or excluded.  That's their thing.  Folks just need to chill and not be so offended by other people expressing their beliefs.

• Like 2

What tickles me is that non-believers get so upset about a simple prayer. If they don't believe what are they afraid of? No one is forcing them to pray in any form or fashion. What is so wrong in respecting the rights of others? No one should be forced to do anything religious against their will....I firmly believe that. But can't they be quiet for a few seconds...check the sports scores or headlines on their phones or even play one of the stupid on line games?

It's the intolerant forcing tolerance on the rest of us!
  • Like 1
There seems to be dispute about who is doing this.

This statement makes be believe the school administration may have had a moment of silence but the Cheerleaders didn’t think that was enough and took it farther.

Isn’t it safe to assume this is not driven by the government, but is freedom of religion and speech?

But the cheerleading squad felt that a moment of silence wasn't enough, so co-captain of the squad, Asia Canada, took action.
"He called for the moment of silence, and I started off, 'Our Father who art in heaven' and everyone joined in," Asia told WBIR 10News on Monday.
Now it has become a tradition before every home game; the cheerleaders lead the prayer - not over the PA - but with their voices. Their fight against restrictions has now reached the national media outlets, including Fox & Friends on Fox News.

• Like 1

The fact is that the school system can neither condone nor repress student prayer... They cannot initiate it, nor (...i think...) participate in it, lest it give the appearance of endorsement... The fact is that the cheerleaders can, indeed, pray and so can any or all of the students... It's the First Amendment in action and it has already been ruled on...

The Tennessee ACLU well knows that and they are just tryin to bully the school; and they can, the administrators, that is... They can't stop student lead prayer and they well know it...   As some other folks have said very well, those who are against this sort of thing are just tryin to bully and scare a bunch of kids; which, by the way, is against the law... What these idiots and bullys are tryin to do is nothin less than what the Nite Riders did after the civil war...

These sons and daughters of satan need to leave these kids alone before someone catches them doin some of this "intimidatin" and gives them exactly what they are askin for...   These folks are guilty, at the mininum of assault, which is a legal matter.... They also are guilty of tryin to push around someone's precious child; which is another matter all together... Oneida aint Nashville, and the indigenous natives may well take this matter very seriously themselves in a vigilantte way; and im perfectly ok with that... If there were more beatings for saying and doing stupid things, there would be less stupid actions....

As to you 'uncommitted' and unprayin folks; if these sons of b***es can make a bunch of kids quit praying thru intimidation; what makes you think they can't do the same to you...?

Our prayers are with you Oneida Cheerleaders, Students, and Families.... So are our shillelagh's too...  Ya that aint into prayin; just bring the shillelagh's...

leroy

• Like 7

If so, clearly a violation of the establishment clause and it should stop.

We have to shed light on this kind of ignorance, or our country and way of life is surely lost.

How so is having a prayer before a high school football game a violation of anything?

Tennessee's constitution has no such clause, and I doubt seriously Scott county does either.

In respect to religion, the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution prohibits the Federal Government from legally establishing a religion. THAT IS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF IT!!!!!

If you'll study a bit of history, our founding fathers had no problem with States having an official religion.

• Like 2