SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

On 4/14/2020 at 9:51 PM, btq96r said:

If he goes through with this, the consiquences will be China having an increased role in shaping WHO policy because we won't be in their way.  If he was serious about this, he'd be increasing our stake in the organization so we can shape the agenda like an activist investor plusing up their position before a shareholder's vote.

That hasn't worked too well.  Why continue to do something that doesn't work?

Mayor John Cooper filed his recommended budget for the 2021 fiscal year with Metro Council. The $2.447 billion budget includes raising the city's property tax by almost 32% to recover from the financial impact of the March tornado and the COVID-19 shutdown.

And so it begins....

• Angry 1
  • Admin Team
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

And so it begins....

Those of us in Nashville have been expecting a property tax increase with or without the virus.

I don’t necessarily like it, but that can has been kicked down the road for a few years now. 

15 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Those of us in Nashville have been expecting a property tax increase with or without the virus.

I don’t necessarily like it, but that can has been kicked down the road for a few years now. 

I went ahead and locked in the offer of an increase free rent extension knowing a hefty property tax hike was coming and could be passed onto me.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, PoofNoEyeBrows said:

Time to move to the county!

Dude, you’re years behind the curve on that one. 

I wonder if a property tax hike that big will finally tamp down on the Nashvegas population boom?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, bud said:

Not a chance. We're still low on the property tax scale, and the money rolling into town doesn't give a hoot about an extra 1-2 grand a year in taxes. We are still a lot cheaper than where they're moving from.

Man, ain’t that a ***** for y’all?

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
31 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Naw, liberals are stupid.

While my opponent may have wildly differing goals or beliefs to the point of incomprehensibility to me, I won’t let myself fall into the lazy trap of believing that he/she is stupid. Once I do that I have laid the foundation of my own defeat. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

While my opponent may have wildly differing goals or beliefs to the point of incomprehensibility to me, I won’t let myself fall into the lazy trap of believing that he/she is stupid. Once I do that I have laid the foundation of my own defeat. 

This is wise.

Others may have a wildly different worldview.  Who knows how their opinions were formed - or what their lived experience has looked like?

There was a time when we could engage with differing worldviews and debate them on their merits. Unfortunately those times seem to be behind us for now. Most are quite content to be spoon fed their beliefs.

--

I'll leave you with this image. I was waiting in a coffee shop not too long ago to meet someone to discuss some work related stuff.  About 0900 on a Friday morning, suburban Nashville.  Brentwood.  6 people walk into the shop - several wearing apparel that would mark them as 'conservative' - one with a Nine Line shirt, one with a Gadsden Flag on his. They were talking about getting to a state with better politics. 

Turns out they were on an organized tour.  Two of the couples were from Colorado. One was from California. They had literally booked a trip to come here - be taken around the city by a guide - and look at houses that they would buy to move into at some date in the future.  But, in the meantime, they were going to be using those houses as short-term rentals.

They stopped for coffee before continuing to look at a few more neighborhoods before their flights.  

None were concerned about the prices.  They were looking at some nice neighborhoods - and were talking about the value compared to 'back home.'

All that to say - Nashville is probably due for a property tax hike - the money has to come from somewhere. And, we seem to have a bunch of folks moving here who can probably afford it.  I hope that we'll continue to make avenues available for long time residents who can't.

But, for all these folks moving in - whether they have a conservative or liberal view of the world - or somewhere in between.  They're not stupid. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I disagree. Stupid is as stupid does, after all.

Notice that I'm not saying Democrats because I'm more of a centrist when it comes to social issues. I just have a deal-breaker issue of violations of the Bill of Rights. I feel the same about the extreme right.

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I disagree. Stupid is as stupid does, after all.

Notice that I'm not saying Democrats because I'm more of a centrist when it comes to social issues. I just have a deal-breaker issue of violations of the Bill of Rights. I feel the same about the extreme right.

You’ll notice I didn’t use any political identifiers either. That was intentional. I still it’s it’s unwise and lazy to write opponents off as being stupid, even when they make what appear to be stupid mistakes. Doing so generally doesn’t turn out so well. 

• Like 1

None of what the Mayor Cooper proposed should come as a particular shock.  In a state where income tax doesn't exist, and a local economy depending on tourism revenue to the point where they can't scare it away by throwing every cost burden onto the liquor and hotel tax, it's easy enough to see where government will turn for revenue.  Since government can only pare down so much until we're in discussions about how long can people go between trash collection, or how many cops to not have on a given shift, it's bout to reach a breaking point somewhere, and the locals are always left footing the bill in that case.

@MacGyver is spot on, it's liberals and conservatives coming into this area.  That will probably continue apace since state and local governments across the map are facing shortfalls in revenue, and middle Tennessee is still a very attractive landing spot. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

What was that the magical President once said? “Elections have consequences.”

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

None of what the Mayor Cooper proposed should come as a particular shock.  In a state where income tax doesn't exist, and a local economy depending on tourism revenue to the point where they can't scare it away by throwing every cost burden onto the liquor and hotel tax, it's easy enough to see where government will turn for revenue.  Since government can only pare down so much until we're in discussions about how long can people go between trash collection, or how many cops to not have on a given shift, it's bout to reach a breaking point somewhere, and the locals are always left footing the bill in that case.

@MacGyver is spot on, it's liberals and conservatives coming into this area.  That will probably continue apace since state and local governments across the map are facing shortfalls in revenue, and middle Tennessee is still a very attractive landing spot. 

Nashville can pare down a bunch on fiscal spending. Not everyone on the payroll collects trash or writes traffic tickets.

13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

You’ll notice I didn’t use any political identifiers either. That was intentional. I still it’s it’s unwise and lazy to write opponents off as being stupid, even when they make what appear to be stupid mistakes. Doing so generally doesn’t turn out so well. 

So you're calling me lazy. Nice...

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

So you're calling me lazy. Nice...

See, there’s the difference in our views on this laid bare. I can call an action stupid (or in this case lazy) without making a judgement call on the person themselves. So, no, I’m not calling you lazy, but writing political or ideological opponents off as stupid because they did or want something you think is stupid? Yeah, that’s lazy as ####. It’s also stupid. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
11 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

See, there’s the difference in our views on this laid bare. I can call an action stupid (or in this case lazy) without making a judgement call on the person themselves. So, no, I’m not calling you lazy, but writing political or ideological opponents off as stupid because they did or want something you think is stupid? Yeah, that’s lazy as ####. It’s also stupid. 

The topic was people moving to Nashville with higher taxes. That is an action.

Peoples' actions lead to people discerning all sorts of things about them including, (among other things), their intellect. For instance, a thief is defined by their action of stealing, and a murderer is defined by their action of committing murder. When someone supports numerous policies that are plainly stupid, (particularly when history has demonstrated it over and over), then one can reasonably discern that that person is stupid. I will also point out the concept of the "educated idiot." Just because someone is educated does not make them smart, so so-called "academics" are not necessarily correct because of their position.

• Like 2

That’s great that you folks from Nashville think your city is due a tax increase even without the virus. Good for you. The Mayor should have made the argument as simplistic as you have. But he didn’t. This is what he said.

“Thousands of residents have lost their jobs during the pandemic, and that makes the necessary decision to raise taxes all the more difficult. And as I mentioned during the State of Metro address, the city has thinned its cash reserves to a point where we find ourselves without a rainy-day fund during a stormy season," Cooper said.

I realize taxes can't remain the same forever but 32% seems like a giant leap. I'd like to know what that comes out to for a home around $200,000. 

Here in Knox County Mayor Jacobs elected to furlough county employees over a tax increase. I was reading that the county hasn't had a property tax increase in 20 years.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I realize taxes can't remain the same forever but 32% seems like a giant leap. I'd like to know what that comes out to for a home around $200,000. 

The $2.447 billion budget has a rate increase of 32 percent, bringing the property tax rate to $4.15. That means a home valued at $300,000 would see an increase of about $750 in property taxes.  

https://www.wsmv.com/news/mayor-cooper-proposes-property-tax-increase-for-nashville/article_b380abc6-8961-11ea-8d36-932ef29b24cf.html